• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012
    I'm probably the only person on the planet who doesn't dislike its use in any score. Don't worry, I do feel quite dirty saying that on a film music forum.
  1. I usually don't mind either, but to me its use in Perfect Storm (and in my favourite cue!) is quite awkward rhythmically.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's probably more accurate if I said I've given up fighting it now. I just take it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    If he uses that danger motif as frequently as he uses in some scores of course it's annoying unless you really love it, but even then..........
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I LOVE ENEMY AT THE GATES

beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I'm probably the only person on the planet who doesn't dislike its use in any score. Don't worry, I do feel quite dirty saying that on a film music forum.

No, I'm the same. I've never been bothered by it. In fact, I LOVE it, for reasons previously mentioned.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012 edited
    Southall wrote
    OK, so here's the programme of the James Honer concert I will finance when I win the National Lottery.

Krull - Ride of the Firemares
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - Boys Playing Airplanes
    Titanic - Rose - Take Her to Sea, Mr Murdoch
    Avatar - Becoming One of the People / Becoming One with Neytiri - Jake's First Flight - War
    Apollo 13 - The Launch
    Cocoon - The Ascension

-Intermission-

The Mask of Zorro - Plaza of Execution - Zorro's Theme
    A Beautiful Mind - A Kaleidoscope of Mathematics
    Brainstorm - Michael's Gift to Karen
    Glory - Burning the Town of Darien - Charing Fort Wagner - Closing Credits
    Star Trek II - Enterprise Clears Moorings - Battle in the Mutara Nebula - End Titles

Encore:
    The Rocketeer - Rocketeer to the Rescue / Finale

That would be a dream come true. Start playing the lottery James. Do you accept donations?

I've done dozens of Horner concert programmes in my head, but this one is a fine selection!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorteatree
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012
  2. I was listening to Clear and Present Danger last night. I think that "The Ambush" is one of the best cues Horner's ever written. Well-paced, action-packed, and suspenseful. What more could you ask for?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

They love you too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    I like the samples. But I am not happy to see that these "wailing vocals" have become the musical signature of the region.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote

They love you too.

Don't mock the boy. It's a good Christian attitude.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. EatG is one of the worst scoes I ever bought. I've told this story before.

I saw people saying how "mature" and how "Good" it was and raving about it. Being a Horner fan and the transitional period where he was moving away from regularly doing scores I liked, I fell for the bunk and when and bought it at a store. With tax, probably somewhere around $26.

Awful, awful, awful*. And the constant, slap-in-the-face four note Danger Motif.

Nobody wanted it. The local, now closed, used CD store was offering something like three dollars for it.

The worst goddamn blind buy ever. I don't remember how I got rid of it now, but preferably throwing it at Horner would have been more satisfying.

* = A different kind of awful.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2012
    Aweful? Can't be bad then.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote

Then you might enjoy "The Darkest Hour" (Tyler Bates).
    Awful.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorMikal
    justin boggan wrote
    Timmer wrote

Then you might enjoy "The Darkest Hour" (Tyler Bates).
    Aweful.

I'm not sure you understand, Justin. You're actually thinking of the word "awful." Spelling it the way you did connotes that his scores are brimming with awe, hence Timmer's response.
  5. Not quite so, considering there is no such word as "aweful". I've ordered and immediate spanking from Grammer Nazi, and one point deduced from my Interwebs Card.
    • CommentAuthorMikal
    justin boggan wrote
    Not quite so, considering there is no such word as "aweful". I've ordered and immediate spanking from Grammer Nazi, and one point deduced from my Interwebs Card.

Oh, I never said there was such a word. I just said that spelling it the way you did suggests that Enemy at the Gates is a score which is full of awe. That's what the suffix "-ful" means, "full of."

Furthermore, it's "grammar," "deducted," and "an" before "immediate." biggrin

-Grammar Nazi
  6. "Grammer" was intentional, the rest is a call signal to have myself attacked. Speaking of which...

"It's a bird!"
    "It's a plane!"
    "It's a huge Toblerone!"

No, it's ... Grammer Nazi!!!"

