• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2015
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Between Southall's new avatar (is that from Tintin???)

You know what? It's been driving me BATTY!
    It's either Tintin, or Bob and Bobette when artist Vandersteen used the Clear Line style...but I CANNOT for the life of me find the actual reference material.
    And I KNOW I've seen that picture a thousand times!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2015 edited
    James Horner is apparently coming to a concert of his own music in Stavanger, Norway -- on May 13, according to a thread at FSM. I would put down the $125 cost of travelling back and forth in a heartbeat if it hadn't been for that fact that I'm leaving for Lisbon the next day. DAMN!! Stuff like this almost never happens in Norway.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. He clearly wanted to meet Thor. Let's be honest here.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2015 edited
    We've already met!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. So since he needed it twice.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2015
    New Horner releases:

Southpaw (Sony Classical), July 27th 2015
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Southpaw-Origin … s=Southpaw

Pas de Deux (Mercury), May 25th 2015
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/James-Horner-Ma … mes+Horner

Bring 'em on!
  3. Brilliant, just ordered both. Just listened to 'Wolf Totem' again this weekend, Horner at the top of his game, eager to hear any and all new material he produces.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2015
    Horner is in Norway right now, I think, for the concert in Stavanger on Wednesday. It sucks that I'm not able to be there.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I'd always wondered why The incredibly fruitful collaboration between Ron Howard and Horner stopped dead in it's tracks and there's a very interesting quote from Horner in the new issue of Empire magazine about working on 'The Missing':

"Ron wanted to do something that the movie didn't do. The story wasn't spun right. It was too safe, not gritty enough. I could never solve that problem for him and told him I couldn't. I think he resented it. We went on separate paths."

A typically candid Horner quote, he certainly seems to stick to his guns!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015
    Ah. I wondered why that relationship ended. I wish it hadn't.

I did notice that Howard did a couple of tweets not long ago about Horner (I think one was very complimentary about Pas de Deux) and I saw a cryptic comment from Jeff Bond on Facebook that Horner is shortly going to be working with a director who had inspired some of his best works in the past, which did make me wonder if they're going to be doing something together again (Howard's making the new Dan Brown film at the moment which will presumably be Zimmer, so probably not - but I can't think who else said director might be - Ed Zwick?)
  5. Ed Zwick seems like a natural candidate for that, but it could also be Joe Johnston (Honey I Shrunk the Kids, The Rocketeer, The Pagemaster and Jumanji - only one of which I'd call a "best work" from Horner, but still).

I'm trying to think of other active directors who have worked with Horner in the past, but don't anymore...Michael Apted? It would take a fairly kind soul to call Gorky Park, Thunderheart and Class Action some of Horner's best works, though. Plus a shame if Apted were to not haul David Arnold out of retirement.

Course, it doesn't have to be a director who isn't currently working with Horner. Could just be a reference to the Avatar sequel(s). Or maybe Jean-Jacques Annaud has another film in the pipeline. Plenty of options.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015
    Mel Gibson is directing a new film?
  6. Southall wrote
    Ah. I wondered why that relationship ended. I wish it hadn't.

I did notice that Howard did a couple of tweets not long ago about Horner (I think one was very complimentary about Pas de Deux) and I saw a cryptic comment from Jeff Bond on Facebook that Horner is shortly going to be working with a director who had inspired some of his best works in the past, which did make me wonder if they're going to be doing something together again (Howard's making the new Dan Brown film at the moment which will presumably be Zimmer, so probably not - but I can't think who else said director might be - Ed Zwick?)

Zimmer is confirmed for... it's Inferno, isn't it?

Also, as far as my understanding goes, the collaboration fell apart after Horner quit Cinderella Man, when the film was postponed due to Russell Crowe's injury. From what I've heard after Horner quit the film, "they never spoke again".
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Sucks about Horner and Howard breaking up. Together they produced two of the best works of their careers - A Beautiful Mind and Apollo 13.
  8. Plane registered to Horner crashes:
    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/06/ … a-barbara/
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015 edited
    Justin got there before me...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. justin boggan wrote
    Plane registered to Horner crashes:
    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/06/ … a-barbara/

Here's hoping I don't waken up tomorrow and hearing the worst.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. The pilot was killed. According to the article:

It was not immediately clear whether or not the pilot was Horner himself.

This doesn't sound good...
  11. I agree that it doesn't look good at all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015
    Oh jeez!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. A couple of unofficial sites that I wouldn't necessarily rely on are saying Horner is dead. At the moment I'm going to hope somebody simply re-interpreted the news articles.
  13. justin boggan wrote
    A couple of unofficial sites that I wouldn't necessarily rely on are saying Horner is dead. At the moment I'm going to hope somebody simply re-interpreted the news articles.

I'm hoping that the news in the morning isn't going to be as bad it could potentially be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    There is no way this is ending in good news for film music fans.

And if we did lose Horner today at least he went doing something that he loved.

sad

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  14. It doesn't look good. Somebody said out of respect they aren't releasign the name of the pilot and would be notifying the next of kin, but that would only be if it were Horner, otherwise his agency would have given the film music world a sigh of relief (and say out of respect they can't say who was flying it), Horner's friends or people he's worked with would have gone to Twitter or Facebook or what ever and told us he was okay. The silence is giving me a bad feeling.
  15. Godawful news: posted by theOzman (he does the art for LLLR):

I[t] was him. His assistant just confirmed it. :-(

Read it on agent Richard Kraft's FB page as it was relayed from Belinda Broughton who knows Horner's assistant.

He was alone in the plane.

EDIT:
    Composer Jeremy Soule is also saying it was Horner.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015 edited
    There are a lot of people here who'll be waking to bad news.

FFS!!!!! angry sad

Death? Pah!!!

To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I'm in shock.
  16. From Horner's assistant via Facebook:

A great tragedy has struck my family today, and I will not be around for a while. I would like some privacy and time to heal. We have lost an amazing person with a huge heart, and unbelievable talent. He died doing what he loved. Thank you for all your support and love and see you down the road. Love Sylvia.