• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008 edited
    Regarding William's use of Korngold... the Star Wars theme has many notes from one of Korngold's works... I don't know by heart which piece it is, but its pretty much the same; ta ta ta.. ta taaaa etc etc. Nothing against it... just didn't know that Williams used this piece for "his" main title music for Star Wars, until I heard one of Gerhardt's re-recordings of Korngold's works.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008
    Regarding Horner, I am forever grateful that he wrote Krull. My favorite fantasy score of all time. Its an absolute thrill; superb loonnnggg theme... the wonder of the music of the Glaive, the music for the firemares, battle music, that great love theme... etc etc. My favorite forever.

So I always have a soft spot for Horner's music... so when I hear some ppl saying that Spiderwick has some Krull like stuff... I can't wait to hear it. (I love some parts in Horner's Troy, especially towards the end, because of the Krull/Battle beyond the stars inspired parts, now that's the Horner I like)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nick wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Again, another attempt by a desperate Horner fan trying to validate Horner plagiarism by bringing other composers into the mix.

-Erik-

No wonder I've become sick to death of these film score forums, with comments like that.

Can't handle the truth?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Talos wrote
    Regarding William's use of Korngold... the Star Wars theme has many notes from one of Korngold's works... I don't know by heart which piece it is, but its pretty much the same; ta ta ta.. ta taaaa etc etc. Nothing against it... just didn't know that William used this piece for "his" main title music for Star Wars, until I heard one of Gerhardt's re-recordings of Korngold's works.

KING'S ROW is the one, I think. Apart from the opening leap though (which is unmistakable), Korngold's becomes a very different sort of tune.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Talos wrote
    Regarding Horner, I am forever grateful that he wrote Krull. My favorite fantasy score of all time. Its an absolute thrill; superb loonnnggg theme... the wonder of the music of the Glaive, the music for the firemares, battle music, that great love theme... etc etc. My favorite forever.

So I always have a soft spot for Horner's music... so when I hear some ppl saying that Spiderwick has some Krull like stuff... I can't wait to hear it. (I love some parts in Horner's Troy, especially towards the end, because of the Krull/Battle beyond the stars inspired parts, now that's the Horner I like)

So well said! So perfectly true! Krull rules!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Talos wrote

But wouldn't you just rather than listen to Krull then listen to a second rate version of it in Spiderwick... or second rate Casper in this case?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Erik Woods wrote
    Talos wrote

But wouldn't you just rather than listen to Krull then listen to a second rate version of it in Spiderwick... or second rate Casper in this case?

-Erik-

I am not hunderd percent sure what you mean, but I guess you mean why I should like to listen to second rate Krull/Casper scores instead of the real deal; Krull itself.

The reason is that I know this score since 1992 (first the expanded Southern Cross one, and then the complete double cd) note for note, I can whistle this score from the beginning till the end.. so to speak. I even made (at that time) my own alternative album cover art for the Southern Cross version. (based on the original LP)

So Krull I know by heart, therefore it is always great to hear anything closely related to Krull. (I even recorded an episode from the TV series Hercules, which had a Krull like children choir for a few seconds in the beginning of an episode) So, there you have it; Krullmania. (hey, I guess that will become my new nickname here... hehe)

Oh yeah, one forgotten or seldomly reviewed/discussed Horner score that I really like is Once Upon A Forest. A treasure. I love it. (except one obnoxious song; "he's back")
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'll say it again: KRULL rules!!!
    It's Horner's magnum opus!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    I'll say it again: KRULL rules!!!
    It's Horner's magnum opus!

YEP! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2008
    I have to say that I don't hear anything like Krull in Spiderwick. It's grown on me a lot, though.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Hey Southall,

so we can look foreward to another great review on your site?!
  2. Southall wrote
    I have to say that I don't hear anything like Krull in Spiderwick.

Me neither. Except the flutes at the beginning of the Closing Credits maybe. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BasilB wrote
    Hey Southall,

so we can look foreward to another great review on your site?!

Well, a review will be done, yes.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2008
    Well, Spiderwick sounds quite nice -- yes, I did notice the minor Casper references but it's light and pleasant, particularly the "End Titles" cue. Not nearly as good as his early to mid-1980s work but it's nice.

My top 3 Horner scores are:

1. Wrath of Khan
    2. Krull
    3. The Rocketeer
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Matt C wrote
    Well, Spiderwick sounds quite nice -- yes, I did notice the minor Casper references but it's light and pleasant, particularly the "End Titles" cue. Not nearly as good as his early to mid-1980s work but it's nice.

My top 3 Horner scores are:

1. Wrath of Khan
    2. Krull
    3. The Rocketeer

I'd wait for Ralph, Sure he'll be doing a top 3 Horner soon?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2008 edited
    I blame this guy! crazy

For play with us! For laught to us!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Brainstorm and Deadly Blessing are my two favourite Horner scores, and I also believe Aliens is extremely good.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Willow
    Aliens
    Apollo 13
    Perfect Storm
    Braveheart

Are my favourites.
  3. In no order for me, and maybe not all the ones I like:

1. Star Trek 2
    2. Star Trek 3
    3. Willow
    4. Something Wicked This Way Comes
    5. The Journey of Natty Gann
    6. Titanic
    7. A Few Days At Weasel Creek
    8. Rascals and Robbers
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2008
    Hey, weren't we just supposed to pick THREE favourites?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I know, I know ... you like less. tongue

But less is more, and if you like more, than you should be happy with that kind of "less" we have provided.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008 edited
    You guys are so eager to go on with this... well, okay then. Give me your TOP THREE Horner scores. I´ve taken Justin´s and Matt´s votes into account. Jordi, please specify a ranking or name just three.

Here´s the first account, my votes not included, since I still have to decide on them...

1st place: Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan 5 points
    2nd place: Krull / Something Wicked This Way Comes / Titanic 2 points each

The Rocketeer / Willow 1 point each
  5. I didn't put them in order, like I mentioned. If you have to take three only, take ST2, SWTWC and Titanic.
  6. Oh, sorry, I didn´t see that, I rushed through this. Adjusted with two points each.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008
    1. Braveheart
    2. Star Trek II
    3. Krull

Kills me not to include The Spitfire Grill and The Rocketeer. Errrrr... angry

-Erik-
  7. Today I feel like...

1. Legends of the Fall
    2. Star Trek III
    3. The Legend of Zorro
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008
    Yes, what franz said. In terms of Horner, favourites change all the time.

But I'll give it a go:

1. ALIENS (the original release, not the deluxe release....amazing to see me give the first place to a horror score, which I don't generally like, but there's something special about this one)
    2. STAR TREK II
    3. TITANIC
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DAMMIT! Aliens, MASK of Zorro, Legends of the Fall. This was much harder than Williams. Strange. slant

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The New World
    Star Trek II
    The Rocketeer
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Krull
    Wrath of Khan
    Willow