• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorWyatt
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    Wyatt wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    He did do a good job with Spiderwick Chronicles recently IMO. So I'm expecting a bit more... wink

I thought that was pretty interesting how he was using cues from Casper in the score to Spiderwick Chronicles.

Interesting how? How is THAT interesting? Did Casper make a cameo?

-Erik-

... Sorry, I just didn't think it happened very often at all; I was just trying to make some convorsation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008
    Wyatt wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Wyatt wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    He did do a good job with Spiderwick Chronicles recently IMO. So I'm expecting a bit more... wink

I thought that was pretty interesting how he was using cues from Casper in the score to Spiderwick Chronicles.

Interesting how? How is THAT interesting? Did Casper make a cameo?

-Erik-

... Sorry, I just didn't think it happened very often at all; I was just trying to make some convorsation.

So, you are totally oblivious to Horner's self borrowing? That is one of the major reasons why a huge majority of film music fans despise the mans music.

BTW, it may seem that I'm coming off like an asshole but it's reason hard to express tone on a message board. I'm really curious though... you seriously have no idea that Horner does this sort of thing A LOT!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I assumed Wyatt was being ironic in some way?
    • CommentAuthorWyatt
    Well, no, I didnt know he self-borrowed his own music, so I wasn't trying to be ironic. I only have maybe 4 of his CDs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well let's calm down and spare the man's life now, shall we? wink If he enjoys the score, where's the problem? It's not like it's "IRON MAN" or anything, it's just Horner doing what he always does; big woop.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wyatt wrote
    Well, no, I didnt know he self-borrowed his own music, so I wasn't trying to be ironic. I only have maybe 4 of his CDs.

How many scores do you have in total just out of interest? (Don't worry, I think the vast majority of us here don't use the quantity of our CD collections as penis extensions. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well let's calm down and spare the man's life now, shall we? wink If he enjoys the score, where's the problem? It's not like it's "IRON MAN" or anything, it's just Horner doing what he always does; big woop.

Who's not calm, Mr. Melodramatic? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, drama. The Masks, the Ball, the tragic irony, the intrigue, the pathos, the war, love and death; Don't blame me, it's in my Greek blood tongue wink
    • CommentAuthorWyatt
    Around 70 scores total.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ah, drama. The Masks, the Ball, the tragic irony, the intrigue, the pathos, the war, love and death; Don't blame me, it's in my Greek blood tongue wink

Yeah, we know! dizzy biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wyatt wrote
    Around 70 scores total.

Read Erik's post and my reply to Erik's post to see why, in some ways, we envy you!
    • CommentAuthorWyatt
    Steven wrote
    Wyatt wrote
    Around 70 scores total.

Read Erik's post and my reply to Erik's post to see why, in some ways, we envy you!

I understand, but I think it'll still be a long time before I lose that feeling. I haven't got a single Jerry Goldsmith CD or anything from the "Golden Age" as I've heard it called before, only 1 Herrmann CD (The Day the Earth Stood Still), nothing by Williams made before Harry Potter with the exception of Superman. I actually anticipate building a much larger collection, but I see that it won't look so nice once I get there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008 edited
    I can assure you that 'that feeling' is NOT lost for all the people who have heard hundreds and hundreds of scores either so no worries mate, keep digging into more and more wonderful music; there's lots of it, always, no matter what wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Wyatt wrote
    Steven wrote
    Wyatt wrote
    Around 70 scores total.

I understand, but I think it'll still be a long time before I lose that feeling. I haven't got a single Jerry Goldsmith CD or anything from the "Golden Age" as I've heard it called before, only 1 Herrmann CD (The Day the Earth Stood Still), nothing by Williams made before Harry Potter with the exception of Superman. I actually anticipate building a much larger collection, but I see that it won't look so nice once I get there.

