• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2008 edited
    Composer Joel McNeely really opens up about his past scores in this fantastic and insightful interview by the BSO Spirit.

http://www.bsospirit.com/entrevistas/joelmcneely_e.php

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. "Tinker Bell" (direct-to-DVD)
    Recorded.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. justin boggan wrote
    "Tinker Bell" (direct-to-DVD)
    Recorded.

oh common, give this guy a break. What a truly brilliant composer who serves up orchestral music that can rival John Williams at times, and this guy is stuck in the Disney house of crap.

Truly a shame sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2008
    Yeah but even there he tends to shine from time to time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    He does and I guess he enjoys doing them (and is well-compensated) but I do wish he was allowed to show off his talents elsewhere - particularly somewhere that might actually see his terrific music released!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I think his score to Mulan II had some quite nice moments. Nowhere as good as Jerry Goldsmith's score to the first movie, yes, but an enjoyable work nevertheless. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Yes, in fact I like McNeely's main theme for Mulan II better for its stronger use of ethnic instruments.
  3. he may be compensated for it, but any man wants to show his skills on the best and biggest projects, so McNeely will be no different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Hopefully he'll move onto better projects in the future wink
  4. DemonStar wrote

Even though it's awesome to see Horner attached to Avatar, Battle Angel should be awarded to McNeely smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Even though it's awesome to see Horner attached to Avatar, Battle Angel should be awarded to McNeely smile

Really, yeah!! beer
  5. I say give the guy another Star Wars related assignment and I'll be happy. What he did for Shadows of the Empire was nothing short of astounding. If there ever was a Williams replacement for the new trilogy he was it...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2008 edited
    Definitely not. I said it once and say it again: SotE was way too much. I´m not barking at the quality here, it was excellently done, but it was NEITHER a typical Star wars score (which is what I expect when I buy a CD that calls itself Star Wars) NOR in any way reminiscent of the story it was written for. Joel´s SotE was an opera, and the quoted music from Empire didn´t help, but was like a blinkin´ beacon in a stormy sea.
  6. Nevertheless the fanfares and themes, and even the quiet tracks are all splendid. Imperial City is brilliant in its slow buildup to something magical, Xizor's theme is how any villain theme should be: ominous yet thematic, and the finale is on par with the best Williams action cue. It's how I wished the Phantom Menace was scored. I get goosebumps from this album, the best he's ever done, but then I haven't heard much McNeely in my life.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. Simple fact is, McNeely deserves better
    Nuff said
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Recently, composer Joel McNeely recorded his score to the upcoming DisneyToon Studios computer-animated film Tinker Bell. Conducting an 88-piece orchestra at Sony, McNeely's score is large and sweeping, and ScoringSessions.com has the exclusive photos for you to enjoy!

http://www.scoringsessions.com/news/142/
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    dgoldwas wrote
    Recently, composer Joel McNeely recorded his score to the upcoming DisneyToon Studios computer-animated film Tinker Bell.

I cry for the guy, I really do.

Still, excellent photos and coverage as usual Dan!
  8. As I am hearing, Loreena Mc Kennitt will do a song and music for that as well, so obviously it won´t be that bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    Thanks Dan, nice one!

I want to hear that, it will surely be interesting to hear what he wrote; as long as it's not mickey mousing wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    dgoldwas wrote
    Recently, composer Joel McNeely recorded his score to the upcoming DisneyToon Studios computer-animated film Tinker Bell.

I cry for the guy, I really do.

Still, excellent photos and coverage as usual Dan!

edit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

edit

Shall I just assume it was a post adorning to my supreme intelligence and good looks?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

edit

Shall I just assume it was a post adorning to my supreme intelligence and good looks?

You know me too well! rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nice photos Dan! beer

Methinks McNeely's gonna deliver a nice one! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    DemonStar wrote
    Methinks McNeely's gonna deliver a nice one! biggrin

... which hopefully gets an official release with score tracks. Something like Peter Pan 2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    ...or at least a composer promo like Mulan 2 wink
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Erik Woods wrote
    Composer Joel McNeely really opens up about his past scores in this fantastic and insightful interview by the BSO Spirit.

http://www.bsospirit.com/entrevistas/joelmcneely_e.php

Enjoy!

-Erik-

wahtever happened to part 2
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    I prefer official soundtracks with their mastered sound quality better. That's something one rarely gets from other sources.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I don't think anyone prefers bootlegs except when there's no other choice, when the OST has a very meagre amount or no score at all, like Lion King. Now Godzilla has been released, I don't think anyone gives a damn about the rumoured 2 CD bootlegs that were supposed to be there... wink

And IMHO the quality of the Mulan II promo was pretty acceptable except that it was mp3 sourced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    dgoldwas wrote
    Recently, composer Joel McNeely recorded his score to the upcoming DisneyToon Studios computer-animated film Tinker Bell. Conducting an 88-piece orchestra at Sony, McNeely's score is large and sweeping, and ScoringSessions.com has the exclusive photos for you to enjoy!

http://www.scoringsessions.com/news/142/

Only one track of score on the album. sad

http://www.amazon.com/Tinkerbell-Variou … amp;sr=1-1
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008 edited
    I wanted to jump onto this discussion and join the general mourning for the sad direction Joel McNeely's career has taken over the past 10 years.

What happened here? He showed so much promise. How did he not get better offers after all his achievements?

Everyone mentions SotE, but not much more can be added once pretty much everyone agrees it's a friggin masterpiece. But what about scores like Virus, The Avengers, Gold Diggers, Wild America, not to mention the jaw-dropping work on Young Indiana Jones? Even without SotE, those alone should add up to a kick-ass port-folio to impress any producer, I'd think...

It's like he suffered the "John Scott syndrome", also known as the "Bill Conti phenomenon", or to a less extent the "Bruce Broughton effect". Except he got even LESS time to shine than these other brilliant artists... He truly was cut short.

J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me