• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    I absolutely loved the trailer and i can't wait to listen to the score; i am very confident we're in for a great score from Mr.JNH, again.

Oh; we are talking Horner's avatar? Yeah......that. uhm
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I absolutely loved the trailer and i can't wait to listen to the score; i am very confident we're in for a great score from Mr.JNH, again.

Oh; we are talking Horner's avatar? Yeah......that. uhm

Huh?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Well....I'm not a great fan of Horner anymore, but I can have an orgasm if he retuns to his braintorm and Aliens style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Your loss.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Well....I'm not a great fan of Horner anymore, but I can have an orgasm if he retuns to his braintorm and Aliens style.

That seems rather unlikely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

What? my orgasm? or Horner comming back to this kind of scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Both!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Both!

that's because you know Horner can't do something like these anymore, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Both!

that's because you know Horner can't do something like these anymore, right?

Of course he could but we all know he won't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009 edited
    James, this is the most sensitive thing you ever said!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Will you quit with the quoting?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Will you quit with the quoting?

no
  1. I don't think James Horner will return to his 80's music, I think he can't, just like Williams couldn't with Indy 4

I just hope that Avatar gets the epic music the movie deserves
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I don't think James Horner will return to his 80's music, I think he can't, just like Williams couldn't with Indy 4

Again I feel the need to point out the difference between "can't" and "doesn't want to".
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    this is the second most sensitive thing you ever said, James!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    I was surprised to see him on Avatar actually. He just seems to be elsewhere musically. Maybe this will challenge him and bring him somewhere totally different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tintin wrote
    I was surprised to see him on Avatar actually. He just seems to be elsewhere musically. Maybe this will challenge him and bring him somewhere totally different.

Maybe. I can't really see it myself. He had the opportunity in The Spiderwick Chronicles but didn't really take it. If Apocalypto is really forming the bulk of the temp-track then people hoping for Krull or Aliens are likely to be disappointed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I don't think James Horner will return to his 80's music, I think he can't, just like Williams couldn't with Indy 4

It might be just me but I think Horner is really the only composer who worked in the 80's that is still channeling that 80's sound... whether through rip offs or not. While The Spiderwick Chronicles was a HUGE disappointment a track like "The Flight of the Griffin" contained that over the top, deeply emotional, colourful 80's sound that we came to know and love from Horner is such scores as Cocoon.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

It might be just me but I think Horner is really the only composer who worked in the 80's that is still channeling that 80's sound... whether through rip offs or not. While The Spiderwick Chronicles was a HUGE disappointment a track like "The Flight of the Griffin" contained that over the top, deeply emotional, colourful 80's sound that we came to know and love from Horner is such scores as Cocoon.

-Erik-

What I think he does differently now is that his music has lost those "jagged edges" - it's so much smoother. It's hard to imagine a "Ride of the Firemares" or "Bishop's Countdown" coming from him today. The closest he's come is indeed in Spiderwick (and the Zorro scores contain an adventurous spirit similar to his early work) but I don't think they're quite there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He does have a sound from older years indeed, esp. when compared to newer scores others write.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think he's evolved quite a bit. He's never been a big one for synths, and the fact he is so inspired by certain classical greats lends his music a slightly "timeless" air, so I can't see it becoming nearly as dated as many of his peers', who are perhaps more influenced by contemporary trends. But as I say, I think he's evolved just as much as anyone else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    He does have a sound from older years indeed, esp. when compared to newer scores others write.

And that's a pretty good thing actually.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I think he's evolved quite a bit. He's never been a big one for synths, and the fact he is so inspired by certain classical greats lends his music a slightly "timeless" air, so I can't see it becoming nearly as dated as many of his peers', who are perhaps more influenced by contemporary trends. But as I say, I think he's evolved just as much as anyone else.

And I agree.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Again I feel the need to point out the difference between "can't" and "doesn't want to".

I don't see it that way, a composer like John Williams would gladly revisited Indy 4 with the wonderful music of the first 3, but he couldn't. Because he developed and so did his music. I think Horner would gladly do it, but it is just who he has become now, like any composer.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

That cue is indeed a return to form, but I can't quite picture myself hearing a Brainstorm, a Willow, a Rocketeer from the master now. He has just matured in his sound
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I don't see it that way, a composer like John Williams would gladly revisited Indy 4 with the wonderful music of the first 3, but he couldn't. Because he developed and so did his music. I think Horner would gladly do it, but it is just who he has become now, like any composer.

I must continue to disagree. I think if Williams had truly wanted to write a score like the other Indy scores (and actually Last Crusade is very different from the first two anyway) then he would have done. But he's moved on, he's started writing in a different (and no doubt in his mind better) style. I imagine if Spielberg had said "I want you to revisit Raiders" then he would have done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I must continue to disagree. I think if Williams had truly wanted to write a score like the other Indy scores (and actually Last Crusade is very different from the first two anyway) then he would have done. But he's moved on, he's started writing in a different (and no doubt in his mind better) style. I imagine if Spielberg had said "I want you to revisit Raiders" then he would have done.

Agree. The man has clearly changed and matured through the years, as a composer, no matter the specific style he's writing in each time, the change is obvious.
  4. Southall wrote

I think Spielberg doesn't say anything to him, because he trusts John with his life, so why would he need to ask for something he already knows will be brilliant?

I think the problem lies with the fact the movie wants to re capture the famous quality of the first 3, so why wouldn't Williams don't want to do that as well? I think because it is his style now, the way he writes (and probably because he think yes it is better). He made the attempt and "The Adventures of Mutt" is definitely the example that shows the earlier Williams at work. But mostly the rest is the latter Williams, so I see it as a combination of both styles
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    But mostly the rest is the latter Williams, so I see it as a combination of both styles

Agree.

Williams attempted to do something like Raider or The last Crusade with tracks like "A Whirl Through Academe" "The Snake Pit " (where he failed) and "jungle chase" (where he succded).

But it's obvius that Williams and Spielbergs likes Williams new sound (ala minority report and War oh the worlds) and we don't have to forget Kingdom of Skull is about "aliens" so he used this sound too.