• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah, Titanic 2 this definitely will not become. But I wouldn't call it boring. It has more in common with Apocalypto though. I just hope it won't be 80 minutes of that. A good 25-30 minutes would be my limit.

Who said it was boring? I thought APOCALYPTO was one of the most unique and fresh new Horner scores.

Timmer,

It has heavy and austere (at times brutal) percussion, exotically dark pan flutes and relevant woodwinds, and "jungle" african sounding wild vocals...and melody. Some strong thematic statements.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009
    Thor wrote
    The Schweiger/Horner program is a classic, by the way. One of the best composer interviews I've heard, even though it's clear just how "Hollywood-minded" Horner is.

Actually, it not really a good interview. Schweiger asks general questions and just because Horner likes to talk a lot is really the only reason we got so much information out of him. There's no follow up to any of the info Horner divulges... I mean, you could completely take our Schweiger 5 or 6 questions and let Horner's rants live on there own. I'm not trying to put down Schweiger because he does excellent work but I wouldn't credit the interviewer for doing any ground breaking journalism here.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    From the horribly sounding (due to poor sound quality for the website) clips, i'd say it's APOCALYPTO MEETS BEYOND BORDERS.
  1. Sounds like a bunch of crash & bangs, drum builds up, ethnic woodwinds blurting out every periodically. I'll stick to "Titanic", thank you. And "Willow".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah, Titanic 2 this definitely will not become. But I wouldn't call it boring. It has more in common with Apocalypto though. I just hope it won't be 80 minutes of that. A good 25-30 minutes would be my limit.

Who said it was boring? I thought APOCALYPTO was one of the most unique and fresh new Horner scores.

The one you mention I'm afraid to say bores me to sleep. But it is highly effective in the film. I just don't want to spend my time listening to the score alone.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Sounds like a bunch of crash & bangs, drum builds up, ethnic woodwinds blurting out every periodically. I'll stick to "Titanic", thank you. And "Willow".

SYMPHONETTE #2

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Sounds like a bunch of crash & bangs, drum builds up, ethnic woodwinds blurting out every periodically. I'll stick to "Titanic", thank you. And "Willow".

OH OH! I think Erik will have a field day with this particular comment.

Damn too late. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Timmer,

It has heavy and austere (at times brutal) percussion, exotically dark pan flutes and relevant woodwinds, and "jungle" african sounding wild vocals...and melody. Some strong thematic statements.

Thank you James.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Timmer,

Thank you James.

You're welcome, Christophe.

(For the record, I would largely agree with my colleague James, though I didn't notice any strong thematic statements.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cheers D beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    The Schweiger/Horner program is a classic, by the way. One of the best composer interviews I've heard, even though it's clear just how "Hollywood-minded" Horner is.

Ditto!

I've got to agree. There's a frankness there which you rarely hear from other composers. (Except Herrmann, perhaps, but even there it's hammed up frankness that feels intentionally sensationalist.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Actually, it not really a good interview. Schweiger asks general questions and just because Horner likes to talk a lot is really the only reason we got so much information out of him. There's no follow up to any of the info Horner divulges... I mean, you could completely take our Schweiger 5 or 6 questions and let Horner's rants live on there own. I'm not trying to put down Schweiger because he does excellent work but I wouldn't credit the interviewer for doing any ground breaking journalism here.

-Erik-

True. I guess it's the Horner comments I like, while the interview setting, questions etc. are so-so.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009
    The Avatar score will be released on december 15th by Atlantic.

http://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Original-S … amp;sr=1-1
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009 edited
    Lisbeth Scott will be featured as a vocalist on Avatar (Mikael's article is mentioned too!):
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases … 72187.html
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009 edited
    Timon wrote
    Here's a written version:
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2 … topic=2751

The audio is lost it seems. Other on the score interviews by Daniel Schweiger can be found here
    http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?cat=18

I have just read this interview. I haven't known James Horner was such an opinionated man - and I can't say he's modest, either... But this doesn't make me love his music less!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Scorefanatic wrote
    A few clips from Horner's score are now up at the official movie page: www.avatarmovie.com
    Sounds amazing!

