• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009
    In a conversation with Jordi, Spock's quizzical eyebrow would get one helluva workout. spin cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes ...

AD INFINITUM. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Chronologically, where should the Avatar Bonus track go on the album?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2009 edited
    It's not used in the final cut of the film.
    Perhaps an early idea for Jake becoming his avatar.
    Maybe it should be track 2 or 3. But I'd stick it just before "I See You".
  2. It goes well at the very end, between 'War' and the song (which I never play anyway). Makes for a more triumphant finish along the lines of the film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What's the bonus track?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    ...and the song (which I never play anyway)

This doesn't surprise me as it's about as mainstream as the River Nile! biggrin (I like it in a sort of guilty way... well, I would were it not for the singer.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    (I too like it. And i don't feel (much) guilty about it shame)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

This doesn't surprise me as it's about as mainstream as the River Nile! biggrin (I like it in a sort of guilty way... well, I would were it not for the singer.)

Hey, I listen to Dido too! wink
    I wouldn't mind it if it were a bit more fused to the sound of the score. It's just so different from bar one that I can never switch mood with it so quick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote ...and the song (which I never play anyway)

Hey, I listen to Dido too! wink I wouldn't mind it if it were a bit more fused to the sound of the score. It's just so different from bar one that I can never switch mood with it so quick.

Michael has a point here. It's probably the most radical departure from a score's sound Horner has ever performed in one of his pop ballads before, and i'd guess it's done to satisfy even more masses to even higher degrees.

Not too sure though, if that's the right way to go, or if that will indeed bring them more success at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Hey, I listen to Dido too! wink
    I wouldn't mind it if it were a bit more fused to the sound of the score. It's just so different from bar one that I can never switch mood with it so quick.

Good point. I much prefer Horner's songs for A Beautiful Mind and The New World: there's no sudden "Oh, I guess I'm listening to a song now?" feel to them. They work very well on both of the albums.
  4. Especially the Westenra song.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. This will sound pretty weird, but given the broken english Neytiri speaks in the film, someone with a more mannered pronunciation of English would be better, like Bjork or Emiliana Torrini.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009
    Roy wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Avatar score is a chaos in the movie. More thoughts in Recent Vieweing topic tongue

Oh, and Mr Horner, if you want to copy Zimmer, you better beggin with give credit to Nicholad Dodd as Additional music, because half of the action music from Avatar is pure David Arnold tongue

I Know It's an old Post. But hell I'm a little bit confused dizzy I guess there's something Lost in Translation smile So If Horner Wants to be like Zimmer He should give credits to all people around him so when his music starts sounding like someone elses he could say it's someone else fault ? Or Maybe He tried copies Zimmer but didn't make it and it end up sounding like Arnold and then there's Nicolas Dodd in the middle, hell I don't Know? spin Could someone Help me to understand The Logic of this ? rolleyes

I think if Horner want to be fair he had to credit Dodd with more than with "orchestrations".credit It's obvious Nicholas Dodd worked hard in a couple of action tracks (not in the album, except for some moments in war) and in the electronic bits in some cues.

So if Horner copies Zimmer techniques in some tracks then Horner also must credit the additional arrangers as Zimmer does.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    I don't dislike the Song "I see you", but what feels terribly out of place are the first seconds of it... definitely uncool! Fist I sought, I'm listening to a remix of Madonnas "Die another day"...
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Nautilus wrote
    Roy wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Avatar score is a chaos in the movie. More thoughts in Recent Vieweing topic tongue

Oh, and Mr Horner, if you want to copy Zimmer, you better beggin with give credit to Nicholad Dodd as Additional music, because half of the action music from Avatar is pure David Arnold tongue

I Know It's an old Post. But hell I'm a little bit confused dizzy I guess there's something Lost in Translation smile So If Horner Wants to be like Zimmer He should give credits to all people around him so when his music starts sounding like someone elses he could say it's someone else fault ? Or Maybe He tried copies Zimmer but didn't make it and it end up sounding like Arnold and then there's Nicolas Dodd in the middle, hell I don't Know? spin Could someone Help me to understand The Logic of this ? rolleyes

I think if Horner want to be fair he had to credit Dodd with more than with "orchestrations".credit It's obvious Nicholas Dodd worked hard in a couple of action tracks (not in the album, except for some moments in war) and in the electronic bits in some cues.

