• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    FOUR FEATHERS is another highlight from recent years for me.

I'm with ya on that one, too!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. It is ultimately that kind of adventure scoring - pure adventure narrative - that I like most in Horner's music. I can't get into THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES however, ironically!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    It is ultimately that kind of adventure scoring - pure adventure narrative - that I like most in Horner's music. I can't get into THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES however, ironically!

Well, Spiderwick is such a terrible listen, incoherent, all over the place and with no real central theme to tie it all together.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Titanic eh? yeah right tongue

It's actually really good!

-Erik-

Yes , it is. Specially when the ship is sinking...Nice action stuff.

Still very hornerish...I mean sacharine. But I enjoyed a lot this score when I bought it. (Much more than peacemaker wich I bought the same day)

NP:Conan (Poledouris)

Some people says Is overrated, just because it's a classic. Some people prefer flesh and Blood or farewell to the king...Im not one of these persons....

The love theme really makes me go back to an ancient ages.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

You might as well talk to a brick wall, trust me.

A brick wall with ears who shudders when those dreadfully awful synths and synth choirs kick in and wonders how would people react if another poor fella had written that score instead.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

Some people says Is overrated, just because it's a classic.

Nonsense. I have NEVER heard anyone describe Conan as overrated!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

Me neither. CONAN absolutely rules!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

You might as well talk to a brick wall, trust me.

A brick wall with ears who shudders when those dreadfully awful synths and synth choirs kick in and wonders how would people react if another poor fella had written that score instead.

I don't care who writes the score. A good score is a good score... and synth choir aside... it's a damn good score! Great theme for the boat, CLASSIC love theme and some very impressive action material. It gave the film an added emotional boost and a musical voice that will never be forgotten. A great job by Horner and much deserved Oscar win.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ....but those damn synths are ALL over the place, i simply can't stand 'em! They're soooo horrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    ....but those damn synths are ALL over the place, i simply can't stand 'em! They're soooo horrible.

You know what... it's not really good choral writing to begin with. I will give you that. Listening to the "Southampton" and "Take Her to Sea, Mr. Murdoch" cues re-recorded by Horner and Debney the live choir actually sounds worse. But I think Cameron wanted that Enya sound and Horner gave it to him.

As for the other synths... the ones heard in Braveheart and what not... I always like them in Horner's scores.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah; and seriously, i'll too give you the good theme thing, the main (love) theme's gorgeous of course and certainly one of the boldest and most memorable ever in film music; that IS true. But overall i truly think it's a love it or hate it situation, TITANIC (and to an extent BRAVEHEART) and personally it's far away from the "love it" situation for me! I can spend hours listening to the beauty of THE FOUR FEATHERS or ALL THE KING'S MEN, THE NEW WORLD or even BEYOND BORDERS and BEAUTIFUL MIND instead wink
  2. Beauty is ephemeral. All is destruction, the thinly-disguised cannibal instinct, polished to varying degrees of ---

Sorry, I try to keep Werner Herzog away from my keyboard! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You know what... it's not really good choral writing to begin with. I will give you that. Listening to the "Southampton" and "Take Her to Sea, Mr. Murdoch" cues re-recorded by Horner and Debney the live choir actually sounds worse. But I think Cameron wanted that Enya sound and Horner gave it to him.

As for the other synths... the ones heard in Braveheart and what not... I always like them in Horner's scores.

-Erik-

Do you mean the 20 minute suite on the Back To Titanic album? Please for the love of god tell me you don't mean that!? shocked

Oh, and I love the synths. LOVE the synths.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Do you mean the 20 minute suite on the Back To Titanic album? Please for the love of god tell me you don't mean that!? shocked

Sort of... at least Horner left the synth choir in for the faster paced music while Debney uses the live choir exclusively which sounds really odd. But I prefer Debney's arrangement over Horner's own suite. While Debney's pace of "Rose" is excruciatingly slow I find that his suite is better balanced and arranged than Horner's version. But then again, it's been a while since I've listened to Horner's version mainly because I find Simon Rhodes recording compared to Shawn Murphy's recording of the OST to be very flat!

-Erik-
  3. I find "Rose" to be very well written, paced perfectly, and one of the best things he has done. And let's not froget some of the action music could easily pass off as that "grand" sound thye look for in trailer music.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Oh, and I love the synths. LOVE the synths.

