• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Looks like the length of the Filmtracks review has even surpassed the Gladiator one - http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/avatar.html

He gives it a 5 star rating.

I'm with Steven. I glanced over this review, what a bloated windbag of a review that is, put me right off reading it.

There's not much room for those reviews anymore, nowadays i think. People are simply bored to sit through all that, plus there's the ability to listen to the stuff even in preview yourself, digitally, so that the most probable is that by the time such a long review is published, most possibly you've already listened to the score yourself. I personally prefer reviews that are a bit more adapted and up-to-date to the standards of our time: good but concentrated and compact information.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Yeah such a lengthy review would've made sense for the whole TLOTR trilogy scores, but for one 78 minute disc? rolleyes I'll make up my own mind, thank you very much.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Why isn't that bonus track on the album? ('Into the Navi World'?) It's a much better thing to go between 'War' and 'I see you' than to go from one to another.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Looks like the length of the Filmtracks review has even surpassed the Gladiator one - http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/avatar.html

I'm with Steven. I glanced over this review, what a bloated windbag of a review that is, put me right off reading it.

There's not much room for those reviews anymore, nowadays i think. People are simply bored to sit through all that, plus there's the ability to listen to the stuff even in preview yourself, digitally, so that the most probable is that by the time such a long review is published, most possibly you've already listened to the score yourself. I personally prefer reviews that are a bit more adapted and up-to-date to the standards of our time: good but concentrated and compact information.

Well I for one truly appreciate the depth of Mr. Clemmensen's review. Of course, that statement comes from the perspective of someone who enjoys film music not just as background listening or a reminder of a film he really likes, but rather as an art form in its own right. I don't just listen to film music; to a certain extent, I make a study of it. I'm not interested merely in experiencing a surface-level emotional reaction to a score. I want to know and understand the details: the core themes of the score and all of their various uses (both obvious and obscure), the various combinations of instruments, the development and adaptation of ideas throughout the course of the story, and of course the intent of the music: what each element is meant to convey.

Simply put, I believe that music is always more beautiful when it is orderly and meaningful; and in many cases, including film scores, you can add complexity as a key element of the equation. I generally find that peeling back the layers and learning about the intricate details of a score makes the listening experience all the more special. Assuming it's well written, that is--because sometimes after peeling back the first layer or two, you realize there's nothing left to discover! wink Which brings me to my second and last point:

I think most of us can agree that much of today's film music is unworthy of any significant analysis, let alone the nearly exhaustive analysis of some of Mr. Clemmensen's reviews; but in the case of Avatar, his review revealed to me a level of complexity and depth to Horner's music that went far beyond what I had noticed in my first few listens. Say what you will about Horner (and I've made plenty of less-than-complementary comments about him myself), but the man is capable of phenomenal writing; he understands not only emotion, but also structure and storytelling.

In short, I'm glad Christian put so much time and effort into this review; I believe the music deserves such attention, unlike many of the other scores I've heard this year.

Another quick note regarding the Avatar score: I am by no means a Horner apologist--in fact, I detest his incessant need to repeat himself--yet I have found myself listening to Avatar again and again over the past week or so. Who woulda thunk it?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009
    Nice post, Josh. I agree with all the points you make, especially on the qualities of Horner's AVatar, but those can also be revealed by carefully listening to the score, observing its functions within the movie, drawing thoughts and notices on the music, listening to it repeatedly and focused. I.e., the processes most of us do anyway with our beloved genre. However, i think that whilst such a long review can be helpful to some, still it's not necessary to exist in order for one to truly appreciate and understand those behind-the-surface qualities of a score like Avatar smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nice post, Josh. I agree with all the points you make, especially on the qualities of Horner's AVatar, but those can also be revealed by carefully listening to the score, observing its functions within the movie, drawing thoughts and notices on the music, listening to it repeatedly and focused. I.e., the processes most of us do anyway with our beloved genre. However, i think that whilst such a long review can be helpful to some, still it's not necessary to exist in order for one to truly appreciate and understand those behind-the-surface qualities of a score like Avatar smile

I think we're just about on the same page here. Where we differ is that I often prefer a review that helps me cut to the chase, offering me a level of analysis that I simply don't have the time to discover for myself. I (like most of the wonderful people here) listen to a lot of scores, and I often prefer to plumb the depths of a score in a condensed timeframe as opposed to listening to it again and again over the course of days and weeks.

Plus, sometimes there are elements that, no matter how many times I listen to a score, my perspective or focus might not allow me to pick up. So I appreciate a detailed review...but again, it also depends on which score is being reviewed. Some scores (like, to use another recent example, Zimmer's Sherlock Holmes) deserve no more than a few paragraphs as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not saying a comprehensive review is necessary for enjoyment of the music, but I have no doubt that it helps. At least it helps me. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Good points, indeed! Well done! applause beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  3. Timmer wroteI'm with Steven. I glanced over this review, what a bloated windbag of a review that is, put me right off reading it.

