• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2015
    https://youtu.be/jetzB-dsz5U?t=9m58s

"It would have been a disaster if something had happened to me." sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorHumaid
    I was watching this last night. Same thoughts.
    A couple of new interviews with Horner have popped up on Youtube.

Here is one at the Royal Albert Hall split up into three clips.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kul6GvHFssg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pazHjIzFlSI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7LQA3Vvf-U

The part about the click tracks and conducting is very interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love his candidness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I love interviews with Horner. Yes, he's opinionated, but even though I have no experience in Hollywood, I can imagine his frustrations are true. His comparison of film music with the popular music industry in the DP/30 interview is spot on. I agree with you James, I cannot get my head around it either.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2015
    I've been watching various clips of movies I've never seen before on Youtube that James Horner scored. His music is always so apt for the scenes (and I even forgive him the endless spamming of the danger motif in the Enemy at the Gates clips I saw). I especially liked what I heard of The Spiderwick Chronicles. The movie itself seems like Harry Potter-lite but the action music in particular was entertainingly bombastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Enemy at the Gates is criminally underrated. The mammoth fifteen-minute opening cue is a highlight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2015 edited
    Jim Ware wrote
    Enemy at the Gates is criminally underrated. The mammoth fifteen-minute opening cue is a highlight.

There's a lot to like in it, but if there's ONE TIME the prevalence of the danger motif has annoyed me, it's this. It's in every track, and multiple times. Otherwise, I'm actually a fan of this motif (and Horner's other trademarks).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Troy makes the motif's use in Enemy at the Gates look positively restrained.
  2. I like Troy but the zillion repetitions of the danger motif make it almost feel like a self parody.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Thor wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

There's a lot to like in it, but if there's ONE TIME the prevalence of the danger motif has annoyed me, it's this. It's in every track, and multiple times. Otherwise, I'm actually a fan of this motif (and Horner's other trademarks).

Ironically, this is the score where I think it works best, as it adds to the general bleakness of the score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

Ironically, this is the score where I think it works best, as it adds to the general bleakness of the score.

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

I disagree. It's corny!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Southall wrote
    New review: To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday

http://www.movie-wave.net/to-gillian-on … -birthday/

Please do Enemy at the Gates for your next review. I'm curious on your thoughts. Broxton's too.
  5. Jim Ware wrote

I said a couple of pages back that that cue should be on every Horner's Greatest Hits playlist. Brilliant.
  6. Here's my review of SOUTHPAW which will be released on July 24th.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  7. Synchrotones wrote
    Here's my review of SOUTHPAW which will be released on July 24th.

"It all makes for a fascinating score. Not necessarily a very good one or a pleasant one, but it certainly makes for an interesting one."

I am certainly seeing a few people use "interesting" to describe Horner's score. I wonder if it's being used as a way of hiding a sense of disappointment that Horner's final score sounds quite un-Horner-like?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2015
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2015 edited
    What are the chances of any film composer getting a Taxi Driver as their swan song.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. ...much less mildly unsettling is “Suicidal Rampage”, an eight-and-a-half-minute descent into depravity featuring some startlingly aggressive synths reminiscent of the most industrial-sounding moments of Beyond Borders...

Oh dear... shocked
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am certainly seeing a few people use "interesting" to describe Horner's score. I wonder if it's being used as a way of hiding a sense of disappointment that Horner's final score sounds quite un-Horner-like?

For me... I had very little expectations for this score. When Horner said (and I paraphrase) he was doing something small, no orchestra and (I think he mention) mostly electronic.... I thought it was going to be another The Forgotten, or Flightplan or Name of the Rose.... something like that.

No, I don't particularly like the score, but it has actually turned out better (certainly more interesting) than I had expected. The overall mood, the 'colours' of the score, the quality of the synths are all a bit new to Horner. Now, I'm always interested in the technical stuff, and I do find this score genuinely "interesting", but I think you do have a point... Had it not been his last work, it would not have raised so much attention, I don't think.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2015
    Synchrotones wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

For me... I had very little expectations for this score. When Horner said (and I paraphrase) he was doing something small, no orchestra and (I think he mention) mostly electronic.... I thought it was going to be another The Forgotten, or Flightplan or Name of the Rose.

Flightplan is mostly orchestral and terrific IMHO. I certainly enjoy it much more than Forgotten and Name/Rose.
  10. BasilB wrote
    Synchrotones wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

For me... I had very little expectations for this score. When Horner said (and I paraphrase) he was doing something small, no orchestra and (I think he mention) mostly electronic.... I thought it was going to be another The Forgotten, or Flightplan or Name of the Rose.

Flightplan is mostly orchestral and terrific IMHO. I certainly enjoy it much more than Forgotten and Name/Rose.

Yeah Flightplan has some awesome crashing piano music. One of his most underrated scores in a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2015
    My long-awaited* review of the unheralded masterpiece* Red Heat:

http://www.movie-wave.net/red-heat/

*Not true
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2015
    Latest review: Windtalkers

http://www.movie-wave.net/windtalkers/

I was so convinced in my mind that this one (which I hadn't listened to for years) was very dull, I ended up having to listen to it many times over the past week, I was so taken aback at how far from dull it actually is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2015
    Couldn't agree more. Great to see someone championing this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2015
    I've always felt it was very dull too. But these days, I'm starting to re-evaluate more and more Horners in a positive light. Don't know if it's his death or if it's just my change of taste.

Maybe it's time to give THUNDERHEART another go.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. I like Windtalkers too. The theme that gets used for the action cues and heroic statements is typical uplifting Horner and the best thing about it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2015
    Latest review: Dad - http://www.movie-wave.net/dad/

Nobody ever talks about this one. It's gorgeous.
  12. It's been a very long time since I listened to the entire album, but that "Goodbyes" track at the end is a regular in my James Horner playlist. Gorgeous stuff.

Incidentally, the film is based on a novel by William Wharton, whose grandson is a good friend of mine. smile