It's ok, you will get well one day; eventually tongue biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I really have a problem, I used to love Horner. But Right now this man really annoys me.

What can I do? I want enjoy again his masterpieces! sad

Star Trek
    Krull
    Brainstrom
    Aliens
    Willow
    The Land Before Time
    The Rocketeer
    Legends of the Fall
    The Spitfire Grill
    Braveheart
    Apollo 13
    The Mask of Zorro
    Radio
    the Perfect Storm

That should do!

-Erik-

Why isn't Legend Of Zorro on that list? Am I the only one that thinks that it's far superior to the first score? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Far superior? I can see why you would prefer it to the first one, but 'far superior' is pushing it a little I think. It's pretty much a different version of the same score, it shares too many similarities to call either one far superior.

Personally I prefer the first one, there's more of an emotional narrative throughout the score. The second kicks ass as well though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The stuff in Titanic is composed specifically for synth choir, so when it's performed by a real choir it doesn't work. As the Debney suite proves.

Also, Legend of Zorro is better than Mask. I'm afraid that's just the way it is. If you don't like that, cry into your coffee all you want, it won't do any good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote

Why isn't Legend Of Zorro on that list? Am I the only one that thinks that it's far superior to the first score? shocked

There's NO single way you can say LEGEND OF ZORRO is superior (esp. FAR superior) than the first one, this being a tremendously succesful and beautiful score whereas the 2nd one being - with some exceptions - a really soulless imo - and generic sequel!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

There's NO single way you can say LEGEND OF ZORRO is superior (esp. FAR superior) than the first one, this being a tremendously succesful and beautiful score whereas the 2nd one being - with some exceptions - a really soulless imo - and generic sequel!

Maybe that's why I prefer it then - I'd much rather go for senseless action than something meaningful and/or touching. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    slant biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Anthony wrote
    Maybe that's why I prefer it then - I'd much rather go for senseless action than something meaningful and/or touching. tongue

Heartless soul!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Far superior? I can see why you would prefer it to the first one, but 'far superior' is pushing it a little I think. It's pretty much a different version of the same score, it shares too many similarities to call either one far superior.

Agreed! While Legend is a very enjoyable listen with "The Train" as the scores highlight I just can't put it above Mask because of the reasons above. The variations on the themes Horner created for the original are imaginative in Legend but there isn't enough new material that goes above and beyond the first score.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

I've heard one person say that at the FSM board, just the one, I've never heard 'overrated' by anybody else on any film music board?......This 'one' person was obviously a cretin! moon

Who are these 'some people' though Jordi?

I doubt I'll get an answer rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Agreed! While Legend is a very enjoyable listen with "The Train" as the scores highlight I just can't put it above Mask because of the reasons above. The variations on the themes Horner created for the original are imaginative in Legend but there isn't enough new material that goes above and beyond the first score.

-Erik-

Agreed. Most likely why he doesnt like too much scoring sequels (in a way he's doing that all the time biggrin ).
    I was a bit surprised at the excellent reviews of Legend putting it above the first one.
    While very well written (as usual with Horner) and entertaining, i felt it was quite downsized comparing to the first one. One has to say though that Mask was performed by the LSO and the LSO > all (+ add one of the best Rhodes' recording).
  4. Christodoulides wrote

Try calling it 'pretentious', 'unedifying' and 'boring' too. Like 'soulless' and 'generic' and 'successful', they're completely unquantifiable criteria for comparing two things. wink

For my part, I listen to the second more. It's essentially the same material, but the recording is more to my taste, as are some of the orchestrations.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    The variations on the themes Horner created for the original are imaginative in Legend but there isn't enough new material that goes above and beyond the first score.

As far as I can tell there's hardly any new material in the sequel score. But if I could only have one, I'd take the sequel, just because he does adequately restate the best parts of the first score, as well as offer up some very good stuff that wasn't in the first one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2008 edited
    On the new poster of The Life Before Her Eyes you can see at the bottom the logo of Lakeshore...

http://www.comingsoon.net/gallery/40750 … poster.jpg
  6. I have now the confirmation that the cd will be released by Lakeshore on April 15th.