• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2016
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    there is nothing wrong with Natty Gann, I just don't feel it deserves 5 stars if I would compare it with other 5 star scores

Then don't compare it to other 5 star scores. Let it live on its own merits.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    as for Brainstorm, again something in my gut tells me it doesn't deserve the perfect ranking. Something (I don't know what) is still missing

dizzy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I know what's missing ! A teeny tiny brain cell part of the logical thought neural network that is there only for the sole reason of adding another half a star to a rating.

C'mon dude, compare it to the scores of today... it deserves 7.5 stars that way ! tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. And for the record, I'm a bigger Horner fan than my brother, and even I wouldn't give Natty Gann 5 stars. Not only by comparing it to many Horner classics which means it doesn't deserve similar status, but also because it has its share of tracks that don't exactly impress. Some certainly do, others not so much.

To get 5 stars in my book, at least 75 % of the entire runtime needs to be excellent.

Fo' sho! 74 % excellence and it gets 4.5, no more ! That's how I roll, homey.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, IMO, every single note of Natty Gann is fantastic! When I first got the album from Intrada, I played over and over and over again. Dynamite music, dynamite presentation. An early Horner masterpiece.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I get that, it's gorgeous in moments, and it has some very uplifting tracks, yet it doesn't blow me away like some of his other emotional masterpieces (Legends of the Fall, Braveheart, Land Before Time, Titanic).

Maybe it's too subtle for me to really call it fantastic. I prefer the big, epic, sweeping kind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I loved it to bits when I first got the Intrada album and gave it a five star review, though I'd probably go half a star under if I rewrote it today.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Well, IMO, every single note of Natty Gann is fantastic! When I first got the album from Intrada, I played over and over and over again. Dynamite music, dynamite presentation. An early Horner masterpiece.

-Erik-

I think James and you (and definitely others) gave it 5 stars because you realized at that moment that you didn't hear proper adventure music like that anymore today, and you immediately realized it was one of the best things you heard that very same year. Or like my brother put it "compare it to the scores of today... it deserves 7.5 stars that way !"

But if we would have heard it during the time it was initially released, it would not reach the momentum of Aliens or Krull or other legendary scores.

plus I can't give Natty Gann 5 stars if I realize Krull and Legends of the Fall (to name but a few) were written before and after it as well.

Ah, each one his own idea and impression wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    there is nothing wrong with Natty Gann, I just don't feel it deserves 5 stars if I would compare it with other 5 star scores

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    as for Brainstorm, again something in my gut tells me it doesn't deserve the perfect ranking. Something (I don't know what) is still missing

dizzy

-Erik-

so you never had the feeling that something wasn't perfect, that something (no matter how small) was missing?

Again, a simple extra theme could have done it, or another mind blowing track. Details often make a difference.
  6. You Glorieux brothers are so stuck in the past...Modern film music isn't all bad you know! I can name at least five scores this year I'd take over The Journey of Natty Gann, and I really do like that score.
  7. Everything was better in the old days. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    Everything was better in the old days. wink

You would make FSM proud.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I suspect he's being facetious, which I'm told is occasionally possible for the Germans. If not, I hereby decry his name to be changed, henceforth, to Captain Retard.
  8. wink <-- !!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You may keep your name.

For now.
  9. We Germans can be so ambiguous and sinister. And sometimes we are weepy melancholics and sometimes we are full of self pity and a pain in the ass. And sometimes we are so in need of affection. And sometimes we can even be rather nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We Brits are masters of self-deprecation and yet think we're better than everyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That might just be me though.
  10. cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    We Brits are masters of self-deprecation and yet think we're better than everyone.

Think?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Right, thinking isn't your strongest suite. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2016 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    You Glorieux brothers are so stuck in the past...Modern film music isn't all bad you know! I can name at least five scores this year I'd take over The Journey of Natty Gann, and I really do like that score.

It's true, whenever I listen to music (which is all the time), 95 % of the time I'll put up something from the good old days, or from the many other musical genres that interest me. I simply don't have the time, or don't want to invest my precious time to seek out new scores, I've been burnt out by them to be honest. Most albums these days are way too long and don't hold my interest.