What an exceptionally nasty and unneccesary comment. Heaven forbid someone take the time to write a long, detailed, in-depth review of a film score FOR FREE which he then posts on his website for others to read FOR FREE.

Why didn't you just dismiss his efforts with a cursory "tl;dr", and have done with it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Just because it's free doesn't mean it's free from criticism. I myself am not saying that it's a terrible thing that he's written an essay-long review, I'm just saying I have no interest in such lengthy reviews.
  4. No, but calling it a "bloated windbag of a review" is not a valid criticism. Is War & Peace a bloated windbag of a novel? If you're commenting on errors in the content, or differences of opinion in the analysis, then that's one thing. This is something else entirely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I say, the longer and more thoughtful, the better. smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Jon Broxton wrote
    No, but calling it a "bloated windbag of a review" is not a valid criticism. Is War & Peace a bloated windbag of a novel? If you're commenting on errors in the content, or differences of opinion in the analysis, then that's one thing. This is something else entirely.

For some reviewers, and for Tolstoy too I imagine, the longer form works because they can hold a reader. I can't say I've ever made it all the way through one of Clemmensen's very long reviews.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Being brief and succinct equals wisdom. This is what Greeks said wink
  6. Jon Broxton wrote
    No, but calling it a "bloated windbag of a review" is not a valid criticism.

No, but it is an opinion, which we are all free to make, whether correct or incorrect.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. And BTW, I'm all too aware of the irony of me describing another reviewer's writing as being too long for its readability.
    But then that's why I don't really write reviews online anymore. I like to do them in a certain amount of detail, but I'm aware that people generally don't read them.
  8. justin boggan wroteNo, but it is an opinion, which we are all free to make, whether correct or incorrect.

I agree he has the right to make it. I just think it was unnecessarily nasty thing to say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    And BTW, I'm all too aware of the irony of me describing another reviewer's writing as being too long for its readability.
    But then that's why I don't really write reviews online anymore. I like to do them in a certain amount of detail, but I'm aware that people generally don't read them.

But we're more interested in what you have to say. wink
  9. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Being brief and succinct equals wisdom. This is what Greeks said wink

cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2009 edited
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Timmer wroteI'm with Steven. I glanced over this review, what a bloated windbag of a review that is, put me right off reading it.

What an exceptionally nasty and unneccesary comment. Heaven forbid someone take the time to write a long, detailed, in-depth review of a film score FOR FREE which he then posts on his website for others to read FOR FREE.

Why didn't you just dismiss his efforts with a cursory "tl;dr", and have done with it?

I didn't mean it as nasty as it sounded ( looking at it now it does look nasty ), I have respect for Clemmonson and should have showed that for the effort he put into his review, but I do realise that my wording comes across as very harsh and for that I unreservedly apologise.

It was a review that was far too long for my taste and I prefer shorter, more concise reviews.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    With so many other websites providing brief, condensed reviews, I think it is nice that he is willing to put so much analysis into the review. People that don't like long reviews can skip it. I still think it should exist for those who like them. Some people like short CD releases. Others like long ones. It's the same debate. I personally think long should still exist for those who want more than what is in the short.
  10. They are discussing us over at Filmtracks. shocked

http://www.filmtracks.com/comments/titl … gi?read=28
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

As they say, "There's no such thing as bad press."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Read this:

http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/in … read=46376

They are almost bashing at our beloved Thomas. Oh! yeah! i can see live Avatar show, CLASH OF TWO FORUM. biggrin Interesting! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    biggrin

As they say, "There's no such thing as bad press."

Oh, definitely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I just read the following from IMDB user comments, one of the user wrote the following comments about James Horner's score. wink

Really Great Cinematic Experience

BUT. MR Cameron, I have to say (hope you read it) If you want to reinvent Cinema, or make another great film please step away from James Horner. I think this man is not capable of making a thrilling score to an outstanding movie. I really do feel sorry for you because of the score of the film. It has some elements in it which are truly magical but the rest sounds like a collection of stuff we already know. So movie-----> outstanding, but score i'm sorry it is just nothing special. I really had trouble watching a supposedly new cinematic experience, but i could'nt help it i was so often reminded to different older scores. Same instruments same passages and the stupid trumpet all over it. Mr. Cameron i am not questioning you taste of music but why haven't you asked James Newton Howard as an for instance? Good luck with your next film, looking forward to a fresh score.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    God damn all those scores with stupid trumpets. James Newton Howard never uses trumpets. He rocks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, trumpets are stupid. What do you need them for, anyway?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erm, for when they want to, erm, blow things?