• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007
    I think Southall entered a period in his life, where only goats and ripoffs are constants in life.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007
    The interesting thing with Horner is that unlike others he's obviously not being inspired by the temp-track to do this (Ron Howard is hardly likely to have put Schumann over the opening titles to Willow) so it's coming from elsewhere. As you say, these two are similar, not identical... in this case maybe it was even a subconscious thing.
  1. This piece is a very famous music in a tv programm in Germany runnng for many, many years or so. I knew this piece before I first heard Willow and I did not even think a second that it's based on it.
  2. Put in the context of the man's career. He is surely the most egregious re-packager of the musical ideas of others that film music has seen in this generation. I generally enjoy it, but I'd say he's earned the 'disadvantage (as opposed to the benefit) of the doubt' - if it sounds awfully familiar with James Horner, it probably is.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Antineutrino wrote
    The Spiderwick Chronicles soundtrack album will be released by Lakeshore Records:
    http://www.spiderwickchronicles.com/images/credits.jpg

A peek at the cover art can now be found at www.myspace.com/lakeshorerecords . Release date seems to be February 5.
  4. Where do you see the release date? confused
  5. Antineutrino wrote
    Where do you see the release date? confused

Just scroll over the iTunes button and the date should appear.
  6. Thanks. smile
    This didn't work with Opera, only with IE.
  7. Larger version of the Spiderwick cover: http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/8730 … lesrt7.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Quite a good looking cover. Let's hope the score will be as darkly mysterious as the cover reflects.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    BobdH wrote
    Quite a good looking cover. Let's hope the score will be as darkly mysterious as the cover reflects.

Exactly what I think too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. In Bloom is now called The Life Before Her Eyes (like the novel) and will be released on April 18th. -> http://promo.magpictures.com/2008%20Pre … 0SLATE.doc

I hope there will be a score release.
  9. Varese comes to save?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    As long as there are realises to "scores" like "Michael Clayton", there will definitely be a realise of "The Life Before Her Eyes" (at least, I hope so...;-)).

Ps.: don't get me wrong. I like JNH music but think, that scores like the mentioned above are not that satisfying realises...
  10. Back in the day I was maybe the biggest Horner fanboy on the face of the earth, though that's still true for some of the classics he wrote, I'm beginning to hate the man's obsession with reusing material over and over and just not composing as exciting as he used to. His 80s scores and some of his 90s stuff are still fantastic but after 2000 it went downhill rapidly. Apart from Legend of Zorro, which is full of recycled material but actually is an exciting and fun listen and the greatest thing he did since The Perfect Storm.

But for Braveheart he has earned my deepest respect.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    DreamTheater wrote
    Back in the day I was maybe the biggest Horner fanboy on the face of the earth, though that's still true for some of the classics he wrote, I'm beginning to hate the man's obsession with reusing material over and over and just not composing as exciting as he used to. His 80s scores and some of his 90s stuff are still fantastic but after 2000 it went downhill rapidly. Apart from Legend of Zorro, which is full of recycled material but actually is an exciting and fun listen and the greatest thing he did since The Perfect Storm.

But for Braveheart he has earned my deepest respect.

Agree.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007
    Useless Top 5 Horner list:

1.) Star Trek 2
    2.) Legend of Zorro
    3.) Krull
    4.) Aliens
    5.) Battle Beyond the Stars
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007
    tjguitar wrote
    Useless Top 5 Horner list:

1.) Star Trek 2
    2.) Legend of Zorro
    3.) Krull
    4.) Aliens
    5.) Battle Beyond the Stars

Not a bad list!

I'd go with 1, 3 and 4 cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. 1.) Star Trek 2/3
    2.) Aliens
    3.) Legends of the Fall
    4.) An American Tail
    5.) Titanic
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007
    The Spiderwick Chronicles is available on iTunes now.
    Kazoo
  12. I've listened to Spiderwick twice now and it's for me easily the best film music I've heard in 2007. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ah, someone positive! How do you rate it in comparison to other scores from Horney?
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Antineutrino wrote
    I've listened to Spiderwick twice now and it's for me easily the best film music I've heard in 2007. punk

How long is it? Is there any mainstream song?
  13. msia2k75 wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    I've listened to Spiderwick twice now and it's for me easily the best film music I've heard in 2007. punk

How long is it? Is there any mainstream song?

No song and 71 minutes of score.
  14. BobdH wrote
    Ah, someone positive! How do you rate it in comparison to other scores from Horney?

There's a theme that sounds very similar to Caspar'sLullaby. Aside from that there's not much reminding me of other Horner scores apart from the typical Horner sound.

The highlight are the last three tracks which run 20 minutes altogether. The harpsichord is used very well throughout the score. And there's quite a few dissonant music for a children film.
  15. ..and most importantly there's not a single second in this score sounding like minimal music...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007 edited
    Hehe, I KNEW I would get that kind of awnser and almost added another sentence to make clear I didn't mean that... I more meant something like; 'well, its better then Titanic, but it just can't hold up against Casper... It's the best Horner in years though" wink

We know it rips off of other Horners (Bregt also told me a number of others Horner-scores where it refers to), it's what you've come to expect from him, and from what I've heard from Spiderwick, it reminds me quite a bit of a dozen other elements of Casper. But I love that score, so I really want to open my mind to Spiderwick smile
  16. I think that Spiderwick Chronicles is the dark brother of Casper.

By the way, there's no Tony Hinnigan or Katsu Masui in this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007 edited
    Antineutrino wrote
    I think that Spiderwick Chronicles is the dark brother of Casper.

Ah, now that definitely sounds very interesting! lick
  17. BobdH wrote
    Hehe, I KNEW I would get that kind of awnser and almost added another sentence to make clear I didn't mean that... I more meant something like; 'well, its better then Titanic, but it just can't hold up against Casper... It's the best Horner in years though" wink

We know it rips off of other Horners (Bregt also told me a number of others Horner-scores where it refers to), it's what you've come to expect from him, and from what I've heard from Spiderwick, it reminds me quite a bit of a dozen other elements of Casper. But I love that score, so I really want to open my mind to Spiderwick smile

dizzy

I think it's better than Titanic. wink

But I'm not very good in comparing different scores. In my book it's a 4 - 5 stars score. I like it more than The Golden Compass, for example.