• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2014
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Another new score for Horner, The 33, about the Chilean miners who were trapped underground. Already recorded according to post at FSM. Film stars Antonio Banderas and comes out next year.

Jesus, what an unappealing concept for a film. Can't imagine there will be much room for the score to breath.

Unappealing? You're weird.

Fuck off.
  1. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Hoping Horner can recapture the tension of "Going After Newt" for this one.

I like your optimism biggrin

It'll be a cross between The Missing, For Greater Glory and Apocalypto, it's main theme played on pan pipes.

You're right of course. The pan pipes will obviously be used to represent the tunnels and route through which the miners were rescued.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2014
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Another new score for Horner, The 33, about the Chilean miners who were trapped underground. Already recorded according to post at FSM. Film stars Antonio Banderas and comes out next year.

Jesus, what an unappealing concept for a film. Can't imagine there will be much room for the score to breath.

Unappealing? You're weird.

I think it's a story that is practically MADE to be an exciting film.

Looking forward to it and whatever Horner can create.

I think it could be a great film too. Not sure it offers much opportunity to a composer, but we'll see. If he's done an overly emotional one then it will probably be rejected after the focus groups watch the film!
  2. Has he been replaced yet?

I'm just askin'.

tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2014
    Of course he has, he's been replaced by Henry Jackman.
  3. Has Jackman been replaced yet?

I'm just askin'.

It's a fuckin' baseline!!!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He's no longer attached to the project, they're getting Coldplay to write the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Banderas? When will he retire ffsk?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What's wrong with Banderas D? Why should he retire??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Some more information.

Apparently it's going to be a chamber-like score with strings, woodwinds, and guitar. No big orchestral flourish. I don't care though. Horner is making a comeback. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2014
    Article/interview about his new piece for cello, violin and orchestra, Pas de Deux, which premieres this week:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on … nd-8079697
  5. Early review about James Horner’s Pas De Deux which premiered last night in Liverpool.

From The Liverpool Echo:

“Getting away from being image-driven, Horner has produced a lilting, luxuriant pastorale, intertwining the soloists, in mainly relaxed manner, against an orchestral accompaniment reminiscent of Vaughan Williams.

The early mood is slow-moving and quite hypnotic, until a pivotal, percussive crash, which ups the tempo into a sound world which becomes brash and 'filmy' given that there are two pianos and no fewer than seven horns.

At this point, the score just avoids vulgarity by adopting a topping which, again with retrospection, harkens back to the world of Respighi's Pines of Rome.

Alas, for a work of 27 minutes, there is not really sufficient modulation or development.

Never the less, I'm sure there will be more mileage here than for so many contemporary pieces, all to readily forgotten.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on … re-8107868
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2014
    'But it's the music wot matters'....'all to readily forgotten'....'Star Trek 11 and 111'...

Doesn't anyone edit or proofread this stuff?!
  6. Jim Ware wrote
    Doesn't anyone edit or proofread this stuff?!

Mate, it's Liverpool. I'm surprised they can even write at all.... shocked

*ducks for cover*
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sounds wonderful! Classic Horner!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    :like:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yahoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    This is already my second favourite James Horner score about a dog.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2014

If that's Horner's new theme then I'm in love. love Doesn't sound like any melody that he has ever composed before.

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. ^^ Maybe a hint of The Amazing Spider-Man but not enough to get worked up over.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2014 edited
    Well, except for the more textural opening, I think the bold brass statement sounds very much like him. Which is excellent news!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2014 edited
    Possibly a new project: Southpaw
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1798684/

JHFM:This next year for us is a great period, because of Wolf Totem, The 33, Aviation, Pas de Deux. After two years of silence, it's great. Thank you very much.
    JH: Then, I'm starting another film in a world I know nothing about. About a boxer, an American boxer. This is a story of a boxer who is right at the top of his career, then he loses everything, including his daughter. Then he has to get his daughter back, and make his way back… and it's just a movie I've never done before. I thought it would be really challenging again. It'll be really edgy, but it will be very simple. No big orchestras.
    [Editor’s Note: from James’s description, this matches exactly the synopsis for the forthcoming Antoine Fuqua film, Southpaw. In a September 2014 interview with Film Music Magazine , Harry Gregson Williams stated he would compose the score to this film. At the time we’re publishing our conversation with James Horner, the Gorfaine Schwartz Agency, which represents both Gregson-Williams and Horner as clients, declined to officially confirm whether either of the two was assigned to the project.]

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/conver … es-horner/
  8. One correction: HG-W's said he had already started writing the score, not that he would compose it.

Could this be a first? Horner replacing a possibly recorded Zimmer-ite score?
  9. Nope. Horner replaced Atli Orvarsson on Karate Kid.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. Oh yeah, I forgot. Maybe I should check my own website!
  11. Orvarsson's score was written, though not sure if it was recorded. I was actually sent a couple of cues by someone and while I like Orvarsson (I think he's one of the best in the group and you could consider listening to some of his stuff, especially choral, due to your interest in Mike Post, for whom Orvarsson was initially an assistant), it wasn't really that great.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website