• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015
    sad
  1. this is terrible. can't believe it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. What a loss. 61 is far, far too soon, especially for someone who had given so much to the world and would have given so much more. Just devastating.
  3. Until I get clear confirmation, then he's still alive in my book. angry
  4. Yahoo News is reporting that he was the pilot. By now we all knew it anyway, but they're the first news outlet I've seen to confirm it. Film music will never be the same.
  5. Hey long time no see, I decided to pass by here because one of my heroes has died...
    I'm at a loss for words, except that he has been with me since my childhood, his music has touched my soul and I can't believe we won't hear anything new from him again.

On my way to work I put on a sort of best of compilation of the man, and when Star Trek II came on, it finally hit me. Mr. Nimoy, mr. Horner. Who knew 2015 would turn out like this?

It's unfathomable ! sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Hey long time no see, I decided to pass by here because one of my heroes has died...
    I'm at a loss for words, except that he has been with me since my childhood, his music has touched my soul and I can't believe we won't hear anything new from him again.

On my way to work I put on a sort of best of compilation of the man, and when Star Trek II came on, it finally hit me. Mr. Nimoy, mr. Horner. Who knew 2015 would turn out like this?

It's unfathomable ! sad

considering the state of most of today's music is in, his loss will definitely feel even larger
    he was one of the few constant quality musicians these last couple of years

damn damn damn, I will mis musical voice sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. And I was just going to comment on how Titanic is still engaging after all these years...
  8. James Horner's music will always be central to one of my favourite moments of home life.

When she was young (and before things like this became "uncool") Rachel was learning to play the cornet at school. She was keen on the instrument and, although she was quite shy, her shyness seemed to fall away when she played the cornet. So much so that she could play on stage, as a solo performer in front of an audience.

On one occasion she was practising in her room and we could hear her playing the melody of "My Heart Will Go On", a tune composed by James Horner for his score for Titanic (as you all know!) It was beautiful to hear someone in the family playing film music live in the house. It certainly brought a tear to the eye that day.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015
  9. Well written James. The love of the music really comes through.

With all that's been written by Horner over the years, I feel bad that -- ever hungry for the next thing -- I thought about those three AVATAR sequels and how it would have been nice to see him execute a vision on such a grand scale. But that's just foolishness, there are so many hours to listen to.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  10. I wrote on Facebook, I also wrote an in memoriam for a Polish site (not my own)... and still...

While in the morning (when I found out) I had the time just to play through a selection of his themes on my keyboard, then it was In Country, The New World and bits of Wolf Totem.

We lost a master and a huge personality and influence. I can't say much more. I'll miss him, even if I could be cruel about some of his remarks or a score (a particular one).... An unsung master....

It really hits hard.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. Sissel, vocalist on "Titanic" and the rejected "Romeo & Juliet" score, posted today on Facebook this:

It’s with great sadness I was informed that my dear friend James Horner passed away in a tragic airplane crash on Monday. Only a few weeks ago we were on stage together in Royal Albert Hall. It’s just unbelievable that he is gone and it’s a great loss for everyone who loves music – his wonderful music will live forever. My deepest thoughts goes to James’ family and loved ones. - S
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2015
    Southall wrote
    My thoughts on James Horner and what he meant to me:
    http://www.movie-wave.net/james-horner- … only-love/

You're a fine wordsmith James, I wish I were able to put my thoughts and feelings across so succinctly, almost everything you said resonates.

Unlike my favourites Barry, Williams, Goldsmith and Morricone who were all well established before I "discovered" them, I was there back in the day and able to follow the growth and maturity of James Horner from when his name meant very little. It was an honour and a priviledge but now it's a deep hurt that we'll all be deprived of what could have been many more years of fine music to come.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2015
    So true Tim.
    Beautiful words and thoughts being posted here and other places that reveal the huge impact James Horner has had on us all.
  12. It is with a heavy heart that Synchrotones remembers James Horner - http://wp.me/p3hOx4-KG
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  13. Thanks Pete. Fine words and thoughts.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHumaid
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2015 edited
    I really want to dedicate time this summer to those Horner scores that I never got the chance to thoroughly explore such as Searching for Bobby Fischer, Balto, and An American Tail. I was going to start with the latter tonight but strangely the iTunes store says purchase of this item is not currently available.

I hope a James Horner memorial concert takes place sometime before the end of the year. Conrad Pope on his FB page shares a post by composer Robert Folk pushing for this to happen.
    https://www.facebook.com/conrad.pope?fref=ts
  14. I saw that. That would be excellent. If it were held on a night I could attend, I think I would go for it. LA is only about a 5 hour drive from where I live.
  15. Was very shocked to hear Horner had died, and like many others, just started sorting through what i have to relisten to. For no apparent reason, i really enjoy TROY more than most of his other stuff. I think i listened to ALIENS about 4,000 times in the last 20 years, too. GLORY is immense. And once i follow these thoughts i realise how much great stuff i enjoyed. i remember hearing and loving the crashing pianos in APOLLO 13 and being really surprised that is was allowed. An odd thought that always stayed with me that i had "is that allowed?" I guess because it was so unexpected to me.
  16. Just ordered FIELD OF DREAMS, AN AMERICAN TAIL and PAS DE DEUX.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2015
    Glad to see I'm not the only one going bonkers with new Horner acquisitions. I bought 10 albums yesterday...now I need to relax and order more down the road. Still dozens of albums I need.
    I am extremely serious.
  17. I did, too, though I posted my 7 purchases over in the recent purchases thread. I was suddenly afraid that some of his out of print scores that aren't too hard to find right now would become rare because everyone is doing what we are doing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2015
    Fortunately for me, I hardly ever buy CD's anymore. It's all downloads (except for Williams, Elfman etc. where I need to have them for completism's sake).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Speaking of which -- how many Horners do you have in your collection (no need to list them; a number would suffice)?

At the moment, I (only) have 8 physical CDs. Had loads more in the past, but traded or sold them over the years, which I now somewhat regret. I also have 38 additional albums in file format, making it a total of 46. And yet, there are still so many, many more I need -- even classics.
    I am extremely serious.
  18. Thor wrote
    Speaking of which -- how many Horners do you have in your collection (no need to list them; a number would suffice)?

Sixty-seven, excluding multiple versions of same titles, extending from Battle Beyond The Stars up to Wolf Totem.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  19. 26 in a collection of 974. Aliens ... Troy. 3 more are ordered. All physical.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Thor wrote

97 physical albums. Hope to complete my collection some day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO's four-part tribute to James Horner is now on-line.

Enjoy!

-Erik-

PS - I have 157 Horner OST's and related albums
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    I only have 20 CDs of his, but I just ordered another 5, including Wolf Totem. The first one I bought was Braveheart, which I rank as his best work. Still think he got robbed for that Oscar back in ´96. Who even remembers a single line of music from Il Postino??? sad