(Theme: DA DA DA DUH!)

"Hello, fellow posters!"

Posters: "Hello!!!"

"My, my, what a shame. Today I have to belittle my own creator!"

Edit Fairy: "Oh, crap, I wasn't fast enough!"

"No shit. You see the word and makes no sense whatsoever before immediate in the second sentence. I'm sure what Justin meant to type was 'an', but his fingers just weren't up the the task."

Justin: "I was distracted, I got something in the mail that thrilled me."

"We'll talk about your blacked-out covered plastic bags that may or may not contain naughty adult material, later."

Justin: "Probably best. It's either admit that, or say it was Leonard Rosenman. Either way I can't win that argument in real life."

"No, I would think not! But we aren't done there yet. Now we have to decode the mystery of deducing a point from your Interwebs Card. Deduce: to derive as a conclusion from something known or assumed; infer. While it still works by the actual meaning of 'derive' in the dictionary, the baffling surprise use has caught us all of guard!"

Justin: "I'm sneaky that way."

"Yes, that's the ticket! Let this be a lesson to spell check in the future!
    Grammer Nazi ... AWAAAYYY!!!"

(End theme: DA DUM DA DA DUM, DA DAAAAHHHH!!! DOOM!)
    • CommentAuthorMikal
    justin boggan wrote
    "Grammer" was intentional, the rest is an call signal to have myself attacked. Speaking of which...

"It's a bird!"
    "It's a plane!"
    "It's a huge Toblerone!"

"Hello, fellow posters!"

"No shit. You see the word and makes no sense whatsoever before immediate in the second sentence. I'm sure what Justin meant to type was 'an', but his fingers just weren't up the the task."

"We'll talk about your blacked-out covered plastic bags that may or may not contain naughty adult material, later."

Justin: "Probably best. It's either admit that, or say it was Leonard Rosenman. Either way I can't win that argument in real life."

"No, I would think not! But we aren't done there yet. Now we have to decode the mystery of deducing a point from your Interwebs Card. Deduce: to derive as a conclusion from something known or assumed; infer. While it still works by the actual meaning of 'derive' in the dictionary, the baffling surprise use has caught us all of guard!"

"Yes, that's the ticket! Let this be a lesson to spel check in the future!

Hahaha! You had me on the floor, Justin; that was hilarious. smile I'm certainly not above a good-natured ribbing, and I'll admit that was deserved. Blame my adherence to Grammar Nazism on being an English major. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    "Grammer" was intentional, the rest is an call signal to have myself attacked. Speaking of which...

"It's a bird!"
    "It's a plane!"
    "It's a huge Toblerone!"

"Hello, fellow posters!"

"Yes, that's the ticket! Let this be a lesson to spel check in the future!

Aweful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin That was grate!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012
    ..Black Gold is really an amazing, sweeping score as i expected to be after i heard the samples!!It totally transports me back in time...James Horner rarely disappoints me, and the piano is exceptionally sweet in this one!Anyone has heard it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7437/.f

Black Gold

Released. smile
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2012
    Nice subdued score... love the "Horizon to horizon" track.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012
    Does anyone have any new informations about Horners involvement in "Amazing Spider-Man" and a possible release of "Cristiada"?

There's still no official announcement of any composer for "Amazing Spider-Man" yet (if I'm not mistaken) and "cristiada" seems to have gone into limbo for quite a while... I want new Horner material!! :-)

All best wishes and thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012 edited
    Basil, warn us long beforehand if there's ever gonna be a Horner concert be in Lucerne!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Basil, warn us long beforehand if there's ever gonna be a Horner concert be in Lucerne!

biggrin

...or did you mean just his music and somebody else conducting?
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Bregt wrote

There will be!!!
    No date set yet, but we already created two concert programs (one evening with "Adventures in Space" and one evening with "War, Love and Tragedy"). Now, we just try to really make that one happen and win Mr. Horner over to Lucerne...;-)

Stay tuned for up-dates! :-)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good luck with that.

Back in the late 90's Horner was going to do some TITANIC concerts and it never happened and that was while the iron was hot.