• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. To be honest, I thought that was the one really awkward and annoying score moment. [spoiler]The attack of the forces of nature should have been scored as brutal and wild as possible, with ethnic orchestration s going berserk; instead, Horner went for such a human concept of triumph that I thought for a moment he had honestly gone nuts. Everything in this movie is scored to perfection, and then this. To see humans ripped apart and killed with such brute force while the trumpets scream honour and glory, really ruined the scene for me.[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Ok, Avatar is officially my most played score of the year. Surpassing Star Trek and Angels and Demons.

WTF?? Weren't you the one saying it's no good and he's a worse composer than Zimmer? confused

And??? i didn't say is not good. i said Avatar is a dissapointment and it has real annoying parts. but we are talking about a 78 minutes realease and it has great moments for sure . From the first listening I wrotte the first 5 tracks was really great!!

Sherlock Holmes is a better score? yes, but it is also less enjoyable. In the same way BHD is better score than Tears of The Sun but the last one is more enjoyable.

You people seems to deal with absoluts always, that's why you always have problems with my "logic".

PS: D, WHO IS GRABRIELLA???? OH MY GODDDDDDDDDD
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009
    Rebel scum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Nautilus wrote about
    "logic".

Wasn´t that one of those paradoxa that will destroy our universe one day? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Nautilus wrote about
    "logic".

Wasn´t that one of those paradoxa that will destroy our universe one day? biggrin

lol
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    PS: D, WHO IS GRABRIELLA???? OH MY GODDDDDDDDDD

Just another Greek Goddess that will make you faint.
  2. Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Ok, Avatar is officially my most played score of the year. Surpassing Star Trek and Angels and Demons.

I "deleted" from the playlist "climbing.." , "jake first flight", " destruction of the hometree" and "shutting down grace lab". So it remains 56 minutes of pure enjoyment and with a lot of highlights.

It's my most-played score too. Surprised by the tracks you deleted - those first three are amongst my favourites!

About "climbing...." and "jake's first flight" : I never liked Glory's theme (I'm the only one who didn't like it), ...

You're not the only who doesn't like GLORY.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    GLORY rules!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In which universe?
  3. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    To be honest, I thought that was the one really awkward and annoying score moment. [spoiler]The attack of the forces of nature should have been scored as brutal and wild as possible, with ethnic orchestration s going berserk; instead, Horner went for such a human concept of triumph that I thought for a moment he had honestly gone nuts. Everything in this movie is scored to perfection, and then this. To see humans ripped apart and killed with such brute force while the trumpets scream honour and glory, really ruined the scene for me.[/spoiler]

On the other hand, (SPOILER - I hate having to highlight things, so just be careful reading this) the main theme for Jake's becoming part of the N'avi is a trumpet-led idea. When he gives his speech that it's time to rebel, and when he first flies, brass soli lead the charge. He's being consistent with the logic he's set up in the film prior to that moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I "deleted" from the playlist "climbing.." , "jake first flight", " destruction of the hometree" and "shutting down grace lab". So it remains 56 minutes of pure enjoyment and with a lot of highlights.

It's my most-played score too. Surprised by the tracks you deleted - those first three are amongst my favourites!

About "climbing...." and "jake's first flight" : I never liked Glory's theme (I'm the only one who didn't like it), ...

You're not the only who doesn't like GLORY.

I've suddenly got the image of two of you looking into each others' eyes almost on the verge of breaking down just before embracing each other in an emotionally mutual and long-needed hug. It's the strangest thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    In which universe?

An infinite amount depending on what cosmological theory you prefer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I prefer the one with the hot strings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, an infinite amount it is then. That's one well appreciated score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Damned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Look on the bright side; there are an infinite amount of Yous that don't like it! biggrin
  4. Steven wrote

I've suddenly got the image of two of you looking into each others' eyes almost on the verge of breaking down just before embracing each other in an emotionally mutual and long-needed hug. It's the strangest thing.

