• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorWyatt
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008
    tjguitar wrote
    For Goldsmith, get the Silva 40 years of Goldsmith 4CD set. It has all of Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith and Most of the Essential Goldsmith---those latter two are obsolete with the existance of the 4-discer.
    This the one: http://www.amazon.com/40-Years-Of-Film- … mp;sr=8-1?

This is really getting off the topic of James Horner, sorry about that.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Yeah, thats the MP3 Album, its also availble on CD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009KIYDG
  1. tjguitar wrote
    My Horner recommendations would be my favorites:

Star Trek II
    Krull
    Aliens
    Legends of the Fall
    Braveheart
    Perfect Storm
    Legend of Zorro

other Horner titles I that own but IMO are a notch down from the above:

Willow
    Deep Impact
    Mask of Zorro
    Spiderwick Chronicles

WHAT??? No Titanic! Surely there are a few people left on the planet who don't own this?

I would also add Apollo 13 and The Land Before Time to that list.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How can anyone put Legend above Mask!? Mask is clearly the better score! It follows the more emotional narrative of the film and it makes a more dramatic album. Sure, Legend is fun, but it doesn't have nearly the emotional impact and swashbuckle as Mask.

You people are crazy! shocked biggrin

wink
  2. tjguitar wrote

To come back on topic, do never ever buy one of the Horner re-recordings. They truly sound awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Antineutrino wrote
    tjguitar wrote

To come back on topic, do never ever buy one of the Horner re-recordings. They truly sound awful.

Some of the originals sound as horrible too wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree. Humanoids from the Deep, 48 Hours, Commando, Another 48 Hours and Jade aren't very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008
    I had a look at Spiderwick Chronicles a few days ago. I just had to post here and say that my god, even if some of the material is familiar (fats slides back and forth between high and low registers, and of course the Casper lullaby), I don't think there are many composers who write to picture so elegantly and beautifully as Horner. It's like a ballet. Graceful, sophisticated. I'm really impressed, and I had forgotten how good Horner is at this. I'd take any Horner score, be it 100% recycled material, over any Zimmer clone wall-to-wallpaper score ANY DAY.

mc
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    WORD!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Absolutely. I listened to Spiderwick just yesterday, and while not among Horner's best, it still trumps much of what's been written this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    moviescore wrote
    I had a look at Spiderwick Chronicles a few days ago. I just had to post here and say that my god, even if some of the material is familiar (fats slides back and forth between high and low registers, and of course the Casper lullaby), I don't think there are many composers who write to picture so elegantly and beautifully as Horner. It's like a ballet. Graceful, sophisticated. I'm really impressed, and I had forgotten how good Horner is at this.

Agreed. He has a pretty unique approach to film scoring, and I just love it. Some people don't like it - which is fine - but I have to say that if I were a filmmaker and I had the budget to get an A-grade composer, I'd go with Horner every time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    moviescore wrote
    I had a look at Spiderwick Chronicles a few days ago. I just had to post here and say that my god, even if some of the material is familiar (fats slides back and forth between high and low registers, and of course the Casper lullaby), I don't think there are many composers who write to picture so elegantly and beautifully as Horner. It's like a ballet. Graceful, sophisticated. I'm really impressed, and I had forgotten how good Horner is at this.

Agreed. He has a pretty unique approach to film scoring, and I just love it. Some people don't like it - which is fine - but I have to say that if I were a filmmaker and I had the budget to get an A-grade composer, I'd go with Horner every time.

Good lord... seriously? Why don't you just temp your film with Horner material and pay the licensing fee. Same difference.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Bring on the "Avatar" score already. Geez.

;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    moviescore wrote

Good lord... seriously? Why don't you just temp your film with Horner material and pay the licensing fee. Same difference.

-Erik-

He's not that bad. Besides as a filmmaker, you can tell him not to directly quote himself. Worked for Steven Zaillian in "All the King's Men" where the only cue that he blatantly ripped himself off was rescored (but still made it onto the album). . If put to the challenge, Horner can still churn out remarkable work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    moviescore wrote

-Erik-

He's not that bad. Besides as a filmmaker, you can tell him not to directly quote himself. Worked for Steven Zaillian in "All the King's Men" where the only cue that he blatantly ripped himself off was rescored (but still made it onto the album). . If put to the challenge, Horner can still churn out remarkable work.

Not saying that he can't... I'm not going to beat a dead horse here but I don't see the appeal of Spiderwick when i can either turn on Casper and hear the theme where it belongs and/or listen to far more original and interesting early Horner fantasy scores. The only cue that does ANYTHING for me is the "The Flight of the Griffin" which is superb.

And of course Horner's music is far superior to most of what is being composed today but my biggest turn off is Horner's lack of giving these films an original musical identity.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    moviescore wrote

-Erik-

All the King's men by Horner was one of the most outstanding scores i've heard the last 5 years. I agree with Erik that he's above the average standard of what's being written today, way above, but i find that usually he reserves all his best of energy for the big productions whilst on smaller movies and / or movies of lesser profile, he usually resembles older works of his.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    All the King's men by Horner was one of the most outstanding scores i've heard the last 5 years.

I will have to return to this because while I loved the John Williams inspired main theme however I did find the rest of the score unbearably repetitive.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Erik Woods wroteNot saying that he can't... I'm not going to beat a dead horse here but I don't see the appeal of Spiderwick when i can either turn on Casper and hear the theme where it belongs and/or listen to far more original and interesting early Horner fantasy scores. The only cue that does ANYTHING for me is the "The Flight of the Griffin" which is superb.

