• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2009
    I wish he was still doing stuff like Iron Will, Terminal Velocity, Soldier etc. If I had loads of money then I'd make a rubbish film like that just so he could write a fantastic score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    I wish he was still doing stuff like Iron Will, Terminal Velocity, Soldier etc. If I had loads of money then I'd make a rubbish film like that just so he could write a fantastic score.

Your post sums up in a horribly depressing way just how wasted his talent his.

I curse the gods every day for this.
  1. Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

indeed, a composer with such potential doesn't deserve to become forgotten at all sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I know that these days, everyone seems to want film music to sound like Hans Zimmer, and so that's why McNeely doesn't get the gigs he deserves; but at its best, McNeely's music contains some of the strongest elements of John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith, and it's not long ago when that would have been seen as a very good thing indeed by most filmmakers - so it's disappointing he didn't get a better chance to establish himself back when his "sound" was exactly what so many filmmakers wanted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

I can point a couple of other names in the same category, i.e. of the criminally neglected:

CLIFF EIDELMAN
    MARK MCKENZIE
    Adrian Johnston

Just to name but a few.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Also David Newman!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap. Not his greatest fan, but i have to admit the stuff he writes sounds way better than what the majority of the "modern" and young composer give us nowadays.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

I can point a couple of other names in the same category, i.e. of the criminally neglected:

CLIFF EIDELMAN
    MARK MCKENZIE
    Adrian Johnston

Just to name but a few.

Well, yes, I like Eidelman and McKenzie a lot. I do think McNeely has something a little extra-special, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DemonStar wrote
    Also David Newman!

I get the impression that he's very happy getting paid the big bucks for his comedy scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sadly. His "serious" scores are great!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

CLIFF EIDELMAN
    MARK MCKENZIE
    Adrian Johnston

Just to name but a few.

And LEE HOLDRIDGE & BRUCE BROUGHTON.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

CLIFF EIDELMAN
    MARK MCKENZIE
    Adrian Johnston

Just to name but a few.

And JOHN SCOTT.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

CLIFF EIDELMAN
    MARK MCKENZIE
    Adrian Johnston

Just to name but a few.

And JOHN SCOTT.

And DAVID SHIRE.
  2. Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

CLIFF EIDELMAN
    MARK MCKENZIE
    Adrian Johnston

Just to name but a few.

And JOHN SCOTT.

And DAVID SHIRE.

considering the quality of today's music is nothing like the quality of the music from years ago, would it have been better if all these composers would still be composing music on a regular basis?

I think so
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That would certainly be a nicer world for me to live in!

But I think we all know the reason these guys aren't working so much any more. Some of us may disagree with it, but it's not hard to work out what the reason is. But fashions are temporary, and I'm sure there will come a time when the kind of skills that these guys posess will be in demand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What's the reason? (I just want to be sure.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2009 edited
    Or - because (Hollywood) filmmakers don't generally want scores that are both (a) all that dramatically-specific in the way that they used to be - they generally want "one size fits all" scoring, the type favoured by Remote Control (and ironically - if I may be slightly controversial - the way they were until the mid-50s when people like Herrmann, North and Bernstein came to prominence); and (b) mainly-orchestral exercises.

You can picture it pretty clearly if you think about a film like Pirates of the Caribbean. If it had been made 15-20 years earlier then John Williams or James Horner would have scored it and we can all imagine what their scores may have sounded like; but today it received a (hugely-entertaining!) set of scores, but very, very different ones from what the composers mentioned above would have been capable of writing. Alternatively, imagine if Tim Burton's Batman had been made today - indeed, you CAN imagine that pretty well by thinking about last year's Batman film. Pretty obvious differences in approach to the scoring of those films (and yes, I know the waters get muddy because of the differences in the respective films - but not so much that you can't see the point that's being made).

It's a separate issue to decide whether the current fashion is "better" or "worse" - but it's certainly different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

CLIFF EIDELMAN
    MARK MCKENZIE
    Adrian Johnston

Just to name but a few.

And JOHN SCOTT.

And DAVID SHIRE.

considering the quality of today's music is nothing like the quality of the music from years ago, would it have been better if all these composers would still be composing music on a regular basis?

I think so

Why, do you think any of those would descend to those current levels? There's not such a chance, imo. Rather the contrary. If a much-needed boost in quality is every going to arise, it'd be from these people most likely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The excuse they carry (the producers, studio execs and all) are mostly similar to the vomit-inducing (sound too old, too big, too old-fashioned) ones that dressed Yared's Troy rejection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    The excuse they carry (the producers, studio execs and all) are mostly similar to the vomit-inducing (sound too old, too big, too old-fashioned) ones that dressed Yared's Troy rejection.

The irony in that particular case is that the film ended up with the kind of score that most of us would love to hear a lot more often! I know some people aren't fond of Horner's score, but if they'd never heard Yared's, they might find it easier to be open to it.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

CLIFF EIDELMAN
    MARK MCKENZIE
    Adrian Johnston

Just to name but a few.

And JOHN SCOTT.

And DAVID SHIRE.

I think so

Why, do you think any of those would descend to those current levels? There's not such a chance, imo. Rather the contrary. If a much-needed boost in quality is every going to arise, it'd be from these people most likely.

that's what I was saying Demitris
    I think, no I know we would receive more quality scores if these composers could work on blockbusters like some wannabe composers receive today. Sadly like James pointed out, today a different sound is apparently needed to support today's blockbuster

That's sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

CLIFF EIDELMAN
    MARK MCKENZIE
    Adrian Johnston

Just to name but a few.

And JOHN SCOTT.

And DAVID SHIRE.

I think so

I think, no I know we would receive more quality scores if these composers could work on blockbusters like some wannabe composers receive today. Sadly like James pointed out, today a different sound is apparently needed to support today's blockbuster

That's sad

Not support today's blockbusters... to please ignorant producers.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

CLIFF EIDELMAN
    MARK MCKENZIE
    Adrian Johnston

Just to name but a few.

And JOHN SCOTT.

And DAVID SHIRE.

I think so

That's sad

-Erik-

you said it sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Guys, can you please not post 1 meter of quoting? tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

CLIFF EIDELMAN
    MARK MCKENZIE
    Adrian Johnston

Just to name but a few.

And JOHN SCOTT.

And DAVID SHIRE.

I think so

That's sad

-Erik-

you said it sad

Hi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh yeah, remember the Golden Times of Yesteryear? How everything was so much better then? Everybody held hands and sang "Kumbayah My Lord" around the camp fire? Naked ladies danced around in the street? Everyone opened the door for the next man? Everything that came out of Hollywood was Top Quality stuff? Aaaaaah, those were the days....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's good that you agree.
  5. He'll agree for about 30 minutes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Far too long, I'd much rather listen to another album at that point... wait, what are were talking about?