It's nice to be stuck in the past because the past used to be so good that getting unstuck becomes a chore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2016 edited
    The 'past is better' is a ridiculous and pernicious myth. (Which I have been on occasion guilty of perpetuating. It's a tempting fallacy.)
  12. DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    You Glorieux brothers are so stuck in the past...Modern film music isn't all bad you know! I can name at least five scores this year I'd take over The Journey of Natty Gann, and I really do like that score.

It's true, whenever I listen to music (which is all the time), 95 % of the time I'll put up something from the good old days, or from the many other musical genres that interest me. I simply don't have the time, or don't want to invest my precious time to seek out new scores, I've been burnt out by them to be honest. Most albums these days are way too long and don't hold my interest.

It's nice to be stuck in the past because the past used to be so good that getting unstuck becomes a chore.

What bollocks. Don't try and tell me Red Heat or Mr. Baseball or Romancing the Stone are better scores than The Force Awakens or Wolf Totem or Jupiter Ascending just because they're from "the good old days". Every single year in film music history has plenty of gems and plenty of shit. If you're worried about wasting time on the latter, well, that's what review sites and film music communities are for.

It's easy to only listen to your favorite scores from the 80s and 90s and remember things better than they actually were. And hell, maybe they were better. But to totally dismiss new film music is just stupid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A lack of insight + A debilitating sense of hindsight = Nonsense
  13. Edmund Meinerts wrote

2015 has been a good year i'll give you that. and again I heard a lot of scores that were better than Natty Gann this year. But there is this nostalgic feeling that everything that came from your childhood period tends to sound simply better ;-)

Ps i'm the brother who almost never listens to old music, simply because I have too many scores to try out each consecutive year :-) so I'm living in the now ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2016
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Thomas Glorieux wrote

dizzy

-Erik-

so you never had the feeling that something wasn't perfect, that something (no matter how small) was missing?

Again, a simple extra theme could have done it, or another mind blowing track. Details often make a difference.

dizzy dizzy

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2016
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I think James and you (and definitely others) gave it 5 stars because you realized at that moment that you didn't hear proper adventure music like that anymore today, and you immediately realized it was one of the best things you heard that very same year. Or like my brother put it "compare it to the scores of today... it deserves 7.5 stars that way !"

Eeeh! Sorry Thomas, wrong guess. Would you like to go for Double Jeopardy where the scores can really change?

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    But if we would have heard it during the time it was initially released, it would not reach the momentum of Aliens or Krull or other legendary scores.

It doesn't have to be legendary to be a masterpiece. Is John Powell's United 93 legendary? No... but I consider it a masterpiece and one of the very few perfect scores ever written.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    plus I can't give Natty Gann 5 stars if I realize Krull and Legends of the Fall (to name but a few) were written before and after it as well.

Yes, you most certainly can.

-Erik-
  14. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

What bollocks. Don't try and tell me Red Heat or Mr. Baseball or Romancing the Stone are better scores than The Force Awakens or Wolf Totem or Jupiter Ascending just because they're from "the good old days". Every single year in film music history has plenty of gems and plenty of shit. If you're worried about wasting time on the latter, well, that's what review sites and film music communities are for.

It's easy to only listen to your favorite scores from the 80s and 90s and remember things better than they actually were. And hell, maybe they were better. But to totally dismiss new film music is just stupid.

Hey I never said those that you mentioned are great and better than what came out recently. I just choose to listen to my favorites from the past way more frequently, as my interest in what comes out now has taken a serious nosedive, I practically don't buy new CD's anymore, the only ones I keep buying physically are the expanded special editions, because that's where my major interest in music lies (and always will). I'm not hurting anyone by doing that, correct? wink
  15. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

2015 has been a good year i'll give you that. and again I heard a lot of scores that were better than Natty Gann this year. But there is this nostalgic feeling that everything that came from your childhood period tends to sound simply better ;-)

Ps i'm the brother who almost never listens to old music, simply because I have too many scores to try out each consecutive year :-) so I'm living in the now ;-)

I feel for you buddy... I really do !!! sad
  16. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I feel for you buddy... I really do !!! sad

there are really good scores out there, really tongue
    I recommended you My All American haven't I? wink