Blue is a bit agreeable as a colour. I see you're point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    To be honest, I thought that was the one really awkward and annoying score moment. [spoiler]The attack of the forces of nature should have been scored as brutal and wild as possible, with ethnic orchestration s going berserk; instead, Horner went for such a human concept of triumph that I thought for a moment he had honestly gone nuts. Everything in this movie is scored to perfection, and then this. To see humans ripped apart and killed with such brute force while the trumpets scream honour and glory, really ruined the scene for me.[/spoiler]

On the other hand, (SPOILER - I hate having to highlight things, so just be careful reading this) the main theme for Jake's becoming part of the N'avi is a trumpet-led idea. When he gives his speech that it's time to rebel, and when he first flies, brass soli lead the charge. He's being consistent with the logic he's set up in the film prior to that moment.

Well, I think that it fits with the speech because besically, it is a very human speech. wink
    Nature´s Attack, however, seems to be much more connected to the whole Eywa concept thematically, which is more represented by the Vangelistic and JNHish sounds Horner uses in this movie. But even if the brass seems to be more logical to you, a slightly more chaotic and brutal approach would have been more fitting. In the end, it´s just a feeling; it feels wrong to me, I can´t help it.
  5. I see what you mean. Makes more sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    For me the moment the hammer-head rhino-elephant things attacked the humans conjured mixed feelings in me regarding the scoring of it. In one sense it pulled me out of "the moment" due to the "here comes the cavalry" nature of the music. So I totally understand where Ralph is coming from.
    In another sense though I also felt happy to hear some old school Horner return. But then feeling annoyed that it was not featured on the CD. But great music anyway. So I understand where Steven is coming from too.
    I think the actual running time of "War" would be close to 25 minutes as heard in film. Give or take a few minutes. Bring on a second CD!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2009
    Atham wrote
    I think the actual running time of "War" would be close to 25 minutes as heard in film. Give or take a few minutes. Bring on a second CD!

Everything in its time. With the huge box office success (250 million in 12 days shocked ), I´m sure there´s gonna be a "more music" cd.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Look on the bright side; there are an infinite amount of Yous that don't like it! biggrin

dizzy

There's a version of me that prefers Arnold over Barry, by choice he's weaker thsn me, poor chap!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    For me the moment the hammer-head rhino-elephant things attacked the humans conjured mixed feelings in me regarding the scoring of it. In one sense it pulled me out of "the moment" due to the "here comes the cavalry" nature of the music. So I totally understand where Ralph is coming from.
    In another sense though I also felt happy to hear some old school Horner return. But then feeling annoyed that it was not featured on the CD. But great music anyway. So I understand where Steven is coming from too.

It's doing such great business that it wouldn't surprise me if we get a 'more music from' CD.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I hope it'll be a "proper" CD filled with score and not the stupid dialogue mixes like Gladiator and Titanic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Now there's a scary thought!
    Please no dialog!

But a "More Music From.." would be very cool!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote
    I hope it'll be a "proper" CD filled with score and not the stupid dialogue mixes like Gladiator and Titanic.

I don't find any wrong with that. I enjoyed both Gladiator and Titanic with dialogues. By the way, dialogues are not stupid in these both CDs but brilliant. However, taste and admiration differs.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    Or even Braveheart if i remember. PLZ, no dialogues!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sunil wrote
    I don't find any wrong with that. I enjoyed both Gladiator and Titanic with dialogues. By the way, dialogues are not stupid in these both CDs but brilliant. However, taste and admiration differs.

Good for you, but I find that technique far from brilliant. It might have dramatic impact, but if I want to listen to the music with dialogues and sound FX, I'll just rip the audio track from the DVD. And when I'm getting a soundtrack CD, I get it for the music, not for a blasted mix of miscellaneous film sounds. You might like it, but for me it just means there isn't a way to enjoy the isolated music alone. I hope that isn't the case with Avatar if there is a release like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    msi2 wrote
    Or even Braveheart if i remember. PLZ, no dialogues!

Indeed. Not to mention Hannibal and Apollo 13. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    There's only one example where dialogue actually doesn't spoil the music but enhances it: the first one minute of the last track of Andrea Morricone's Liberty Heights. That dialogue is so poetic and prepares the mood for the following music. I love it.
    But I have to admit, it's an exception.