• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    ... but unlistenable outside the movie.

Oh the irony. You are not going to believe what's rocking the house down here in Sydney as we speak.

Unlistenable. Pah. Fie on those who say so. If more scores were this unlistenable, the world would be richer.

As for WOTW, i have to agree that's one of the best scores of the decade, both in and outside the movie. Such compositional levels and musical qualities are very rare in these days, the score's sound and musical design is beyond anything we got since it. One of Williams' most mature and impressive modern works in his latter career.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2009 edited
    I agree on the quality, BUT try to play this one while you´re sitting with your wife and kid together for dinner, or with friends on a lovely evening, or as relaxing music in the background, or try to concentrate on writing (or doing any other work) while playing it ... I think you´ll get what I´m saying now.

It is a fantastic score for the movie, but it has next to no use outside of it beside for studying how best to compose the perfect noise.

My family has learned to live with the odd action track here or there, and sometimes I can even play Willow without getting any kind of puzzled or pained looks from them (I´m talking about the action stuff, of course), but I wouldn´t even think about exposing them to this pile of chaos and hope they will stand it just because it is so well written. And even if I´m alone in the house and want to rock it with brutal scoring, I will never play this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I agree here with Ralph. War of the Worlds has one or two great moments but the score as a whole is nearly unlistenable - or shall I say unenjoyable?
    And it is from someone who can endure - and sometimes even like - Morricone's quirky tension music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAndy
    You're saying that WOTW is an unlistenable score outside of the movie because you can't enjoy it while having dinner with your family? Uhm, OK... In that case at least 50% of all scores fall in that category, i.e. all action, thriller or horror oriented scores. Seems like a strange way to define whether a score works outside the film or not, is all I'm saying.

WOTW is a marvelous score, both in the film and on CD. "The Ferry Scene" and "The Intersection Scene", for example, are two incredible, kick-ass cues. I actually think it's some of the best action and horror music Williams has ever written. It's complex, mature, sophisticated and... well, bloody great! It's NOT noise. It's creative scoring at its best. Just listen to the parts written for the two timpani players, how they bounce rythms and phrases between them, almost like a dialogue, or the syncopated brass. It's brilliant!
    Cookie monster
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm surprised you all have so much to say about AVATAR when only a few clips have been released, and when we haven't even seen the music in context. confused
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Andy wrote
    WOTW is a marvelous score, both in the film and on CD. "The Ferry Scene" and "The Intersection Scene", for example, are two incredible, kick-ass cues. I actually think it's some of the best action and horror music Williams has ever written. It's complex, mature, sophisticated and... well, bloody great! It's NOT noise. It's creative scoring at its best. Just listen to the parts written for the two timpani players, how they bounce rythms and phrases between them, almost like a dialogue, or the syncopated brass. It's brilliant!

Totally agreed. I felt the music was excellent within the film and I've grown fond of it on the CD too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    I'm surprised you all have so much to say about AVATAR when only a few clips have been released, and when we haven't even seen the music in context. confused

You evidently weren't here when The Dark Knight was on its way. This is nothing.
  1. As I´ve already said I do not deny that WotW is a great score. It just has very limited use outside the movie. My dinner example was just one of the examples, and yes, a lot of scores would fall under that category, but even then I would listen to a lot of these scores on other occasions, but not to WotW. The score simply does nothing good for me. It´s creative as hell, yeah, I´ll admit that. But it also gives me a headache. I don´t need that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

You evidently weren't here when The Dark Knight was on its way. This is nothing.

True, I remember that thread. I just never followed it, so I was spared the long diatribes and speculations.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    How I said, I think Avatar could be perfect for James Newton Howard ( in fact, in the clips you can hear Horner tryng to do this kind of mix of elements that JNH has done in scores like Waterworld and Atlantis).