^

Man, that post remind me of myself circa 1994. I can't wait to talk to you ten years from now to see how your tastes have changed and what you think of Goldsmith. I mean, DOOD, you don't have ANY Goldsmith?! Make Star Trek: The Motion Picture your first purchase. I'm also interesting you read your opinions of Mr. Horner a few years from now once you get yourself nice and familiar with his work.

BTW, don't get me wrong, the big collection rocks! It just that there is a certain something missing now a days. It's a minor quibble.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I can assure you that 'that feeling' is NOT lost for all the people who have heard hundreds and hundreds of scores either so no worries mate, keep digging into more and more wonderful music; there's lots of it, always, no matter what wink

Well, let's not mince words here D. Erik is simply saying (and me agreeing) that something about being a collector is lost when you have such a large collection. Of course what you gain, in the end, is a different kind of magic; a wider knowledge and appreciation of music and its composers.

These would be some great scores of Williams, Goldsmith and Horner to explore if you haven't heard much by them, chosen to show the composers' differing styles and versatility:

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - John Williams
    The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams
    Schindler's List - John Williams

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan - James Horner
    Braveheart - James Horner
    The Perfect Storm - James Horner

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Jerry Goldsmith
    Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith
    Mulan - Jerry Goldsmith

(My personal rating of each would go 5 stars, 5 stars, 5 stars, 4.5 stars, 5 stars, 4.5 stars, 5 stars, 5 stars, 4.5 stars respectfully.)

....but there's so many to choose from! dizzy

Also, I would add that being on a forum like this is a kind of "learning curve" in the world of film music. You've already learnt that Horner is infamous for copying himself!

Not that I'm saying you are, but before and even during much of the time I began posting on Scorereviews, I was a complete NOOB to film music. I'm so glad and appreciative about the great deal of things I've learnt by being on this forum[s], glad that it has opened my eyes and ears to music and scores I would otherwise ignore. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Wyatt wrote
    Steven wrote
    Wyatt wrote
    Around 70 scores total.

All of us have been there. ( it will look nice but the naievette will be gone.....more's the pity )

Steven's list is great but I could easily give an entirely different list of scores and composers, as could everyone here. You'll build up in your own time and your own taste will grow. In many ways I'm so glad that when I got into film music there wasn't any internet or anything else to tell me what I should like, shouldn't like, should get, shouldn't get etc, but we don't live in those times anymore, we all move on. All I can say is if you like it that's all that counts.

p.s. When Horner is brilliant, He's seriously BRILLIANT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    "p.s. When Horner is brilliant, He's seriously BRILLIANT!"

Agreed. When he is being brilliant there are not many other composers that can top that brilliance (except Goldsmith and somewhat lesser for me...Williams)... but that's my opinion. I totally dig Horner style when he is going strong. (Krull being my all time favorite) and I have quite a collection... 500 or so OST's.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    In many ways I'm so glad that when I got into film music there wasn't any internet or anything else to tell me what I should like, shouldn't like, should get, shouldn't get etc, but we don't live in those times anymore, we all move on. All I can say is if you like it that's all that counts.

I see where you're coming from, but if it wasn't for this forum (mostly the first one) I wouldn't be listening to so many diverse scores as I am today. And I wouldn't get all this information about scores and composers, and I wouldn't be having discussions about one of my favourite things with like-minded people and... the list goes on.
  1. Wyatt, Get Horner's Willow for a taste of fantastic fantasy music and Legends of the Fall for a journey through your emotional self.

As for getting into Goldsmith, there is so much brilliant stuff he wrote, even until the very end he could come up with the most incredible scores. Star Trek The Motion Picture is good choice, but definitely get First Knight as well.

Let's not get into Williams here, there wouldn't be enough space on the internet left.

Maybe we should start a topic called 'Your recommendations for newbies' so we can introduce them gently in the wonderful world of film music.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Wyatt, Get Horner's Willow for a taste of fantastic fantasy music and Legends of the Fall for a journey through your emotional self.

