• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Wonderful review, James. This was a really tricky one. It would have been too easy to let emotion cloud your judgment in either direction (it's Horner's last score, it must be wonderful; or, it's Horner's last score and this is all we get?). Ultimately I think you reached the right conclusion. It's a decent score with some really fine moments, but it could never be the swansong we all hoped for, and it was unreasonable to expect it to be.
  2. I'm surprised most people seem to be so lukewarm on it. I'm on my 6th listen and I've gotten to the point where it's just background music and i'm not even actively thinking about it as a Horner score, and yet it keeps getting more and more addictive. I can't think of a single score I've enjoyed as much all summer, save maybe Jungle Book at the very beginning. Parts of Light Between Oceans are better but as ever with Desplat, very up and down listening experience.
  3. Interesting that many of my colleagues say that Mag7 was difficult to review. For me it was one of the easiest in a looong time.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2016 edited
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    If anyone is interested who loves Avatar, try to track down the Deluxe 2CD Edition of Avatar by SonicAdventure. Available in a certain location (PM if you do not understand and wish to). It's a properly mastered (i.e. sound quality) and arranged (i.e. combining the tracks into album-friendly order and length) reworking of the promo that came out a few years ago. It's one of the few times that listening to a complete release is actually more rewarding than listening to the original proper release, and it includes some of the most magical parts of the score which were somehow withheld from the original release. With long, suite-like tracks reminiscent of the classic official Horner albums of yore, it's quite possibly the very best fan-edited release I've ever heard.

I've heard a couple of Sonic Adventures' re-edit and while he bitches a lot about the sound of the original album he is 'restoring' I find a lot of his remixes to be worse than what is available. But I guess I should expect such work from a guy who thinks Attack of the Clones is one of the best sounding albums of all time.

So yeah... no thanks!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2016
    Erik Woods wrote
    Attack of the Class bed

...what? uhm
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2016
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Attack of the Class bed

...what? uhm

iPhone auto correct! Sorry.

-Erik
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    I've heard a couple of Sonic Adventures' re-edit and while he bitches a lot about the sound of the original album he is 'restoring' I find a lot of his remixes to be worse than what is available. But I guess I should expect such work from a guy who thinks Attack of the Clones is one of the best sounding albums of all time.

*shrug* I've never thought about the quality of the Star Wars prequel scores but I find his remasterings to be phenomenal. I guess it's just different tastes. As well as different physical ears...I have odd hearing problems where certain frequencies literally hurt my brain whereas others are directly pleasurable, and his opinion of what makes a good recording seems to line up pretty well with my ears. Not claiming that means they're actually superior of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2016
  5. Great review, James, that I wholeheartedly agree with.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2016 edited
    Listening to the clips for Horner's Living In The Age of Airplanes, I am quite looking forward to hearing this in full.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Airplan … mp;sr=1-36

"History of Transportation" sounds like a potential favourite.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2016
    A lot of that does not sound like Horner... dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2016
    Why isn't your review series called "James on James"?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2016
    I finally got to watch the Horner Blu Ray last night. What a thing of beauty. That Avatar suite is just spine tingling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Absolutely! I watched my Blu Ray last week. What an amazing, emotional event!
    And I believe you were there on the night James, yes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I was indeed. Such a memorable night.

Very pleased that the orchestral performance was as good as it seemed at the time. Sometimes these things seem better when you're swept up in them at the time than they do when you hear them back later, but this was great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2016
  6. Review of Living In The Age of Airplanes
    https://synchrotones.wordpress.com/2016 … es-horner/
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2017
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2017
    Well said. Tense, taut and interesting are apt descriptions. Some of it reminds me of Giacchino's Lost music, although that may be partly due to being released around that time and having it on my mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2017
    London concert on 24 October:

http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/ … -in-music/

Potentially three trips to London in two weeks with this, Giacchino and JNH...
  7. Oooh, interesting, very interesting indeed...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The Horner looks good, but the blurb is a bit off. It says "WITH VERY SPECIAL GUESTS", and then proceeds to say "This very special evening will also feature exclusive on-screen commentary from James Cameron, Mel Gibson, Jon Landau, Ron Howard and Sir Richard Eyre." So not quite guests, eh?
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    The Horner looks good, but the blurb is a bit off. It says "WITH VERY SPECIAL GUESTS", and then proceeds to say "This very special evening will also feature exclusive on-screen commentary from James Cameron, Mel Gibson, Jon Landau, Ron Howard and Sir Richard Eyre." So not quite guests, eh?

You're assuming that the two are connected.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2017
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2017
    Great review James.

Speaking of Horner, who else loves the cue, "Hunting the Wolves" from WOLF TOTEM? I thought it was astonishingly brilliant
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  9. That is a great cue. Nice review, James. I always enjoy your reviews, and the Horner retrospectives are particularly enjoyable for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2017
    I've been really enjoying COLLAGE.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.