Zimmer....Zimmer is my favourite composer. But he is doing too much the "I compose the suites, my little clones arrange them into the images". And I don't want this for a BIG movie. I don't think Zimmer could compose 100 minutes of music for Avatar. At least, now ( i want the times of peacemaker back!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Andy wrote
    You're saying that WOTW is an unlistenable score outside of the movie because you can't enjoy it while having dinner with your family? Uhm, OK... In that case at least 50% of all scores fall in that category, i.e. all action, thriller or horror oriented scores. Seems like a strange way to define whether a score works outside the film or not, is all I'm saying.

Indeed. Whatever is NOT listenable on dinner with friends is not enjoyable outside the movie? This is very odd to me...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    As I´ve already said I do not deny that WotW is a great score. It just has very limited use outside the movie. My dinner example was just one of the examples, and yes, a lot of scores would fall under that category, but even then I would listen to a lot of these scores on other occasions, but not to WotW. The score simply does nothing good for me. It´s creative as hell, yeah, I´ll admit that. But it also gives me a headache. I don´t need that.

But that doesn't describe a score's enjoyability. I, for one, and am sure lots of other people too, DO enjoy listening to dark, dissonant music too, whatever the occasion. That's just your personal preference but it's nowhere ever near to describe WOTW's actual listen-ability degrees outside the movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Personally I'd love another Krull (who wouldn't?)

Me.
    Steven wrote

We won't get another Krull. We'll get Avatar.

Thank God.

BOOOOOOO!!!! HISS! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

True, I remember that thread. I just never followed it, so I was spared the long diatribes and speculations.

You missed nothing Thunderer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Personally I'd love another Krull (who wouldn't?)

Me.

There are always strange people in the world. People like you and Justin who don't like Krull.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Blimey. I think Justin's put the nail in the coffin for him already there!

This is Horner. We will undoubtedly hear something from a past score (as with any composer I suppose), and having had a year to work on the film means he's simply had more time to explore more ideas. It doesn't necessarily imply he will, or even should, produce something completely original. It just means he's had time to develop ideas he probably would have had had he worked on the film for a significantly less amount of time.

Imagine something completely original from Horner and then the dissent that would ensue from fans saying it sounds nothing like him biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    As I´ve already said I do not deny that WotW is a great score. It just has very limited use outside the movie. My dinner example was just one of the examples, and yes, a lot of scores would fall under that category, but even then I would listen to a lot of these scores on other occasions, but not to WotW. The score simply does nothing good for me. It´s creative as hell, yeah, I´ll admit that. But it also gives me a headache. I don´t need that.

But that doesn't describe a score's enjoyability. I, for one, and am sure lots of other people too, DO enjoy listening to dark, dissonant music too, whatever the occasion. That's just your personal preference but it's nowhere ever near to describe WOTW's actual listen-ability degrees outside the movie.

Well, then it´s my personal preference ... and that of most other people.

I´m no ignorant. I know that there are people out there who find this score enjoyable, and I´m happy for them. And I tried to say it again and again, as a score, this is brilliant. But beyond the tiny space of filmmusic geekdom, this kind of music makes people scream in agony.

That doesn´t say anything about its quality, but I dont believe you want to tell me that WotW has the same level of listenability as, for example, Schindler´s List. And this is all that I´m talking about, and you know it, yet you prefer to dig deeper into a discussion that makes no sense whatsoever. You know WotW is hard to listen to for normal people, and for a lot, if not most, score geeks too. Hell, if we would be talking about any other dark film music or other stuff that´s deemed unlistenable, like Iron Man, which is actually a gazillion times more listenable to the general public than WotW, this discussion would have been over the minute it was started.

But it´s John Williams, isn´t it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

This is Horner. We will undoubtedly hear something from a past score (as with any composer I suppose), and having had a year to work on the film means he's simply had more time to explore more ideas. It doesn't necessarily imply he will, or even should, produce something completely original. It just means he's had time to develop ideas he probably would have had had he worked on the film for a significantly less amount of time.

