• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Wow, what an incredible interview. I think we will be in good hands if Franglen manages to work himself into a career out of this. My two favorite excerpts:

Justin's interview link wrote
    What was the mood like at the recording sessions? Do you think the musicians felt that they were making history, as well as providing the last notes of it?

Love, genuinely. At the beginning we all took a minute of silence for James, a man that many of us had known for two to three decades, a man who was as full of love for the musicians in that room as they were for him. He was never happier than on the stand with his band. This was a labor of love for all concerned and you can clearly hear that sense of community between everyone in the recording. They wanted to do their very best for their departed friend.

How important is it for you now to step into your own place, and voice as a film composer? And what can people expect from it?

I hope that in the coming years I can remind people that machines can breathe and flow as well as groove in 4/4, that orchestral writing is not a box of samples playing at full volume, that emotion in music is a good thing and most importantly, themes are not old fashioned. Finding the soul of a film in the score is what I love to do.

Aw hell yeah kiss

Also, it sounds like Franglen was essential to the creation of the Avatar "sound", which I found interesting. So if he and the rest of the former Horner team have knocked M7 out of the park as much as early reviews suggest they have, in terms of capturing Horner's "voice"...I dearly hope that is enough to convince Cameron to sign Franglen for Avatar 2+. I don't want to go back to that world without that musical voice. It would feel just as, if not more wrong than a Star Wars saga score without Williams or a Middle Earth score without Howard Shore. Horner's music is inextricably woven into the heart of Pandora and it just wouldn't be the same without it, or something very close.
  2. One of my favorite parts of the interview:

Do you wish there was more of that kind of unabashedly orchestral scoring going on now?

Damn right.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2016
    Here's Franglen's interview with the CBC. He mentions the "Danger Motif" by name!!!!!

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/12675/the- … n-franglen

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Here are my thoughts on Horner/Franglen's THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN: http://wp.me/p3hOx4-12a
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  4. My review of THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/09/23/the- … -franglen/

Jon
  5. Jon Broxton wrote
    My review of THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/09/23/the- … -franglen/

Jon

Hmm...you don't consider Faraday's Ride to contain an "enormous, sweeping statement of a breathtaking theme"?

Also, considering it's inclusion of loving re-recordings of some of Horner's best tracks, I really feel like Collage as an album was really meant to be that perfect cathartic moment whose loss you are (legitimately) lamenting. I'm honestly surprised I haven't heard more buzz about this album, both before and after it's release....seems like almost no one even knows about it.
  6. I'm actually a little disappointed with the Collage suite. I have yet to properly put it into words, but it feels a bit lacklustre to me. The First In Flight cues are lovely though. Overall... I actually prefer Magnificent Seven.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2016
    I think it's incredible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's OK. In fact, it's all OK. But the last truly GREAT thing that Horner wrote was AVATAR in 2009. Nothing he wrote after that came close, although several things had bits and pieces of brilliance.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    His two concert works I would call truly great, especially Pas De Deux. That final movement is as good anything in Avatar. Wolf Totem is growing on me with each listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2016 edited
    Meh.

But it's better than Goldsmith's LOONEY TUNES, I'll give you that (in terms of swansongs).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't think anything beats Bernard Herrmann's TAXI DRIVER as far as swansongs go.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I don't think anything beats Bernard Herrmann's TAXI DRIVER as far as swansongs go.

I think that's a fair assumption, yes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't think he wrote anything as good as Avatar afterwards, but Wolf Totem and Pas de Deux are both superb. (And I really like Collage.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In terms of swansongs, Georges Delerue's Rich in Love may not be Taxi Driver but it's a really lovely score that seems to sum him up. Didn't he die within hours of completing the recording?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

And Schubert.
  7. If anyone is interested who loves Avatar, try to track down the Deluxe 2CD Edition of Avatar by SonicAdventure. Available in a certain location (PM if you do not understand and wish to). It's a properly mastered (i.e. sound quality) and arranged (i.e. combining the tracks into album-friendly order and length) reworking of the promo that came out a few years ago. It's one of the few times that listening to a complete release is actually more rewarding than listening to the original proper release, and it includes some of the most magical parts of the score which were somehow withheld from the original release. With long, suite-like tracks reminiscent of the classic official Horner albums of yore, it's quite possibly the very best fan-edited release I've ever heard.
  8. If I didn't knew better, I would think you were promoting a bootleg here. But of course you would never do that, wouldn't you? wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  9. ...since when can't we talk about bootlegs here? (I mean, I guess not offer to share them...but still)

And yeah, Avatar is worth seeking out in complete form for "Quaritch Down" and "Fight to the Death" alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    If I didn't knew better, I would think you were promoting a bootleg here. But of course you would never do that, wouldn't you? wink

The horror.
  10. Apologies if i am out of line. It's not like I get anything out of anyone finding it. Personally I don't have any qualms about obtaining by whatever means music that will never the light of day otherwise...especially when it's written by a beloved recently departed composer.

To me, the most important missing cue is the gigantic main theme statement accompanying the "Eywa Has Heard You" moment where the tides turn in the finale battle...that was pure Horner magnificence.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2016 edited
    I have no interest in any more music from AVATAR. The only exception would perhaps be if I could replace some of the action material towards the end of the album with more magic stuff, because it gets a little too massive there -- listening-wise.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Apologies if i am out of line. It's not like I get anything out of anyone finding it. Personally I don't have any qualms about obtaining by whatever means music that will never the light of day otherwise...especially when it's written by a beloved recently departed composer.

Volker's being a prude, don't worry about it.
  11. Well, yes, I am, when it comes to copyright laws. Comes with the job, I guess. shame But I am no administrator here and it's not my place to lecture anyone.
    I don't mind to hand on digital copies here and there of music that I have myself legally obtained. Especially if I know that the receiver wouldn't buy the music anyway.
    Yet I don't think that we are entitled to own music that we desire to own. So the "that would never see the light of day other wise" argument is a Robin Hood kind of argument that I don't think is valid. But anyway.
    I believe that wide spread bootlegs are the very thing that might prevent legitimate releases.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I believe that widespread bootlegs, due to the generally terrible quality both in sound and production, create massive demand due to them whetting the appetite.

Case in point: Godzilla, Robocop, Ferris Bueller....
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. Martijn wrote
    I believe that widespread bootlegs, due to the generally terrible quality both in sound and production, create massive demand due to them whetting the appetite.

Yes, I agree. There are several examples I have where I couldn't wait for legitimate versions of bootlegs to be released. Alien, Predator, Seven are personal examples.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

Most 'bootlegs' (which are mostly recording sessions) are fine these days. They provide fans the raw materials, and this particular Avatar fan edit is expertly created. Too long an album, but the editing is great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    Most 'bootlegs' (which are mostly recording sessions) are fine these days. They provide fans the raw materials, and this particular Avatar fan edit is expertly created. Too long an album, but the editing is great.

Fair enough. Can't really comment as I never listen to recording sessions. Wayyyy too long.
    The only bootlegs I ever owned were basically CD length (which makes sense I guess, because they were on CD.. dizzy )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall