• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Yes, I realised that one as I typed it, but was too lazy to go back.
    I think some part of my brain is transposing my PetersOn/PetersEn confusion to the film he made!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    You certainly have a romantic view for business, or particularly Hollywood with such adjectives as "love" and "respect". wink And if Petersen wasn't responsible for rejecting the first score in the first place (and which sparked the mess), as you suggest (i think as a director he could stick with the score if he wanted, and how would it kill the movie? the replacement wasn't so very different in sound, really, they even used the same vocalists, choir and some stylistic traits in places), then why is Horner blaming him for the general work and status of the movie?

I'm an old romantic! I don't think I understand your question though. What Horner said was that Yared delivered the score that Petersen wanted, it didn't work, so he was brought in. I don't think there's much contentious there. (It may be contentious that the score didn't work - ultimately since none of us has seen the film with the Yared score, none of us knows, but my guess is that rejecting the score was one of the few good decisions made on that film - but it's not contentious that the studio thought it didn't work.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Goldsmith was by far the worst interviewee....ever!

I don't think he was the worst ever (that would be Williams, whose self-depracating "it just comes to me" schtick is so frustrating - but then, we've had that discussion before) but it's a real shame Goldsmith wasn't more forthcoming. I'd have loved to have heard some interesting stuff from him, but it was rare that he opened up in any way in interviews.
  2. What about his concert stuff? I've heard his introduction to a First Blood theme performance and it was damn funny!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What about his concert stuff? I've heard his introduction to a First Blood theme performance and it was damn funny!

He was always good value in concerts - some great anecdotes. He did that sort of thing in interviews, too. Never really spoke about the music, though.

(My favourite of the concert anecdotes is his Gremlins one, which culminated in "I was in the first movie but didn't speak. In the second movie I did have a line - the film didn't do so well in America but was much more successful in Europe. Europeans are far more knowledgeable about good acting.")
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wouldn't have liked his Mummy anecdote though. (Don't remember the exact words, but it was something like "I can't believe I was working 20 hours a day, killing myself on this pile of shit movie for this clueless director")
  3. lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    How and WHY he would approach him after the Troy interview? See? "had twice done Petersen a good turn" is quite my point...

You've got the chronology a bit wrong. The interview came well after the POSEIDEN business.

Not to nitpick, but after a couple of misspellings here now, I thought I'd point it out: That's POSEIDON.

NO! That movie is so bad. It deserves to be misspelled!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PISSEIDON
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    lol
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    PISSEIDON

lol
  4. I remember the London concert where Goldsmith talked about how Ridley Scott replaced some stuff on Alien with earlier Goldsmith stuff from Freud and asked him if he didn´t think too that this was a great idea, and Goldsmith said, "NOOOHOH?!", and the audience burst into laughter.

And then that thing about Star Trek, where he said he would talk about that but there would possibly no one here who would be interested in talking about Star Trek, and the audience cracked up hard. Goldsmith was a great entertainer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    keky wrote
    Now, in this interview Horner says something about Michael Bay smile

I guess nobody's told him yet that the music from the latest trailer is taken from a Michael Bay film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I remember the London concert where Goldsmith talked about how Ridley Scott replaced some stuff on Alien with earlier Goldsmith stuff from Freud and asked him if he didn´t think too that this was a great idea, and Goldsmith said, "NOOOHOH?!", and the audience burst into laughter.

I think I was there too. Was that the sci-fi music concert he did in the early 2000s?

I can't remember if it was during the concert or in the "interview" beforehand, but I also remember him saying that "Ridley thought I'd forgiven him over Alien by working on Legend - but I hadn't" and then going off on a rant about "Ridley's idiot of an editor" (Terry Rawlings) who he said "had no musical taste at all" and heavily influenced Scott's musical choices. "Have you heard that music they put in Gladiator?" (cue raucous laughter).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sylvos wrote
    keky wrote

I guess nobody's told him yet that the music from the latest trailer is taken from a Michael Bay film.

And some people probably think that's by Horner!

Whoever put that music in that trailer has no aptitude for that sort of thing. It's horrific. (Which Michael Bay film is it from?)
  5. Southall wrote
    I think I was there too. Was that the sci-fi music concert he did in the early 2000s?

Yup. It was during that Star Wars exhibition at the Barbican.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Southall wrote
    Sylvos wrote
    keky wrote

Whoever put that music in that trailer has no aptitude for that sort of thing. It's horrific. (Which Michael Bay film is it from?)

It's from The Island by Steve Jablonsky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I remember the London concert where Goldsmith talked about how Ridley Scott replaced some stuff on Alien with earlier Goldsmith stuff from Freud and asked him if he didn´t think too that this was a great idea, and Goldsmith said, "NOOOHOH?!", and the audience burst into laughter.