So if Horner copies Zimmer techniques in some tracks then Horner also must credit the additional arrangers as Zimmer does.

Even If Horner does copies Zimmer techniques Who said He does have to credit the additional arrangers ?
    And does then Arnold give more credit to Dodd or maybe he doesn't have to cause he doesn't want to be like Hans dizzy
    And btw there isn't anything related to Music of David Arnold but that's only my opinion.
    Horner worked on this project for a long long Time and anyway I don't think he needs the kind of assistence Zimmer does.
    No offence Jordi smile but this kind of sentence: If A wants to be like B should give credit to C because his music sounds like D Is a totally nonsens.
  6. These first few seconds are not in the movie; it fades from score directly into Leona, fortunately.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    These first few seconds are not in the movie; it fades from score directly into Leona, fortunately.

Yeah, I know... still. On album, those seconds are complitely out of place... the song itself, I think, is not even that bad... conventional...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009
    I just realized that the Journey of Natty Gann theme makes an appearance in Titanic too.

I had first heard this theme in the Land Before Time score, where it appears about 5 minutes into the first track. I think it's one of the most beautiful melodies Horner uses, so rather than being offended at it's being the main theme of Natty Gann, I was quite delighted.

So it also shows up in Titanic in "An Ocean of Memories" between 1:40 and 2:20.

Anyone know the melody I'm talking about?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009
    Yes I do. It's the second half of the theme that Horner used in there. It's a very beautiful piece too.
    Though if I recall, it's not heard in the film. Just the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009
    Ok, Avatar is officially my most played score of the year. Surpassing Star Trek and Angels and Demons.

I "deleted" from the playlist "climbing.." , "jake first flight", " destruction of the hometree" and "shutting down grace lab". So it remains 56 minutes of pure enjoyment and with a lot of highlights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Ok, Avatar is officially my most played score of the year. Surpassing Star Trek and Angels and Demons.

I "deleted" from the playlist "climbing.." , "jake first flight", " destruction of the hometree" and "shutting down grace lab". So it remains 56 minutes of pure enjoyment and with a lot of highlights.

It's my most-played score too. Surprised by the tracks you deleted - those first three are amongst my favourites!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

It's my most-played score too. Surprised by the tracks you deleted - those first three are amongst my favourites!

About "climbing...." and "jake's first flight" : I never liked Glory's theme (I'm the only one who didn't like it), and I find this "navi" chants annoying. I would prefer the main theme rendition with orchestra (In fact there is the rendition with Horner's triumphal Titanic-like orchestrations, but it is "muted" for the chants)

About "destruction of the hometree": it has his moments for sure, but I find it a little bit disjointed music, and the 4 notes danger motif apparation into the 4 minute mark doesn't help either.

Anyway How i said, what makes this album worth for my ears, it's the 5 first tracks. the combination of mystici and new age (apocalypto + The new World+ Atlantis) it's really wonderful (if sometimes chessey).

(Attention to the militaristic bits with ankluns in the end of "Quaritch",this is the Horner i loved! )
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I Love those tracks to. especially "climbing.." and "jake first flight". After few listening I don't even hear Glory bars in it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009 edited
    Nautilus wrote

You deleted 'Climbing...' and 'Jake's First Flight'?

Oh Jesus... face-palm-mt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anyway, I saw the movie and was surprised (well, not really) that one of the best -if not the best- musical moment was left from the album: the moment the hammer-head rhino-elephant things attacked the humans. That had an 80s Horner vibe to it that was stunning to hear in the cinema!

The music for the bad ass dog-lizard thing also hearkened back to his Aliens score with a very similar sinister horn motif heard in the latter action track of Aliens
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Anyway, I saw the movie and was surprised (well, not really) that one of the best -if not the best- musical moment was left from the album: the moment the hammer-head rhino-elephant things attacked the humans. That had an 80s Horner vibe to it that was stunning to hear in the cinema!

The music for the bad ass dog-lizard thing also hearkened back to his Aliens score with a very similar sinister horn motif heard in the latter action track of Aliens

I'll listen out for that when I finally get to see it. Me and Mel went to the cinema last night and all the seats were sold out for every performance slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Trust me, you'll know precisely which bit I mean. (It'll be the moment your hairs stand up on the back of your neck.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

WTF?? Weren't you the one saying it's no good and he's a worse composer than Zimmer? confused