• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2021
    I tried his Avatar music awhile back. Did absolutely nothing for me. It's like it's Horner, but with all the spirit, finesse and sophistication pulled out of it. It just sits there without doing anything.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yeah, I agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2021 edited
    The only one that showed some promise to me of his work was his music for Malick's VOYAGE OF TIME (loved the film, that might have helped), but even that was underwhelming.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I didn’t even realize Voyage of Time had original music until just now! Loved it as well (though not unconditionally) but thought it was all Bach and Arvo Pärt. Looked into it and seems he and Hanan Townshend did additional music, but without a soundtrack release, how do you know which of the pieces is by Franglen and which is Townshend?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I just subtracted what I recognized as existing pieces. And picked up on what felt like original score. But which were Townshend and which were Franglen, I'm not sure about. Townshend is in a whole other league, IMO. He's done some great work for Malick and others (especially TO THE WONDER, of course).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yes, To The Wonder is gorgeous, especially Marina’s Theme. Though I’ve never fully enjoyed a full score of his, it’s all standalone pieces that I like.
  1. BobdH wrote
    So it was just announced that Simon Franglen will be scoring the Avatar films, because of his tight involvement in the scoring process with Horner on the original Avatar.

Big assignment for him! He has some huge shoes to fill, not to mention scoring several huge blockbuster films while he doesn’t have the most experience of singlehandedly scoring big studio films (I believe The Magnificant Seven was the only one, and that was composed on the basis of Horner’s themes). He also scored the World of Avatar attraction at the Disney theme park. At the very least this tells us James Cameron wants to stay as close to Horner’s musical score as possible.

This seems to be a big crossroads moment for Franglen, something that could make or break his career.

This is a huge disappointment for me. I fear it's gonna fail miserably. It's gonna be like David Arnold getting replaced on the Emmerich films, and those 2 stepping in and bringing nothing but mediocre but serviceable music.

Silvestri would have been the way to go, not the least for his work on The Abyss.

you can never copy someone else, so you got to try to bring in someone that can bring the same grandeur but with his own stylistic strengths. Listened to The Magnificent Seven and felt nothing about Horner there. So I'm afraid it's gonna be the same.

But hey, I had the same reaction with Shore on LOTR, so a guy can dream no?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yeah, I wouldn’t be that negative just yet. Who knows, maybe he surprises, he hasn’t been able to really show off his composition chops yet. And I’m personally quite happy they’re not going with Silvestri (as I’ve never been emotionally moved or wowed by any Silvestri yet).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Silvestri would perhaps have worked.....back in 2002. But not these days. JNH's consistent quality has dropped too, but he is the only -- and I mean ONLY -- composer alive today who would be able to capture Horner's ethereal/ethnic vibe with equal gusto and quality (especially when combined with orchestral forces). But that is now a moot point. I can only be disappointed in the confirmation of Franglen and at the very least hope for the best. The proof is always in the pudding.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Franglen is a perfect choice, IMO. He has already proven that he can adapt Horner's Pandora musical template with the music he wrote and arranged for Pandora at Walt Disney World.

Crafting a score by arranging existing Horner melodies for Mag 7 and make it sound like Horner scored it was nothing short of miraculous.

Franglen has also been dabbling recently in Chinese music and instrumentation for an art installation in the Shanghai Tower.

He also wrote a massive 90-minute symphonic oratorio "The Birth of Skies and Earth", which featured 76 musicians on stage, featuring a 90 piece orchestra, 80 voice choir, and six soloist singers.

Unfortunately, The Birth of Skies and Earth isn't available anywhere to hear but the Shanghai Tower music is right here https://soundcloud.com/user-516872971/s … ower-by-sf

And here is some of the recent production music that he wrote for KPM that gives you a taste of what he can do. https://open.spotify.com/album/7lbN8pKt … l_branch=1

Cameron has made a wise decision here to hire Franglen to continue Horner's Avatar legacy. Franglen has been working with Horner for decades. He has surrounded himself with other great talents over the years like Barry, Silvestri and Young. He worked closely on creating the "sound of Avatar" with Horner be crafting all of the wonderful electronic textures and colours that are unique to the Avatar musical landscape. Franglen knows this universe inside out and much like Shore with the Lord of the Rings, is willing to spend years crafting music for these follow-up films.

While Silvestri and Howard are brilliant and might very well have more talent than Franglen, I'd rather have someone who has been part of this universe since 2009 than someone coming in cold.

My two cents,

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Agree to disagree, I suppose. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Let's hope so Erik, nobody can replace Horner. So let's just hope they get the sound right. But if a composer gets time (like Horner got on Avatar) then who knows, maybe he can surprise me and everyone else. Franglen has the opportunity to score some of the biggest blockbusters of the next few years. If that doesn't inspire him, then nothing will.

So let's hope the Avatar sequels blow us all away. The Films and the music
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2021
    Review of STAR TREK II:

http://celluloidtunes.no/star-trek-ii-t … es-horner/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2021 edited
    Nice review. I certainly agree in most aspects. I too was disappointed by Goldsmith's absence, but I warmed up rather quickly to Horner's score, which may have a lot to do with the fact that the movie impressed me very much back then.

Thanks for sharing!
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2022 edited
    Quite unlike my usual reportoire, a review of one the greatest (albums) of all times:

A Beautiful Mind
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/a-bea … nd-review/

And yes, presumably the only release by Horner I will ever review for Maintitles.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2022
    In addition, read the review by Thomas.

http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/a-beautiful-mind/

No pun intended. He and I rarely share a similar option in terms of rating. Perhaps this is the only time Thomas and I have 'battled' in terms of a review of the same score.

I will send him a personal message and strongly feel he has to explain something in return in this very topic. Again, no pun intended.
  3. Joep wrote
    In addition, read the review by Thomas.

http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/a-beautiful-mind/

No pun intended. He and I rarely share a similar option in terms of rating. Perhaps this is the only time Thomas and I have 'battled' in terms of a review of the same score.

I will send him a personal message and strongly feel he has to explain something in return in this very topic. Again, no pun intended.

Hehe, this might be a score I would think differently about now, just for knowing it's been so long since I heard it. Good scores always age in time. Who knows
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2023
    And, how about now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2023
    I listened to the new DEADLY BLESSING CD, and I'm afraid my rather lukewarm reaction when I first had it (on a boot) years ago held up. I veer more towards late 80s-onwards Horner than early 80s Horner.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I have the bootleg but haven't listened to it in years. I don't know why - early 80s Horner is probably my favourite era of his.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2023
    Yeah, I know it is for a great many people. And it's not like I don't like those scores either. Love plenty of them myself. But for my own part, it's mostly from ALIENS onwards that I REALLY dig his work.
    I am extremely serious.