I can't remember if it was during the concert or in the "interview" beforehand, but I also remember him saying that "Ridley thought I'd forgiven him over Alien by working on Legend - but I hadn't" and then going off on a rant about "Ridley's idiot of an editor" (Terry Rawlings) who he said "had no musical taste at all" and heavily influenced Scott's musical choices. "Have you heard that music they put in Gladiator?" (cue raucous laughter).

[Only Gladiator's music is actually great]
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    Southall wrote
    Sylvos wrote
    keky wrote

It's from The Island by Steve Jablonsky.

Yeah, firstly it's THE ISLAND by Steve Jablonsky and them some Immediate Music / Audio Machine / X-ray dog (i don't remember correctly, they all sound the same) action piece with choir that sends a completely different meaning and feeling instead of the mystique nature of the teaser trailer which featured John Murphy's music from 28 weeks later (awesome score in its category btw, very gripping). I discussed these 2 trailers and the choice of both footage but also sound (music and sound fx) with my classes and you won't believe how obvious some of those changes and messages are to people who aren't even familiar with film music in general or sound in cinema. Plus, they all realized what the story is from the 2nd trailer, it gives away too much and it's ridiculously cheesy at places.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

It makes for a pretty CD. It's terrible in the film in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

It makes for a pretty CD. It's terrible in the film in my opinion.

Hm, i am not too sure i'd agree with that wink I think for what the film is, (and that's the mistake some make, they think it's 2000's Ben Hur and it needed a different approach; well it's not, it's pop-corn) it elevates it greatly. Although some discussions could be made about the music's cinematic and narrative values, still it's some of the most coherent and complete musical works Zimmer ever composed, and damn influential and well-known score.
  6. Complete, yes. Not so sure about coherent. Gladiator is a great score and one of my all-time favorite, both in film and on album, but I wouldn't call the score too coherent. Someone once commented that it's rather a series of pieces that work in the film, rather than cohesively thematic score (themes ARE there, but they just appear over necessary scenes).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Yared's score would have completely killed that film (which was pretty dead on arrival anyway) so it was a rare case of a good decision, but again that's besides the point.

rolleyes

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Complete, yes. Not so sure about coherent. Gladiator is a great score and one of my all-time favorite, both in film and on album, but I wouldn't call the score too coherent. Someone once commented that it's rather a series of pieces that work in the film, rather than cohesively thematic score (themes ARE there, but they just appear over necessary scenes).

Someone may have once offered such a comment. I offer a different comment, that it's rather like a series of pieces that don't work in the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree, the score to Gladiator sounds messy and at many times innappropriate in the movie, sometimes it's like a compilation of Ridley's favourite bits placed where he feels appropriate. It makes for a nice and enjoyable album though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    Actually, I think GLADIATOR works wonders in the film too (not only a brilliant soundtrack), as it creates separate tableaux within the fictional universe that have mood-based or symbolical values in themselves. It's a narrative film, but many of the audiovisual means (music included) often move into another "realm", so to speak - whether it is Maximus' flashbacks and dream sequences or the moody opening with the straws in the field.

Not every film has to have one recurrent theme that binds it all together or be traditionally leitmotivic.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Not every film has to have one recurrent theme that binds it all together or be traditionally leitmotivic.

No, and I generally don't like such scores. There were countless reasons why I thought the music in Gladiator was embarrassing but that wasn't one of them. I can't be bothered to type them all out again though - nobody agreed with me last time and nobody will this time either.
  7. Thor wrote
    Actually, I think GLADIATOR works wonders in the film too (not only a brilliant soundtrack), as it creates separate tableaux within the fictional universe that have mood-based or symbolical values in themselves. It's a narrative film, but many of the audiovisual means (music included) often move into another "realm", so to speak - whether it is Maximus' flashbacks and dream sequences or the moody opening with the straws in the field.

Yes, it's the first score where Zimmer tried to create a world and, I think, really the only SUCCESFUL one at that (Batman Begins tried it too)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Complete, yes. Not so sure about coherent. Gladiator is a great score and one of my all-time favorite, both in film and on album, but I wouldn't call the score too coherent. Someone once commented that it's rather a series of pieces that work in the film, rather than cohesively thematic score (themes ARE there, but they just appear over necessary scenes).

For me it has a beginning, a middle and an end which is somewhat rare in film music, much of which (sometimes due to its movie-depended nature, others due to composer's limited abilities) usually suffers from lack of structure. It's got proper development of everything musical in it, AND great big themes.