• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    But the film is really un understated and underrated gem. See it, you might appreciate the score more.

I don't care diddly-squat about baseball. Is it still worth watching?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    But the film is really un understated and underrated gem. See it, you might appreciate the score more.

it's not really a sports film, so you'll enjoy it very easily
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I think it's a bit overrated, but I still enjoyed it. Baseball knowledge (or love) is not required.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with James. I have no interest in baseball whatsoever but the film is very good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I'd certainly recommend Field of Dreams just for James Earl Jones playing the Terry Mann character and his interaction with Kevin Costner's character - especially when they first meet. And Burt Lancaster's always worth watching his small-ish role.

Don't recall the score at all.

BTW, I really enjoy baseball!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Speaking of baseball / us sports films, is Clint Eastwood's INVICTUS any good? Anyone seen it? His later (from Mystic River onwards) work interests me greatly but the topic of his latest movie seems to fail at that, at least its premise.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Speaking of baseball / us sports films, is Clint Eastwood's INVICTUS any good?

It's rugby.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...and it's not American.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I haven't looked it up. I just saw parts of the trailer. I am not into sports movies in general anyway so my question still stands.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I believe the subjects it's more about the bonding quality of sport, Mandela and politics (apartheid) as it is about rugby. That way, the subject does interest me, even though the film as a whole fails to really spark my interest. Not seen it, and it gets mediocre reviews. But don't miss out on it just because it's about rugby :-).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    ...and it's not American.

It's unamerican??? shocked
    angry
    Has John Wayne been notified? angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rugby is an English sport.

^That right there is Martijn bait^
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2010 edited
    Steven wrote

Why? confused

It is!
    (Well, at least it was invented by the English.
    Or at least existing football was modified in such a way that it officially became rugby)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Why? confused

It is!
    (Well, at least it was invented by the English.
    Or at least existing football was modified in such a way that it officially became rugby)

No, that's the Americans who took rugby and called it football.

Except they're wusses and padded themselves up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010 edited
    Also weren't they the ones who decided they should rename the real football into soccer 'cause they assumed the right to the name was now theirs and therefore "true" football was now their football?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Something like that!? rolleyes It doesn't really matter until you come into direct contact with Americans.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I wonder if Horner will return for the Avatar sequel. confused Hope so!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Most probably, i can't think of any reason why that would not happen smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Panthera wrote
    I wonder if Horner will return for the Avatar sequel. confused Hope so!

Baaaaah! Just reuse the score from the first film. I mean, save some money because Horner's going to do that anyway. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    True dat. If (or when) he returns to score the sequel, I do hope he at least creates a proper end credits track.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Also weren't they the ones who decided they should rename the real football into soccer 'cause they assumed the right to the name was now theirs and therefore "true" football was now their football?

I actually have the correct answer to this "football vs soccer" issue, if anyone is interested.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010
    Please do go ahead Jon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I believe "soccer" is taken to be a shortened form of "association football" (the actual name of the game, distinguishing it from "rugby football") and isn't an American term but a British one.
  4. Exactly correct, James.

All the various sports that evolved at roughly the same time and which involve teams of players moving a ball around to score points are called "football", not because you kick a ball, but because you are ON your feet (as opposed to being on horseback).

In the late 1800s lots of the major schools in England played their own version, or code, of football, most of which bore no relation to the various forms of football we know today. The rugby version - so called because it was played at Rugby school - was called "rugger", as was the way of schoolboys at the time to add the suffix "-er" on to words. One particularly popular code of football eventually became "association football', because a formal set of rules were written down for the first time by an association of schools. This version of the sport became known as "soccer", from an abbreviation of the word "association", again by those same schoolboys.

As lots of British people left the country and emigrated to Australia, Canada, the United States, and various other places, they took their different versions of the sport with them; both Australia and Canada eventually developed their own versions of football, while Rugby football and Association football made it to America through the Ivy League schools like Harvard and Yale. Naturally, they picked up the "soccer" nickname from their British counterparts. Rugby football eventually evolved in what we now know as American football; Association football - or soccer - never changed, except in the UK where the word 'soccer
    dropped out of common usage, and was replaced by the all-encompassing term 'football'.

The most popular code of football in a country generally tends to be called "football" by that country - so, in Australia, Australian rules football is called "football"; in America, American football is called "football"; and in the UK, Association football is called "football".

So, ALL the sports are called football - just different codes of the same sport - and, when other versions are not as popular, they have to have a different name to differentiate between them. So, in America (and several other places) - they continue to use the old English name, 'soccer'. But it is NOT an Americanism; English schoolboys in the late 1800s created the name.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks Jon, very enlightening. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Enlightening, sure, but I still think 'soccer' sounds weird...as if they're playing only with socks or something.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've never actually heard a British person call it "soccer", I don't think. It is indeed an odd-sounding name.
  5. Thor wrote
    Enlightening, sure, but I still think 'soccer' sounds weird...as if they're playing only with socks or something.

biggrin

Because playing without socks would be damn near impossible.

And very painful.

Socker it is then !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Southall wrote
    I've never actually heard a British person call it "soccer", I don't think. It is indeed an odd-sounding name.

Sadly, I *have* to call it soccer here, otherwise I just confuse everyone.