It sounds like you are referring to the music on CD? For the record, I was talking more about how elegantly Horner writes to picture and how extremely well his music works in the film context. I agree with you - it would have been nice if everything was original and new, but what I am impressed by is his technique. You can almost hear that he isn't conducting to click, because the music has such a natural, organic flow - like I said, almost ballet-like.

mc
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    All the King's men by Horner was one of the most outstanding scores i've heard the last 5 years.

I will have to return to this because while I loved the John Williams inspired main theme however I did find the rest of the score unbearably repetitive.

-Erik-

I think anyone who calls it a great score has not seen how resolutely it kills the film. The film was not going well, but no matter whose to blame (composer/director/whatever), the score just didn't fix anything.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008 edited
    I haven't watched the film but if it was a flop, what could Horner do about it? on CD, it is a rather pleasant musical experience with gorgeous themes; that's enough for me in this case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008
    moviescore wrote
    Erik Woods wroteNot saying that he can't... I'm not going to beat a dead horse here but I don't see the appeal of Spiderwick when i can either turn on Casper and hear the theme where it belongs and/or listen to far more original and interesting early Horner fantasy scores. The only cue that does ANYTHING for me is the "The Flight of the Griffin" which is superb.

It sounds like you are referring to the music on CD? For the record, I was talking more about how elegantly Horner writes to picture and how extremely well his music works in the film context. I agree with you - it would have been nice if everything was original and new, but what I am impressed by is his technique. You can almost hear that he isn't conducting to click, because the music has such a natural, organic flow - like I said, almost ballet-like.

mc

I'll give you that one. But then again, a good percentage of scores WORK in the film... shit music or not.

-Erik-
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    I haven't watched the film but if it was a flop, what could Horner do about it? on CD, it is a rather pleasant musical experience with gorgeous themes; that's enough for me in this case.

Its floppiness was endogenous to his efforts, regrettably. I believe he took a below average film (thanks to Sean Penn and Steve Zaillian) and made it a very below average film. The way he thunders on in moments when we're meant to grasp some symbolic portent is beyond all sense of proportion. I found it impossible to listen to after seeing the film. I never want to hear that score again, except perhaps the cue I don't remember hearing in the film, 'Conjuring the Hick Vote'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So bad eh? Is the original any better? That was scored by ADRIAN JOHNSTON if i am not mistaken....i have a gorgeous score by him entitled ALL THE KINGS MEN, must be that film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    moviescore wrote

I haven't seen Spiderwick (or All the King's Men!) but I am just mesmerised by his approach to film scoring. Mikael is spot-on when he calls it balletic. It's slightly aloof which no doubt puts some people off, but I think it takes real confidence to sit back and offer the kind of singular, organic approach he does, and if it weren't for an octogenarian Italian then I would say he's the finest film scorer alive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    ...if it weren't for an octogenarian Italian then I would say he's the finest film scorer alive.

shocked

GOOD LORD!

-Erik-
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    So bad eh? Is the original any better? That was scored by ADRIAN JOHNSTON if i am not mistaken....i have a gorgeous score by him entitled ALL THE KINGS MEN, must be that film.

The original was made in 1949, and I've actually never seen it. I believe the music for it was mostly stock music out of the studio library, including some cues by Balaneikoff. Despite the original film winning an Oscars for best picture and best actor, it was known at the time to be a very troubled post-production. (One of the best editing stories I've heard, true or not, comes from this film.)

I think the Adrian Johnston score you're thinking of was from another story altogether about World War One, and the Australian assault on the Turkish at Gallipoli. It might have been called All the King's Men, but I can't remember.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The original was made in 1949, and I've actually never seen it. I believe the music for it was mostly stock music out of the studio library, including some cues by Balaneikoff. Despite the original film winning an Oscars for best picture and best actor, it was known at the time to be a very troubled post-production. (One of the best editing stories I've heard, true or not, comes from this film.)

I think the Adrian Johnston score you're thinking of was from another story altogether about World War One, and the Australian assault on the Turkish at Gallipoli. It might have been called All the King's Men, but I can't remember.

This is the Adrian Johnston one : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220969/
  7. Southall wrote
    ... if it weren't for an octogenarian Italian then I would say he's the finest film scorer alive.

That's pretty generous to one of those guys. wink

Balletic though it may be, Horner tends to press some pretty conventional emotional buttons that makes him for me, as a presence in a story, unwelcome. He always tells me when two lovers are really in love when I can already see it in their eyes. He always tells me exactly when that love becomes complicated. Everything that should be up for grabs is fixed into place by the interpretation his music encourages.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    ... if it weren't for an octogenarian Italian then I would say he's the finest film scorer alive.

That's pretty generous to one of those guys. wink

Balletic though it may be, Horner tends to press some pretty conventional emotional buttons that makes him for me, as a presence in a story, unwelcome. He always tells me when two lovers are really in love when I can already see it in their eyes. He always tells me exactly when that love becomes complicated. Everything that should be up for grabs is fixed into place by the interpretation his music encourages.

Och! I actually think that of all the A-list Americans (Williams, Elfman, Howard) he's the only one who even makes an attempt to do anything than just commentate on what you can already see. Leonard Rosenman had a few words to say about that sort of thing!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'll give you that one. But then again, a good percentage of scores WORK in the film... shit music or not.

The difference between Horner's music and others that also WORK, is that it has a certain touch - it is exquisitely elegant, graceful, sophisticated in its dynamic relationship to the pictures, the movement, the pacing, the editing. It does so much more than only work! IMO of course.

mc