Imagine something completely original from Horner and then the dissent that would ensue from fans saying it sounds nothing like him biggrin wink

Very spot-on. spin lick Horner fans are like babes, never fully satisfied.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

It's bound to get some criticisms. I very much doubt that it's going to live up to the hype on the first listen! (But then, as ever, it will gather its fans gradually throughout the next year... I reckon.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

I must be an exception to the rule then!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I'm rarely less than satisfied by his music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Well, then it´s my personal preference ... and that of most other people.

I´m no ignorant. I know that there are people out there who find this score enjoyable, and I´m happy for them. And I tried to say it again and again, as a score, this is brilliant. But beyond the tiny space of filmmusic geekdom, this kind of music makes people scream in agony.

Wait 'till you listen to modern compositional techniques these days, with atonal, serialism, 12-note and stuff like that in the concert / academic compositional world. WOTW is mellow in comparison wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven and James, you are the exception of the rule it seems, the satisfied babes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I must be an exception to the rule then!

Me too! I think I can count on one hand the amount of his scores that disappointed me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A fan 'never fully satisfied' with Horner's music can't be much of a fan!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Christodoulides wrote
    Wait 'till you listen to modern compositional techniques these days, with atonal, serialism, 12-note and stuff like that in the concert / academic compositional world. WOTW is mellow in comparison wink

You´re correct there.

I guess whoever listens to that kind of stuff would play the merry tunes of WOTW for their wedding ceremony. biggrin

You´re one of them, D.? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not really, i can't listen to that stuff. But dissonant orchestral textures in film music are a treat for me smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    As long as they are played during the film only, I´m with you. At home, dissonant will be played only if I want to torture my RPG players during scenes of chaos and brutal violence.

Oh, I just found a use for my WOTW score ... biggrin
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm not after an 80s masterpiece myself. As long as he makes it a better film, that's all I really care about. He didn't really do that for two of his other acclaimed recent scores - ALL THE KING'S MEN (a film killer, but then the film wasn't good anyway), and NEW WORLD (which wouldn't have been a bad score, just hard to imagine it working nearly as well as the classical tracks that made the film what it was).

What the film was is actually considered a good thing? wink I think THE NEW WORLD is a damn fine score and if the director actually used it in correct balance in the film, instead of butching it up and replacing it with last-minute classical pieces, it would have worked wonders, then MAYBE the film could have been elevated a bit more to try and reach TTRL.

When I hear things like that, I wonder if people really understand why Zimmer's score works in that film. For those viewers who like TRL, a big part of its particular appeal is that it feels so spiritual for a war film. The film itself is almost a spiritual experience, and a big part of the reason for that is the pan-theistic medley of ideas contained in Zimmer's score and the remnants of the temp track (Faure, Ives, Part, Jovanovich). It wasn't just a war film, and it wasn't just about the action, nor was it about triumphing over some (equally spiritually confused) enemy, because there was something more. The music (and narration) was providing that perspective.

So too in THE NEW WORLD, Malick is trying to make that story more than just a love story. He wants the spiritual there. But Horner's score rarely gets beyond a melodic expression of the ideas of colonial presence and love. He is scoring the surface story (and said as much in his interview with Schweiger, that this is the only level at which he felt the film should work), rather than going to the next level, as Zimmer's score for TRL does. (And Morricone's score for DAYS OF HEAVEN, and the use of Orff in BADLANDS, for that matter.) The odd moment when Horner's score does say a bit more than 'this is a love story', e.g. the vocal during the battle scene, was in the film, and it has transformative effect, abstracting from the war onscreen and suggesting broader perspective of human history. The one thing you can say about both the Mozart and the Wagner pieces is that neither of them are connecting to the love story. They're both pitching ideas against the film that are deeper, more significant, more mysterious. Ideas that aren't there.

I'm not saying that this produces a more accessible film. I think the film would have to have been edited along the lines of what Horner was scoring to pull in big crowds. And more people here would like it, I imagine. But it is a stunning, mysterious work of art, and Horner's music just wasn't consistent with that vision, whether you like the vision or not.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Not really, i can't listen to that stuff. But dissonant orchestral textures in film music are a treat for me smile

Unless they're by... Morricone!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am