Well, I definitely expected something much more epic-sounding, more melodic music. But who knows what the end result will be? We'll see... (and hear...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    Scorefanatic wrote
    A few clips from Horner's score are now up at the official movie page: www.avatarmovie.com
    Sounds amazing!

Well, I definitely expected something much more epic-sounding, more melodic music. But who knows what the end result will be? We'll see... (and hear...)

It doesn't sound particularly epic. It's more on the exotic side of things from what the clips reveal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009 edited
    Lots of ethnic instruments and exotic sounds, joined by orchestra, electronic effects and heavy percussion. Sounds quite melodic in places! I like it, it sounds much better than Apocalypto so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009
    It definitely sounds better than Apocalypto but that's not enough for me: I would like something in the veins of Braveheart or Legends of the Fall, i.e. many great melodies, sweeping epic music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    It's a sci-fi film after all and I guess the producers and director wanted something more dissonant and ominous. It still does sound melodic in places though! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    It definitely sounds better than Apocalypto but that's not enough for me: I would like something in the veins of Braveheart or Legends of the Fall, i.e. many great melodies, sweeping epic music.

Erm, you won't get it. I am sorry. Where does that fit into a movie like AVATAR?
  4. How can anyone know, besides the cast and crew, what Avatar will be like, the essence of the story and the characters in it? I mean it could be something in the vein of LOTF and Braveheart (the films) combined in a sci-fi setting. Musically that could be very interesting. I definitely would give a body part to have something such as Braveheart over Apocalypto as the score.

Let's just hope that we haven't heard the best stuff yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote I definitely would give a body part to have something such as Braveheart over Apocalypto as the score.

I know the essence of what you're thinking, but statements like this always make me shiver. freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I think that the main story of Avatar is a freedom fight of Planet Pandora mixed with a love story so some sweeping, highly melodic music wouldn't be out of place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, but the environment it all takes place HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BRAVEHEART OR TITANIC. It's an exotic planet, extra-terrestrial life, outer space, out of this world scenery and huge jungles. If you really expect a Braveheart II or Titanic II you're simply looking at this COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTEXT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    No, no, you misunderstand me! I have no problem with the exotic sound landscape at all and I don't expect another Braveheart or Titanic. All I'm saying is that the story of the film does allow some highly melodic music. I mean, Star Wars is also a sci-fi with extra-terrestrials and alien planets and look, what a score it has! Avatar will have a love story and a noble freedom-fight storyline so some emotional or sweeping music is not out of place in this movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Star Wars has Wagnerian orchestral fanfares of the finest quality, a perfect 20th century Space Opera. But the story asked for that EXACTLY. This seems like a darker, more intimate and surely more exotic musical accompaniment. What i heard so far from the clips of Horner's Avatar fits the whole idea EXACTLY.

Plus, there IS a repeated, melodic theme in there, in the clips too. Don't just pay attention to the percussion smile
  5. keky wrote
    No, no, you misunderstand me! I have no problem with the exotic sound landscape at all and I don't expect another Braveheart or Titanic. All I'm saying is that the story of the film does allow some highly melodic music. I mean, Star Wars is also a sci-fi with extra-terrestrials and alien planets and look, what a score it has! Avatar will have a love story and a noble freedom-fight storyline so some emotional or sweeping music is not out of place in this movie.

I couldn't have said it any better. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    Star Wars has Wagnerian orchestral fanfares of the finest quality, a perfect 20th century Space Opera. But the story asked for that EXACTLY. This seems like a darker, more intimate and surely more exotic musical accompaniment. What i heard so far from the clips of Horner's Avatar fits the whole idea EXACTLY.

Plus, there IS a repeated, melodic theme in there, in the clips too. Don't just pay attention to the percussion smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Anyway, I still have my hopes because in the article Moviescore linked in this forum it says that the music will be epic, hugely cinematic. I hope I won't be disappointed.