• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I like the music for Avatar already!

I pre-ordered the CD on Amazon and was given a "promotional offer" - a £2.00 gift to spend on mp3 downloads!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009
    Huh. Don't spend it all at once.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I like the music for Avatar already!

I pre-ordered the CD on Amazon and was given a "promotional offer" - a £2.00 gift to spend on mp3 downloads!!

I preordered weeks ago and I haven't seen any gifts sad
    Maybe they will give it to me when it actually ships...or maybe the US store is stingier wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Now, I have heard 1 minutes clips, I can say it seems more from a Media Ventures Sampler volume than a Horner score.

Horner tried hard to mix electronic strings and percusion to make a more "contemporany" sound and my first impression is the result is a little bit bland. Horner seems a little bit out of place here.

I still think, this score could have been perfect for James newton howard, wich combines the modern sounds from Zimmer studio and a classical sense of orchestrations.

The main theme, if simple, it's touching!

PS: In the clips you can hear the 4 notes danger motif, you can hear Four feathers and Glory. It's Horner After all.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    While I do roll my eyes when I hear the danger motif now, it would be disappointing if it wasn't there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    While I do roll my eyes when I hear the danger motif now, it would be disappointing if it wasn't there.

and Glory, and Mighy Joe Young and Four feathers (and Atlantis crystal effects, Time machine crescendos, GI joe electronics ) ...Inventive , right?

Whatever, I think Horner is not comfortable here mixing synthetic elements with orchestra. Zimmer guys doesn't have talent but but they can do this kind of things in his sleep.

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD FOR AVATAR!!! too late!

Anyway, How i said, the main theme is touching and for sure I will play it every day in Christmas seasons
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009
    Anthony wrote

I agree. The Four Note Motif® is almost like a drug for us. We know we don´t need it anymore.....but we so want it.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Spy Game piano motif is great in AVATAr , too.
  2. Very interesting article on Horner scoring Avatar:
    http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ … 936869.ece
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very enjoyable.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's all good and interesting, but this score is hyped up beyond anything i remember recently and it can only work against it in the end.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's all good and interesting, but this score is hyped up beyond anything i remember recently and it can only work against it in the end.

You know how modern media are working? Always the same story... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

True. It builds up expectation to an unsustainable level.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I don't now, I don't feel that my expectations are too high due to the media frenzy.

When I first entered the movie's official site I was less then impressed by those short snippets of music I could hear there. Then there was the sound clip at the score's official site which I loved and then I even more loved the 1 minute sound clips from all the tracks of the album.
    So my expectations are based on those sound clips rather than on the media build up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    I don't now, I don't feel that my expectations are too high due to the media frenzy.

When I first entered the movie's official site I was less then impressed by those short snippets of music I could hear there. Then there was the sound clip at the score's official site which I loved and then I even more loved the 1 minute sound clips from all the tracks of the album.
    So my expectations are based on those sound clips rather than on the media build up.

You aren't part of what we refer to as "general public" then wink Plus the whole thing also affects film music fans too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote

You aren't part of what we refer to as "general public" then wink Plus the whole thing also affects film music fans too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My expectations are high simply because it's James Horner. With Williams in retirement, Horner is now the pre-eminent American film composer in my eyes and one of the few who very rarely disappoints me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

of course it is. What did you expect? A new Cameron sci-fi film with a score by James Horner that he's had a year to work on. The hype hypes itself.

The trick is to try not to dwell on the hype and simply listen to it with an open mind when it's finally released.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am not talking about the hype itself, the film's premise but all those articles, one after another, endlessly banging it up for the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Isn't that exactly what "hype" is? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

of course it is. What did you expect? A new Cameron sci-fi film with a score by James Horner that he's had a year to work on. The hype hypes itself.

That's the key right there... the amount of time he had to work on. Relying on old themes and motifs will not be acceptable!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

wave spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

wave spin

:conan: :wheelofpain:

That's how epic the hype is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    That's the key right there... the amount of time he had to work on. Relying on old themes and motifs will not be acceptable!

We´re entering an old debate here. Using the same kind of themes and motifs is Horner´s style, so regardless of the time he had, we will get the same old stuff; Horner is just not the guy to reinvent the wheel.

But don´t get me wrong, I like it this way. Horner may rarely surprise, but most of the time, he delivers great stuff. And Avatar is exactly the kind of movie I would like to be scored by him.
  3. Avatar is kinda like the new Braveheart for James, so he had better written a score as appropriate as for that one.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Aside from John Williams I can't think of any other composer I'd want the film to be scored by.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Avatar is kinda like the new Braveheart for James, so he had better written a score as appropriate as for that one.

In my book it's rare that he doesn't deliver.