• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Well, I wouldn't want this forum to turn into a musicologist symposion. This is my hobby and if I learn something along the way that's fine but that's not my goal really. I do enough analysing in other places, I don't need no analyse to dead music I listen to for the pure fun of it.
    A nice little argument like we had recently about "Smaug" is nice and doesn't harm anyone.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    (though if I may, I sometimes wish you put your musical expertise to a bigger use on this board, D. I'd love to hear, from a musical standpoint, why do you love some scores and why you hate some I might for example like, it's not about having an argument, to me it would be a huge learning experience simply). Still it would be great to hear the "why" sometimes smile .

This is what I've been wanting more of from D for years and years. For example I wouldn't mind if he criticized the Hobbit if he would write Pawel-sized monologues explaining the issues he has with it, in full musical detail.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2014 edited
    I am afraid i don't have the time to write essays that over-analyze scores to death in a public forum (and also bear in mind that these usually don't interest most people; they would fall into the tl:dr category like what happens most of the times with this kind of posts). If it's a score has some magnificent arrangments and great use of themes / instruments, then it should automatically speak for itself and its audience, especially when it also works wonders in the film it accompanies. If a score is sparse and uninteresting, filled with countless moments of generic underscore and most importantly doesn't help the movie like it could, then we don't need 10-page essays to convince us otherwise wink

Maybe when i am a pensioner.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2014
    Speaking of gay things, this is fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wait until the 20 second mark...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cheers Steve, that actually made me LOL biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2014 edited
    hahahahah awesome! Almost as good as the most awesome orchestral performance of all times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Never fails to make me laugh that one. biggrin
  2. Demetris wrote
    hahahahah awesome! Almost as good as the most awesome orchestral performance of all times.

OMG, hilariously painful shocked biggrin shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Demetris wrote

I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Epic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2014
    Yeah, it's funny, but most people tend to forget it actually has its origin as a performance art project, in other words with the INTENSION to sound like that -- called the Portsmouth Sinfonia. As Wiki says:

"The Portsmouth Sinfonia was an orchestra founded by a group of students at the Portsmouth School of Art in England, in 1970. The Sinfonia had an unusual entrance requirement, in that players had to either be non-musicians, or if a musician, play an instrument that was entirely new to them.[1] Among the founding members was one of their teachers, English composer Gavin Bryars. The orchestra started as a one-off, tongue-in-cheek performance art ensemble but became a cultural phenomenon over the following ten years, with concerts, record albums, a film and a hit single. They last performed publicly in 1979.[2]"

Sorry for taking the butt out of the joke, as they say.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, but it's still funny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It is. I actually like a lot of absurd performance art like that. Funny and interesting at the same time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It doesn't change the fact that they are horrible, utterly ridiculous and funny, even if they intended it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2014 edited
    It's a bit like other modern artistic expressions (in visual arts, for example) that try to 'provoke' or at least turn our perceptions upside-down. It's a cool experiment, I think.
    I am extremely serious.

4. TITANIC LIVE
    Monday 27 April 2015 - 7:00 PM

James Horner's epic score to 1997 blockbuster Titanic will be brought to life like never before in the world premiere of Titanic Live.

Titanic, written and produced by James Cameron, became one of the most successful films of all time, grossing over $2 billion at the box office and winning 11 Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director and more importantly, Best Original Song and Dramatic Score.

Titanic Live will see James Horner himself conduct a 90-piece orchestra, choir and Celtic musicians whilst the film is projected on the big screen in stunning high definition.

This world premiere event promises to be the live cinematic event of the year, re-creating the uniquely familiar soundtrack which will forever be a part of cinematic history.

http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/ … fault.aspx
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014
    This is the proposed concert from many years ago.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. More re-use of old ideas. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sigh. This is very nice and all but I wish he'd do a "proper" concert.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Yeah! All the Titanic fans will be there, what are they called anyway? Titanickers? Sea-dodgers? Ice-butters?...

We want Star Treks and Krull and Brainstorm and Braveheart and Apollo 13 and Aliens and Avatar and...........
  6. ... and Titanic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    ... and Titanic.

Yes. The good bits! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote

Yeah, something a la the Vienna concert. Maybe that experience 'thawed' him somewhat to public appearances, which is why he's doing this now...and maybe a more proper concert down the road.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    ... and Titanic.

Yes. The good bits! wink

I love and adore that score from start to finish. IMO one of Horner's finest.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like it a lot too. Minus the song and the Enya bits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

Yeah, something a la the Vienna concert. Maybe that experience 'thawed' him somewhat to public appearances, which is why he's doing this now...and maybe a more proper concert down the road.

I hope so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote

I like the Enya bits too. AND the song....but not Celine Dion's whiney voice.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

I like the Enya bits too. AND the song....but not Celine Dion's whiney voice.

Du sagst es.
  9. Southall wrote

This year, he has two classical pieces yet to premiere. One for 4 horns and the other is for violin and cello.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I hope they come to fruition (the violin and cello one has already been delayed by over a year, hasn't it?)