• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011
    Are you serious?

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Thor wrote

Well, I strongly disagree with your assessment. No one is debating these guys' compositional chops within their style (which are undisputed) or that their music is often lovely to listen to. But it's a fact that their musical voice is fairly hard to grasp, unless you know their work quite intimately. It comes off as conventional orchestral pastiche, even to the seasoned film music fan. Which can be fun in itself, but is quite unsuited for film artists who want a more pronounced identity and particular approach.

1. Hey Doyle, Newton Howard, Gregson Williams or whatever your name is, how's that more pronounced identity working out for you?
    2. The best way to tell McNeely and McKenzie apart is to take a 1000 photos of Joe Biden eating sandwiches: http://xkcd.com/915/
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

Well, I strongly disagree with your assessment. No one is debating these guys' compositional chops within their style (which are undisputed) or that their music is often lovely to listen to. But it's a fact that their musical voice is fairly hard to grasp, unless you know their work quite intimately. It comes off as conventional orchestral pastiche, even to the seasoned film music fan. Which can be fun in itself, but is quite unsuited for film artists who want a more pronounced identity and particular approach.

1. Hey Doyle, Newton Howard, Gregson Williams or whatever your name is, how's that more pronounced identity working out for you?

???

I'd agree with Gregson-Williams (but that's because he works in the RC mode, which are designed to be samey in the first place), but the other two have extremely distinct voices. Perhaps Doyle's two latest scores have been quite Zimmerized too, but then again that's hardly weighty artistic films he's worked on. And that was the point-of-departure here.

I can perfectly understand why the more artistically ambitious directors in the US like Nolan, Aronofsky, Jones, Eastwood, Malick don't go for the very conventional sounds of Debney, McNeely, Broughton et.al. I also thought that would be a fairly OBVIOUS observation, and find it curious that it actually is one in need of defense. The mind boggles. dizzy
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Ah, but it's fun to make the mind boggle. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Are you serious?

lol

Pretty stupid Erik
    listen to more classical music!
  3. Since IMDB won't add it, here is a list -- though not complete -- of some episodes of "American Dad" he's scored:

Red October Sky (#4.13)
    Spring Break-up (#4.16)
    Roy Rogers McFreely (#5.12)
    Delorean Story-An (#5.16)
    Brains, Brains & Automobiles (#6.4)
    My Morning Straitjacket (#6.7)
    G-String Circus (#6.8)
    Rapture's Delight (#6.9)
    Don't Look a Smith Horse in the Mouth (#6.10)
    A Jones for a Smith (#6.11)
    May the Best Stan Win (#6.12)
    Return of the Bling (#6.13)
    Cops & Roger (#6.14)
    Merlot Down Dirty Shame (#6.15)
    Bully for Steve (#6.16)
    An Incident at Owl Creek (#6.17)
    The Great Space Roaster (#6.18)
    You Debt Your Life (#7.12)
    I Am the Walrus (#7.13)
    License to Till (#7.15)
    Jenny Fromdabloc (#7.16)

The bolded one had some "Back to the Future" parody; I seem to recall he paid homage to Silvestri's score.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2011
    sdtom wrote
    Talk about stupid. It was quite repetitive because the file just played the same track over and over again. It helps to tell the player to play all.
    Tom

biggrin

Made me smile, Tom.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Talk about stupid. It was quite repetitive because the file just played the same track over and over again. It helps to tell the player to play all.
    Tom

biggrin

Made me smile, Tom.

hehe, me too smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Review of Squanto
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2013 edited
    According to his Facebook account it looks like Joel McNeely is scoring Seth MacFarlane's comedy western A Million Ways To Die In The West due out next year around this time. McNeely doing a western? Yes, please!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2013
  6. Most interesting!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Excellent, hope the movie is better than Teddy.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I liked TED, actually (I tend to like most of MacFarlane's stuff), but yeah....a McNeely western sounds good!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Could care less about MacFarlane's shtick but at least the man seems to have good taste in film music. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Excellent, hope the movie is better than Teddy.

For the most part TED was hilarious. The last act sucked but I loved the rest of the movie. Haven't laugh that hard in a really, really long time.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I love his work, but Ted was a boring attempt to snatch his fans' money.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013
    New from Intrada...

TINKER BELL
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Timmer wrote
    New from Intrada...

TINKER BELL

ah, you beat me to it (by four hours tongue )
    But a great release, we need more McNeely cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2014
    Capsule review of The Pirate Fairy:

http://www.movie-wave.net/the-pirate-fairy/

...and, since that's so short, a bonus retrospective review of Terminal Velocity:

http://www.movie-wave.net/terminal-velocity/
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2014 edited
    Seth MacFarlane tweeted this 5 days ago:
    Mixing @AMillionWays -- Joel McNeely is about to remind a musically desolate Hollywood what a movie score is supposed to sound like.

https://twitter.com/sethmacfarlane/status/461682065956536320

Sounds promissing smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2014
    Sounds like McNeely gets to deliver an old fashioned Western score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I hope so. From what I've read -- especially with that song -- I had the impression this was a country-western-type score with twangy guitars and heartache, not an oldfashioned orchestral western score. I hope I'm wrong.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I hope McNeely's plays the comedy straight.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2014 edited
    Clips for A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST:

http://www.amazon.com/Million-Original- … soundtrack

And, jup, this is very much old fashioned, fully orchestral Western film scoring reminiscent of, say, Bernstein's Wild Wild West and Silvestri's Back to the Future 3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2014
    BobdH wrote
    Clips for A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST:

http://www.amazon.com/Million-Original- … soundtrack

And, jup, this is very much old fashioned, fully orchestral Western film scoring reminiscent of, say, Bernstein's Wild Wild West and Silvestri's Back to the Future 3.

Indeed! Sounds very enjoyable.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2014
    I never listen to clips, but I listened to these. Sounds fantastic!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2014
    The full score for A Million Ways To Die In The West can now be streamed here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2014
    beer punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2014
    Needs more horn of doom, ostinati, grating electronics, and clipped percussion.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!