As for getting into Goldsmith, there is so much brilliant stuff he wrote, even until the very end he could come up with the most incredible scores. Star Trek The Motion Picture is good choice, but definitely get First Knight as well.

Let's not get into Williams here, there wouldn't be enough space on the internet left.

Maybe we should start a topic called 'Your recommendations for newbies' so we can introduce them gently in the wonderful world of film music.

The problem with threads like that is that he'll get 100's of recommendations! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    In many ways I'm so glad that when I got into film music there wasn't any internet or anything else to tell me what I should like, shouldn't like, should get, shouldn't get etc, but we don't live in those times anymore, we all move on. All I can say is if you like it that's all that counts.

I see where you're coming from, but if it wasn't for this forum (mostly the first one) I wouldn't be listening to so many diverse scores as I am today. And I wouldn't get all this information about scores and composers, and I wouldn't be having discussions about one of my favourite things with like-minded people and... the list goes on.

A big difference between 'then' andf 'now' is that going into a record shop I would find a paltry selection of about 20 original soundtracks 'then'. I wouldn't want to go back at all, the innocent aspect made it a great and exciting adventure of discovery but it was all few and far between. Having internet access opens up limitless possibilities and despite being a 'long in the tooth' film music fan I'm still learning and discovering stuff all the time, often thanks to people here at this very board including yourself Steven.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Wyatt, Get Horner's Willow for a taste of fantastic fantasy music and Legends of the Fall for a journey through your emotional self.

The problem with threads like that is that he'll get 100's of recommendations! wink

What he should be looking for right now are introductory compilations. The Essential Jerry Goldsmith Film Music Collection or Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith is a good start.

Anyway, this is a James Horner thread... remember!

-Erik-
  2. My recommendations for Horner scores to someone without too many would have to start with Glory--a score that have gotten little to no attention in this thread. I LOVE this score. It's my favorite score. Braveheart is also excellent. I like The Perfect Storm, but every time it starts getting good this blatant electric guitar comes in and just makes the whole thing seem a bit corny. Legends of the Fall is epic. The Zorro scores are TONS of fun (Legend more so). And if you want some low key beauty, check out The Spitfire Grill.

Compilations are great, Eric. I really like The Omen: Essential Jerry Goldsmith album. It's really cheap on Amazon, too. I've heard that Silva's similar collection for Horner isn't as good.
  3. Erik Woods wrote

What he should be looking for right now are introductory compilations. The Essential Jerry Goldsmith Film Music Collection or Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith is a good start.

Anyway, this is a James Horner thread... remember!

-Erik-

Oh yeah, compilations are mainly how I started out, that Essential Goldsmith album is gold IMO and should get you foaming at the mouth.

Yes this is a James Horner thread... but he rips off others so we might as well drag those along in here biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Exactly what I said: GENTLY tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2008
    I've read "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" over the past few days. I can't remember the last thing I read which was so moving. It's an incredible book. If the fillmakers can pull this off (which will be very, very difficult) then it'll be one of the year's most important films, no question. Can't wait to hear what Horner makes of it - I just hope he doesn't make it too schmaltzy.
    • CommentAuthorWyatt
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for taking the time to write out some recommendations for me; I'll get around to hearing them eventually, but there are quite a few, so it may take awhile.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    My Horner recommendations would be my favorites:

Star Trek II
    Krull
    Aliens
    Legends of the Fall
    Braveheart
    Perfect Storm
    Legend of Zorro

other Horner titles I that own but IMO are a notch down from the above:

Willow
    Deep Impact
    Mask of Zorro
    Spiderwick Chronicles
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think Erik had the best idea though if you're not too familiar with many of X composer's works. The Goldsmith compilations suggested are excellent!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    For Goldsmith, get the Silva 40 years of Goldsmith 4CD set. It has all of Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith and Most of the Essential Goldsmith---those latter two are obsolete with the existance of the 4-discer.