• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. and more of Basil Poledouris:

- Conan the Barbarian
    - Iron Eagle
    - Lonesome Dove
    - The Touch
    - Under Siege 2: Dark Territory

Enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011
    Conan the Barbarian? Is that one of those random 1000-unit releases that nobody ever buys?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cowho the What now? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Conan The Barbarian... That's a silly name, what about a kick ass name like

Conan The Destroyer
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Or Conan O'Brien

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...or CONAN DOYLE

Pen mightier than the sword? no shit Sherlock!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. The final batch of Basil Poledouris reviews:

- Conan the Destroyer
    - Fire on the Mountain / Flyers
    - Les Misérables
    - Quigley Down Under
    - Red Dawn
    - Wind

Now I'm gonna work on another composer update wink

Enjoy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011 edited
    I'd give CONAN THE DESTROYER at least 4 stars personally and I'd label a few of the tracks as excellent. I love the magical sword & sorcery element that makes it such a different listen to BARBARIAN.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your views except for WIND, one of the very few Poledouris scores I have no feeling for at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    I'd give CONAN THE DESTROYER at least 4 stars personally

Agreed, and Les misérables 5.

Peter smile
  3. Timmer wrote
    I'd give CONAN THE DESTROYER at least 4 stars personally and I'd label a few of the tracks as excellent. I love the magical sword & sorcery element that makes it such a different listen to BARBARIAN.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your views except for WIND, one of the very few Poledouris scores I have no feeling for at all.

I figured as much, especially once I saw your NOW Playing message regarding Conan the Destroyer wink

It's cool it's different from Barbarian, but for me it's also so soft (or at least the album makes it appear that way)
  4. plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I'd give CONAN THE DESTROYER at least 4 stars personally

Agreed, and Les misérables 5.

Peter smile

I gave it four and a half some time ago, but now I dropped it to 4
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote

I figured as much, especially once I saw your NOW Playing message regarding Conan the Destroyer wink

It's cool it's different from Barbarian, but for me it's also so soft (or at least the album makes it appear that way)

Well, lets be honest, putting anything up against CONAN THE BARBARIAN is going to be on a hiding to nothing, there's only a tiny handful of scores that could dare to be allowed to share the same room with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011
    So LaLaLand sent a mail advertising the 3 CD release of Poledouris' Breakdown

3 CDs? I've never even heard of the film! dizzy

But...
    ...it's Poledouris.

I'm getting it.
    I need some musical balm!
    (Even though allegedly it's mostly electronics and thriller music.
    But...
    ...it's Poledouris.

I'm getting it.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    3CD's???? What the hell! uhm
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll get it too even though I barely remember the music from the film. 3 CD's? I know part of it is his own replacement score but 3 CD's???
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011 edited
    Here's what I said on FSM:

"3 CD's of BREAKDOWN (of all things!) with not a single one of them having an album program thought out!

Good luck all amateur record producers out there! Now THERE's a breakdown fo ya! wink"

Let me try this here and see if it creates just as much furore.

Over there, I've already been called 'jerk', 'hypocrite', 'baby', 'passive-aggressive' and 'troll' for that statement. Come on, you can do it! RELEASE THE ANGER OVER THIS OUTRAGEOUS STATEMENT!!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. What's the beef? You're paying the price of 2CDs.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    All I can say is that if I wanted a pair of shoes, went to the cobbler's and was given a few pieces of leather and told to make them myself, I'd be most displeased.
  6. But here you're being given two different pairs of shoes, and then some shoe laces. Meanwhile, still paying a darn tootin' good price.

And honestly -- who goes to a cobbler anymore? You go to Wal-Mart of Payless Shoes -- admit it. :p
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I see no shoes here, only leather.

I do remember a lot of positive comment towards Poledouris's score at the time of the film but I didn't really notice it on any of the several occasions I watched it. Wasn't the original, unused score he wrote meant to be more orchestral?
  7. Yes, so they say. Been far, far too long since I listened to the boot to comment.

Cobblers? LEather? Well, just's strap on that there saddle and ride on to Dodge, partner.
  8. Southall wrote
    All I can say is that if I wanted a pair of shoes, went to the cobbler's and was given a few pieces of leather and told to make them myself, I'd be most displeased.

crazy

They made him score the film three times. Three different styles. Three different scores. Three different discs. Sure, you could probably combine the best of the three onto one (and if they'd done it, I would probably buy), but the move isn't totally barren of logic.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011
    Hmm. It seems the moderator at FSM has declared that people are no longer able to say anything negative about soundtrack releases. (I presume - though it is not stated - that this rule will not apply to Varese Sarabande releases.) Ho hum!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

crazy

They made him score the film three times. Three different styles. Three different scores. Three different discs. Sure, you could probably combine the best of the three onto one (and if they'd done it, I would probably buy), but the move isn't totally barren of logic.

I was hoping you'd see that, since it was posted only for your benefit!

Personally... I'm looking forward to hearing this. It's very unusual to hear two different approaches to the same film from the same composer. I have no problem with this release whatsoever. (Well, I guess I can't say that, since I haven't heard it - but I have no problem with the concept of it.)
  9. I was just kidding of course. I enjoy that my ban led to a more creative flourish of analogies for album production. The butcher/baker/candlestickmaker thing was becoming as tiresome as a certain Scandinavian member's case for album production. It's all valid, but it's all been said too.
  10. I have a 2 CD version of this - the used and rejected scores. One was a bit more Herrmannesque in style (the rejected?).

I have not seen the announcement so don't really know what the release contains.

Personally I see no problem in giving me the music in good condition to listen to and then I can decide how I listen to it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. I am hoping that it stays around until the weekend when I can see whether it is worth getting.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    I was just kidding of course. I enjoy that my ban led to a more creative flourish of analogies for album production. The butcher/baker/candlestickmaker thing was becoming as tiresome as a certain Scandinavian member's case for album production. It's all valid, but it's all been said too.

I must admit, I am running out of artisans to use for these analogies.
  12. Go medieval, and present the case in Middle English using extinct trades.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011 edited
    Listen you lot. It's Poledouris, right?
    I'm getting it. End of.
    And no amount of cobbling your own wax bread is going to make me... Wait, What? Franz got banned??