• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2010
    No love for Horner's early works Kevin?

Oh, and welcome beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    No love for Horner's early works Kevin?

Oh, and welcome beer

I enjoyed Brainstorm a lot. I think he should do more horror tracks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BRAINSTORM is amongst his very best scores IMO. punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I've listened to such a wide range of his stuff, but off the top of my head, the scores that I've been impressed with the most would be Avatar, Apollo 13, Brainstorm, A Beautiful Mind, All the King's Men, The Missing, The Man Without A Face, House of Sand and Fog, Braveheart, The New World, and both releases of Titanic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A good list, for me it would be easier with Horner to state what I didn't like.

In no particular order and just for the hell of it is my personal favourites...

ALIENS
    brainstorm
    KRULL
    Braveheart
    The Perfect Storm
    Willow
    KRULL
    Cocoon
    Apollo 13
    A Beautiful Mind
    Titanic
    KRULL
    Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan
    Star Trek III : The Search For Spock
    KRULL
    Sneakers
    The Journey of Natty Gann
    KRULL

....did I mention KRULL?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You did. But I prefer Star Trek II.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    You did. But I prefer Star Trek II.

Did I not mention STAR TREK II : THE WRATH OF KHAN? ( holy shit ), I'm sure I mentioned STAR TREK II : THE WRATH OF KHAN? ( holy shit ) I can't imagine I would have forgotten to mention STAR TREK II : THE WRATH OF KHAN ( holy shit ).

I guess I'd better mention it then

STAR TREK II : THE WRATH OF KHAN ( holy shit )
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Timmer wrote
    A good list, for me it would be easier with Horner to state what I didn't like.

In no particular order and just for the hell of it is my personal favourites...

ALIENS
    brainstorm
    KRULL
    Braveheart
    The Perfect Storm
    Willow
    KRULL
    Cocoon
    Apollo 13
    A Beautiful Mind
    Titanic
    KRULL
    Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan
    Star Trek III : The Search For Spock
    KRULL
    Sneakers
    The Journey of Natty Gann
    KRULL

....did I mention KRULL?

You didn't include any scores for animated films sad I think some of his best music was for animated films.
  3. Yes, An American Tail was lovely, minus the singing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010
    Guys, you forget Once Upon a Forest... now, that's a score I like! (for an animated movie) Of course the other obvious choice would be the Land Before Time.

ps. Krull is my absolute favourite!
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Talos wrote
    Guys, you forget Once Upon a Forest... now, that's a score I like! (for an animated movie) Of course the other obvious choice would be the Land Before Time.

ps. Krull is my absolute favourite!

By the Glaive! KRUUUUUULLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!

Youz is topz in my book now Talos! cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010 edited
    Way back in the early 90's I placed an order for the second release of the expanded version of Krull. That time there was no internet, I placed the order through some small time score importer. Man, I had to wait long, like 2 months before I finally got it. Every day I looked in the postbox, but nothing was there... it was most depressing... finally after many many many days of disappointments I got it. WOW, just wow, I was so happy!

It was THE most anticipated order I made, ever! And it still is.

Of course later on, the "almost" complete score was released and I got that one too (of course), luckily that one arrived soon. But what a score! I love it, love it, love it... I can whistle it too by heart from the first minute till the last... this score is burned into my brain, note for note. I am not joking. It is just superb.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Same here! beer

I bought KRULL four different times...the LP ( err...way back when ), the CD, the Southern Cross CD with extra tracks and then finally the 2 CD release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Man, this score is it. Just from the start you know its going to rock... choir... rousing theme that goes on and on...

Quest for the Glaive... superb cool piano, choir... mystery, .... it is just great. All that you could wish for... oh, the LOVE THEME, that's a thing of beauty too!

Final tracks... brass galore!!! Rousing... relentless, it builds and builds and builds, some growling male choir.... love theme again... etc etc. ah, this is heaven!

KRULL KRULL KRULL!!! KRULL!!!

I love the name too: "Krull" It is just great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    and... play it loud!!! I think my neighbours could dream this score too. I like the harsh screaming sounds too in the score, just like the Beast is screaming...!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Oh, I forgot... I was lucky enough to find the original full sized movie poster of Krull too. I bought I special glass frame and hang it above my bed those days. Mainly just because of the music! hahaha. Crazy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KRRRRRRRRUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    K-R-U-L-L

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F6dSJkI … re=related

Wait till the end. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not that I disapprove, but what does Close Encounters have to do with Krull?
  4. Nearly a whole page of nothing but talk about Krull.

Seriously guys. I can't think of anything more depressing... rolleyes vomit

NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KRULL IS DA SHIT, YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THAT

Could he really compose something like that again, let alone conduct it the way he did? I'd like to hope so. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't think that kind of scoring is in him anymore. It happens to all composers I think, from Barry to Morricone to Williams etc etc.
  5. Well yes I can dream, can't I ?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Maybe it's the films that no longer want that kind of scoring.
  6. I have a question: has anybody here listened to both House of Sand & Fog and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas? Both of these scores have a cue that shares roughly the same melody towards the end -- "We Have Travelled So Far..." for the former, "Strange New Clothes" for the latter. It's this really string-heavy sequence where the strings just pile on the angst. Which cue does it better?

My money is on House... but that's probably because I felt that the score was better overall, whereas ...Striped Pajamas had a lot of slow parts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    As I've said before, I don't share the enthusiasm for KRULL. A couple of nice pieces (the centerpiece being "Ride of the Firemares"), but overall it's FAR too much horror stuff. Plus it falls into the bombastic category that I steer clear of these days. I still have the 2CD(-R) set, but I'm thinking about giving it away in an upcoming collection clean-out list. Since it's a CD-R, I don't feel like I can SELL it.

Sorry for being the party-pooper.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    No worries Thor, I guess it's not your fault you lack taste tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I have a question: has anybody here listened to both House of Sand & Fog and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas? Both of these scores have a cue that shares roughly the same melody towards the end -- "We Have Travelled So Far..." for the former, "Strange New Clothes" for the latter. It's this really string-heavy sequence where the strings just pile on the angst. Which cue does it better?

My money is on House... but that's probably because I felt that the score was better overall, whereas ...Striped Pajamas had a lot of slow parts.

As for me, the track you mention in The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas works wonders. It is hugely effective and memorable.
    House of Sand and Fog is also good but that score couldn't stick to my memory as much as the former one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    No worries Thor, I guess it's not your fault you lack taste tongue

Insert Ricki Lake-type "Oooooooooh!".

wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010
    What is Horner's worse score?