• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorpacey1800
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007
    How do you download it? I went to the web site and I can't find where to download it. By the way, they played some more of the Up To The Minute theme this morning but I have to put it on DVD and I can't do that because my drive is broke.
    • CommentAuthorpacey1800
    Never mind, I found it.
    • CommentAuthorNick
    I have a longer version I made a few days ago.
    • CommentAuthorpacey1800
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    I'd like to hear it if possible, but it was so hard to find out where to download on that page you sent me. Is it in the files you sent?
    • CommentAuthorNick
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007 edited
    I had nothing to do with the files uploaded here - Antineutrino probably just uploaded files I made and sent out a long time ago, as I've uploaded several versions in the past - revisions and so on. I have no idea what he downloaded and kept, so I don't know what he uploaded now. My newest edit was made a couple of days ago and I haven't done anything with it.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentAuthorpacey1800
    Thanks but I got those particular files already. Nick, if you upload anything else, please let me know.
    • CommentAuthorpacey1800
    How do you download them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    pacey1800 wrote
    How do you download them?

From the link above, go to the bottom and click where it says:

Download Link: CBS Theme Samples.rar
    • CommentAuthorNick
    I'll upload that slightly longer "Up To The Minute" theme soon. Other than that, I've only done refinements to the "Main Theme", which basically means I cleaned up the edits in it since it was stitched together from different recordings. Things like balance - trumpet on the wrong side (supposed to be on the right side) were fixed.
    • CommentAuthorpacey1800
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    I already downloaded that file and those files are the same as the initial set of files that came out, they haven't been updated. I meant to ask, how do you download the files listed in Antineutrino's link? One theme I did hear but was never able to get was the alternate close with the trumpet solo at the end, which was heard on the Morning News. The overnight news is probably the best chance to get any of this music, in addition to any time that there is special news coverage such as elections or things like that. Unfortunately I do not have a way to transfer any of this music to mp3 because I have to burn the video from which it originates onto DVD and record from the external audio and my DVD recorder is broke. I did at one time try to record from the VCR to the computer with this pink wire I put in in the back of the TV but the TV as it is now is too far away from the computer to do that.
    • CommentAuthorNick
    First, never save anything directly as an mp3. Save as WAV files instead. WAVs are uncompressed and therefore sound best.
    If you must save to mp3, or convert to mp3 for uploading, never, and I mean NEVER encode an mp3 at 128kbps or lower. They sound like garbage.

Best thing to do for mp3 is save them at:

-Quality 100 VBR

or

320kbps
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wise and lucid words Nick. cool
    • CommentAuthorpacey1800
    Thanks. I will try not to do that anymore. Some of you who were on the old Shrine know this, but Horner's CBS theme inspired me to compose a news theme of my own. I have some samples of it if anyone wants to hear, they are in .wav format and I used a new, more professional program called Notion Protege to write the music. I got it for Christmas, and I tweaked some of the sounds and tried to give the material more depth musically at least. Since I am worried about copyright concerns since these new versions have not been copyrighted, I will send the first few files in a .zip folder to anyone who is interested. I also have found a way to incorporate Horner's theme into mine by using the first six notes of his theme and then the four note Voyage signature into it, if any of the news theme music companies need a customized version for CBS stations. I have yet to work on it though.
    • CommentAuthorNick
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007 edited
    Steven wrote
    Wise and lucid words Nick. cool

Thanks, man. smile

New CBS theme folder - December 2007

This zip folder contains 4 tracks.
    - Main theme (faster second half)
    -Main theme (slower second half)
    -Short commercial bumper
    -Up To The Minute extended

As I said, the main theme tracks were cleaned up a bit, and are pretty much the complete theme unlike the ones uploaded before, which I made long before I had all the right recordings of the theme to assemble the complete version.

It's about 8mb or so. 320kbps mp3 files.

