• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    I don't agree with your logic. Just because his earlier scores are great, then The Rocketeer can't be as great. The Rocketeer is on equal playing ground with those earlier masterpieces.

I always compare, and it doesn't matter if its written before or after it, I compare it with what I heard, no matter how much I love The Rocketeer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011
    Allow me to say, before anything gets out of hand, that I think The Rocketeer is terrific. The end title piece would get into my top five pieces of film music. So there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I always compare, and it doesn't matter if its written before or after it, I compare it with what I heard, no matter how much I love The Rocketeer

Just let it stand on its own merits.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Being relatively new at reviewing film music I am finding that I am trying to have a bit of consistency when rating scores. Although each rating star will have a small level of different quality titles, I am finding that when I give a provisional rating I compare it with scores of similar rating. If I rate a score 3-stars and when I compare it to a score that I gave a lower score I find I like the lower rated score more, I have to look at the ratings I gave for the most recent title.

Also, a score needs to be pretty special to get a 5-star rating. And as I know little about the quality of the music itself, I must score it on how it makes me feel and how the album as a whole sounds in terms of enjoyment. If I have seen the film, there is bound to be some influence on the scoring if the music works, etc. But that additional information will be detailed somewhere in the review so that people know that I have taken the music-image relationship into account.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorTravis
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Allow me to say, before anything gets out of hand, that I think The Rocketeer is terrific. The end title piece would get into my top five pieces of film music. So there.

Rocketeer is an outstanding work of Americana adventure! I can still remember the day I purchased it back in 1991 when I was 15. My mom waited in the car while I ran into the mall. I was a novice back then and came across the cassette for The Rocketeer. By that point I knew the name James Horner and even though I had never seen the movie or heard the score I decided if it was by James it must be good. As soon as I got back to the car I popped the cassette into my Walkman and was just blown away, especially when the drums come in a lit bit into the Main Title. Scores like the Rocketeer just bring home the fact that being a film score enthusiast is a wonderful thing. Five stars in my book, as if you couldn't have guessed smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011 edited
    yeah

Thanks for sharing your story! I love read stuff like that!

BTW, here is a little reminder of how absolutely magnificent this score is and why it is one of the greatest adventure scores of all time!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorTravis
    Erik Woods wrote
    yeah

Thanks for sharing your story! I love read stuff like that!

BTW, here is a little reminder of how absolutely magnificent this score is and why it is one of the greatest adventure scores of all time!

-Erik-

Sweet suite! It combines some of the best parts. The Rocketeer is a great score to use in introducing a newbie to score music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'd dearly love (turn away now Thor) a complete score release of The Rocketeer!
    Love it! It's a five star score for me too!
  3. James Horner In Talks to Score The Amazing Spider-Man:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/09/20 … pider-man/
  4. Holy moly, this could either be really interesting, or really crap.

I am uncertain about this watermelon!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Great! But it's surprising, just like when he did The Karate Kid. I thought they have chosen Harry Gregson-Williams to make the score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011
    Horner on Spidey, okay, I'm interested.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Timmer wrote
    Horner on Spidey, okay, I'm interested.

For a second there, I thought I saw:

"Horny on Spidey, okay, i'm interested."
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm getting a bit tired of comic book movies, to be honest, whatever the hero and whatever the composer.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I'm getting a bit tired of comic book movies, to be honest, whatever the hero and whatever the composer.

I'm not tired of comic book movies at all, I am, however, tired of the continual wallpaper pasted generic themeless scoring we continually get over and over again with only the very ( VERY ) rare standout once in a blue moon.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2011
    Wow... I never thought in a million years Horner would score a Spider-Man movie. He must've been impressed by the script or the rough cut he saw.

I honestly thought a MV/RC composer would get the assignment. Provided Horner doesn't get replaced at the last minute (knock on wood), it'd be something to look forward to.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  7. Last big studio score for Horner was actually replacing an MV/RC composer, so I think they know what they are doing smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2011 edited
    What, hire Horner and then tell him to write like he's an MV/RC composer? (Avatar)

Yes, I jest tongue
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  8. Scorefanatic wrote
    James Horner In Talks to Score The Amazing Spider-Man:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/09/20 … pider-man/

Now that would be interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2011
    Great new development, if it actually launches.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    "Yikes!" shouted Gilbert. "That's the largest watermelon I've ever seen!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    "Yikes!" shouted Gilbert. "That's the largest watermelon I've ever seen!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    It was funnier the first time James! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  9. Is there an echo? Or is James' posts evidence that the CERN neutrino results are correct?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. I blame Bregt. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is there an echo? Or is James' posts evidence that the CERN neutrino results are correct?

He's in Thailand, so obviously something wonky with the connection there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2011 edited
    He's using that Blackberry.
    Kazoo