• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2017 edited
    Aidabaida wrote
    I've been really enjoying COLLAGE.

The suite or the whole album? Being his last official release it's the best collection of Horner music I could've wished for. Much better than his last few scores, except for For Greater Glory, which I find tremendous.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2017
    DreamTheater wrote

The suite or the whole album? Being his last official release it's the best collection of Horner music I could've wished for. Much better than his last few scores, except for For Greater Glory, which I find tremendous.

All of it, especially the Aliens suite, which is incredibly played.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  1. Yep... I love that too. And to be honest it's a breath of fresh air being primarily action, after mostly mellow stuff.

I do wonder where part 2 is to be found.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

No love for WOLF TOTEM? I think that's the best Horner score post-AVATAR.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

absolutely agree, love the main theme, so much passion and melodic beauty in it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

Wolf Totem I've heard a couple of times but it just doesn't grab me, apart from the finale cue that's also on Collage.

FGG did so much more for me, and while it may be too long as an album for you, it's the grand emotional Horner I remember from the 90s. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I haven't heard that yet. I'll check it out in due time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

Wolf Totem I've heard a couple of times but it just doesn't grab me, apart from the finale cue that's also on Collage.

FGG did so much more for me, and while it may be too long as an album for you, it's the grand emotional Horner I remember from the 90s. smile

Wolf Totem's the grand emotional Horner from the 90s too, really - it's my favourite post-Avatar score from him, so I'd give it another go if I were you.

On For Greater Glory - it was (deservedly) noted as being a collection of stuff from other Horner scores when it came out, but I've come to love it more and more as the years have gone by. Sounds genuinely epic and that theme from Four Feathers sounds even better in FGG. It's probably a close second to Wolf Totem in the post-Avatar stakes.

I've also come to really love The 33 - different, but he gets the emotion spot-on, as ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    I like Wolf Totem, but it turns into a bit of a slog if you try to listen to the whole album. Almost every cue has the same emotional, lamenting tone.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  3. I like WOLF TOTEM more than AVATAR. It's like this wonderful throw-back gift that he gave us right before we lost him. There's just so much there to enjoy.

FOR GREATER GLORY, however, does not a lot for me. It's got loads of Hornerisms, of course, so it's lovely, but "Cristeros" is the only track from it that I play with any frequency. And the Spanish lyrics are ridiculous - not that they're in Spanish, of course, but the words themselves are just awful. Spanish is my second language, so I can't not hear those dumb lyrics every time. I think that if I could turn my brain off and just listen to the voice and the melody it would be nice. But I can't.
  4. What are the lyrics again? I think Filmtracks' Craig Lysy adores the lyrics, actually.

To me Cristiada is where the self-quotations crossed a line. I did mind the Four Feathers theme, but Southall mentioned how the Braveheart lift in All the King's Men is not really forgivable. I find the Braveheart lift here even worse. Because the music from a rousing freedom speech is reappropriated for... a rousing freedom speech. I know the director wanted to work with Horner because he loved Braveheart, but it made the scene ridiculous to me.

At first I found the score boring, so the game of "where's that from" was the only thing that got me through the first listen of an arduously long album.

Wolf Totem I love.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. The lyrics are really bad and I don't even speak Spanish. The emphasis is always on the wrong syllable, stuff like that.

But it's still my favorite post-Avatar Horner. The fact that it has three interplaying themes (regardless of origin) vs. the single theme of Wolf Totem gives it the edge for me.
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The lyrics are really bad and I don't even speak Spanish.

dizzy
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2017
    wolf totem, man it's beautiful. go listen to it if you haven't already. his last truly emotional , beautiful score.
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    What are the lyrics again? I think Filmtracks' Craig Lysy adores the lyrics, actually.

To me Cristiada is where the self-quotations crossed a line. I did mind the Four Feathers theme, but Southall mentioned how the Braveheart lift in All the King's Men is not really forgivable. I find the Braveheart lift here even worse. Because the music from a rousing freedom speech is reappropriated for... a rousing freedom speech. I know the director wanted to work with Horner because he loved Braveheart, but it made the scene ridiculous to me.

At first I found the score boring, so the game of "where's that from" was the only thing that got me through the first listen of an arduously long album.

Wolf Totem I love.

His self-referencing has never been truly bothersome for me if the rest of the material is great to begin with. So the 'Sons of Scotland' speech in For Greater Glory: I overlook this one tiny flaw, because I adore everything else.

He has repeatedly said in interviews that he never listened to his earlier written scores. Once he was done with one, he moved on to the next, 'forgetting' what he had done before. I take it he has forgotten quite a lot over the years... And 1995-2012, well it's easy to forget about a theme written 17 years earlier I guess, especially as he got older.
  8. I never believed that claim from Horner. I mean come on...as excuses go for self-plagiarism that's pretty weak.
  9. In some scores Horner took it a bit far, IMO. But in general "self plagiarism" doesn't bother me much, especially given the time restrictions when scoring a film. Also composers are booked to deliver a certain musical idiom. Apart from that even classic symphonists have been known to re-use their themes. (Or those of others.)

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2017
    It never bothered me in the slightest.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I'm not saying it bothers me, but I have a hard time believing Horner could "accidentally" write the exact same piece, two decades later, for a very similar scene, without knowing what he was doing. Unless he was somewhere on the spectrum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh, he knew what he was doing, no doubt. But it still doesn't bother me. I'm also one of the few who appreciated his 'danger motif'. A sort of academic, "meta" way to say how dangerous situations are similar across genres. A signature move that I find charming more than distracting.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. I can take the danger motif, I actually downright LIKE it in Enemy at the Gates as it creates yet another dissonant layer in what's trying to make a bleak oppressive atmosphere that ironically probably is way closer to the real Stalingrad than the movie ever shows.

But when Horner pulled out that Braveheart theme out in For Greater Glory what I found mildly amusing on album, in the movie it made me actually laugh at the scene itself and I felt like Horner showed me the finger that way.

It's the only Horner score where I found the self-references to almost downright insult the fan in me.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That Horner quote was a bit of PR fluff but he did give a truthful answer about it, once, which I'll search for later. He said something about his scores all being parts of a larger quilt and inevitably he would solve problems the same way in different films because he was seeing each score as being part of a grand overall body of work. Or something like that. Sounds pretentious I know but it explains what he was doing.
  12. Yeah, that's the explanation I'm more inclined to believe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2017
    I don't mind the self-plagiarisms at all. I'd take his heartfelt, properly-structured and full of themes melodic scores over the majority of today's noise-crap the similar-scale-of-production films are getting as scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2017 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's the only Horner score where I found the self-references to almost downright insult the fan in me.

Did you see The Boy in the Striped Pajama's? For me, that insulting moment came when he used the danger motif during the funeral. That was just... weird. And inappropriate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2017
  13. I'm just waiting to leave on a ferry on Lake Victoria and the music they play with the safety video is 'Titanic', slightly ominous... I suppose the risk of icebergs is low though!
  14. biggrin Ha! That's a nice score, but that seems like a really inappropriate time to play it biggrin
  15. lol

I can only imagine the video editor was having a bit of a laugh.
  16. Troy expanded (Intrada)

This does NOT feature the Yared masterpiece. No surprises there...

... but I didn't see this release coming at all. And I have to say it's not one that I will be ordering (now or in the future), even if I find the score album I have is decent and enjoyable enough for me, despite it being a competent rush job replacing a far superior score.

Anyone here interested in picking this up?