I'd love to hear your new themes, as I enjoyed your originals.
    • CommentAuthorpacey1800
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007 edited
    Amazon.com has now listed the Spiderwick Chronicles cd. Release is still February 5th. -> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00120H3RU
  1. 1. Writing the Chronicles (3:03)
    2. So Many New Worlds Revealed (5:12)
    3. Thimbletack and the Goblins (5:15)
    4. Hogsqueal's Warning of a Bargain With Mulgarath (5:16)
    5. Discovering Spiderwick's Secret Workshop (3:24)
    6. Dark Armies from the Forest Attack (3:06)
    7. Burning the Book (2:43)
    8. A Desperate Run Through the Tunnels (4:47)
    9. Lucinda's Story (6:01)
    10. The Flight of the Griffin (6:55)
    11. Escape from the Glade (4:44)
    12. The Protective Circle Is Broken...! (2:07)
    13. Jared and Mulgarath Fight for the Chronicles (4:17)
    14. Coming Home (6:17)
    15. Closing Credits (8:23)

The temptation to write a cue over 10mins long must have been massive, but somehow he managed.
    Assuming we got no "bleed through" tracks.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2008
    There aren't.
  2. After a first listen, I must say Spiderwick is Horner's most interesting work in years, though Casper creeps in at times. It wouldn't be a Horner score without some good old references. Seems he still has it, not in the grand 80s way, but in the late 90s way, which was still good by current standards IMO.

This may definitely become a buy for me, seeing how I've been moderately to extremely disappointed with his work these last years (Troy, The forgotten, Flightplan, Apocalypto to name a few).

Now I'm actually seeing him return to form for Avatar... hopefully... Well the previous two collaborations with James Cameron resulted in genious scores so I'm hopeful.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Troy is a lot better than Spiderwick IMO. Spiderwick is good, and I like it... but for me it really does lack a certain something. A stronger main theme perhaps?

I never criticise Horner for re-using older material, because he usually manages to make something equally as interesting - if not more - than the previous usage. But not with this score unfortunately. I'd rather listen to Casper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've listened to it a few times. I find it a pretty strong album, though it seems to lack Horner's usual focus - it meanders a bit. In terms of his recent albums, I'd certainly place it behind The New World, Troy, The Legend of Zorro and Beyond Borders. Probably one or two others.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2008
    After my first listens I gave to "Spiderwick", I really had similar feelings about the lack of a strong main theme you, as a listener, could follow more easly... like Steven. But I've listend to the score a lot more during the last couple a days and it's really growing on me. There are brilliant passages and especially a lot of action material that makes a lot of fun to listen to. I especially like Horners us of brass here (remembers me sometimes a bit about "the perfect Storm"). Some action highlights for me are the ending of "Dark Armies from the Forest Attack", then the almost sacral use of Brass in "Burning the book" (after 1:11), "A desperat Run through the tunnels" and of course the fantastic "Flight of the Griffin". I also like the two last tracks... they give the score a nice more calm ending.
    I really like Horners newst score! Makes a lot of fun to listen to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    My favorite part of Spiderwick is the little melody that appears in the middle of "So Many New Worlds Revealed" that's like a more epic version of the Spitfire Grill theme.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Scribe wrote
    My favorite part of Spiderwick is the little melody that appears in the middle of "So Many New Worlds Revealed" that's like a more epic version of the Spitfire Grill theme.

Jep, that really is a catchy little melody. One of those thematical "nods" I've hoped he would keep on to during further traks of the album. Perhaps in the score for a possible sequel... ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    BasilB wrote
    Jep, that really is a catchy little melody. One of those thematical "nods" I've hoped he would keep on to during further traks of the album. Perhaps in the score for a possible sequel... ;-)

Or just his next score, who knows? tongue
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2008 edited
    BobdH wrote
    BasilB wrote

Or just his next score, who knows? tongue

Yea, right! wink
  3. Just occurred to me out of thin air when another Horner idea came from...

That beautiful rolling piano climax of 'A Dark Cloud is Lifted Forever' from THE NEW WORLD is based on Camille Saint-Saen's 'Organ Symphony'. (Minus the organ, of course!)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. The only thing both pieces have in common is a fast playing piano... but of course it's by Horner, so it has to be a rip-off.

Thank god he is the only composer in the history of film music who has ever taen ideas out of classical music. I could not imagine how Star Wars would have sounded if it wasn't so highly original. smile