• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thoughts from John Ottman on James Horner

Ottman is right on the money ! He basically says what I'm thinking. smile

Always cool to hear a composer talk about others that have inspired him.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2016
    Beautiful piece, James
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2016
    Hello!

Here's my review of Beyond Borders!

http://www.movie-wave.net/beyond-borders/

Thanks!

See you later!
  2. New interview with the director on Horner's score to "The Magnificent 7":
    http://nerdist.com/magnificent-seven-an … es-horner/

The director finally is asked and cleared up: Horner worte a score but he also went to an orchestra and recorded some of it, just based on the script.

By the way, even though Simon Franglen (who has worked with Horner since "Avatar") is doing the score based on the themes, Horner is credited with the music and Franglen additional on a new teaser trailer. Franglen has about a handful of scoring credits on IMDb.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016
    Wait, WHAT?
    Horner finished work on a remake of The Magnificent Seven?
    His very last score is a western? And a remake of such an iconic one as well?

Jesus, that's the best news I've read all month.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. I think "finished" is putting it strongly. It reads like he wrote a few themes and suites; and his collaborators (ie. Simon Franglen and co) finished it off.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2016
    Pfeh!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Read This.

*drops mic*
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016
    Synchrotones wrote
    Read This.

*drops mic*

Fantastic! I'll buy it. I was sitting almost right behind Horner in this concert (as did several other members here), so I feel it's part of "me" as much as it is film music history.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. For those that don't FaceBook.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.

6. Uhm.. You don't need to 'do' FB to see it.
  7. Probably due to added security in our fucked-up country. We need to log on to see anything. And I refuse to log on, create an account, become a member of this monstrosity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2016 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Probably due to added security in our fucked-up country. We need to log on to see anything. And I refuse to log on, create an account, become a member of this monstrosity.

You do well. I need it for work, but other than that it's a total waste of time and life. Huge field of wasted egos and crappy-fake life profiles, overly-perfect and positive.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. The way I see it, FB does more harm than good. Attacking, humiliating people while behind a keyboard is pretty easy compared to doing it face to face.

Also, everyone nowadays can post an opinion on something, even if it's completely ridiculous. A lot of opinionated dumbasses out there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2016 edited
    Your experience with facebook is apparently quite different from mine. I don't post as much as I used to back in the "early days" (2007-2010), but it's still an extremely valuable tool for staying in touch, attending events, looking out for job opportunities, planning stuff and promoting my film music webcast etc.. I'm not friends with the 'dumbasses', and if someone DOES become a dumbass -- or spams my feed -- I can either delete him or her, or choose to ignore his or her updates.

Facebook is what you yourself make it out to be. It HAS become a social medium for the 30+ age group, though, as most youngsters seem to have fled elsewhere.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Facebook is just an extension of life. What you get out of it depends on who you decide to spend time with and pay attention to. Choose your friends wisely.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2016
    nothing wrong with facebook that can't be dealt with by deleting or ignoring.

For me it's a great way of keeping in touch with those friends of mine from further afield.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Well just to bring things back on topic I'm absolutely thrilled that this concert is being released in such high quality, it was a very special evening (shared with members of this forum) so it's such a treat to get a copy to relive the experience at home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The only thing that would make it better would be including a CD recording of the concert in the package.
  11. Southall wrote
    The only thing that would make it better would be including a CD recording of the concert in the package.

Even better would be the CD being available separately (if that's not an option already).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

What about a video of the pre- and post-concert shenanigans?
    I am extremely serious.
  12. I'm happier for those to live in the memory... I prefer to hold onto the delusion in my brain that things remained nothing but classy the entire evening! ;-)
  13. A cd would be great but if it's one or the other in this case I'd definitely prefer the video. Can't wait to get my hands on it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

What about a video of the pre- and post-concert shenanigans?

I assume the bonus features will include a documentary about our attempts to find a karaoke location. I'm writing the commentary track for the feature about my fondue the night after the concert, too. ("More chips!")
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2016
    A MUST LISTEN!

Here is a program that I was more than honoured to be apart of.

A programme researched and written by Jason Drury.

Jason once again presents a superbly written programme with intimate detail written with a passion for his subject of film music. aided and abetted by by two colleagues Roger Allen and Jan-Clare Side. Listeners will find this programme a fascinating insight into one of the worlds great film music composers. Listen and enjoy

Thanks to Nick Redman, Conrad Pope, Chris Malone, Dirk Wickenden, Jeff Bond, Jason Needs, Steve Bramson, Tim Greiving and David Hocquet.

Special Thanks to Erik Woods, Robert Daniels, Roger Allen, Jan Clare-Side and Kent Atelier Sound productions and archive recordings (Kaspaar)

Programme includes excerpts from BAFTA’s interview with James Horner as part of their Conversations with Screen Composers series at the Royal Albert Hall.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Kaspaar/the-li … er-part-1/

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  14. I have genuine goosebumps. What a tremendous show bringing tribute to my number one composer. love

Thanks to everyone involved.
  15. Horner studied with György Ligeti in Hamburg? One of several things I learned from this great programme.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  16. The quick succession of great Horner cues brought me to tears. Bring on Part 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2016
    ^ I felt that same way.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  17. Well, the score in-film from "The Magnificent Seven" is coming:
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2016/06/21 … oundtrack/

Now, that just leaves the early demo score Horner recorded with an orchestra before he died, to be released.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.