• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    Hmm. It seems the moderator at FSM has declared that people are no longer able to say anything negative about soundtrack releases. (I presume - though it is not stated - that this rule will not apply to Varese Sarabande releases.) Ho hum!

This comes about a month after a poster opened a second thread to talk about the score to a controversial film, in some poster's minds. Just like the first thread, the posters decided to not discuss the score, but rather attack the film, and members who defended it.

In any other professional messege board I've been to, a moderator or board owner would have told everybody to knock it the fuck off, and to stay on topic, or don't post in the thread -- stop Flaming and harrassing members. Instead, the mod over at FSM decided to reward the bad behavior and lock the htread and tell the original thread starter he should have known better.

Way to go. (thumbs down icon)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    Go medieval, and present the case in Middle English using extinct trades.

smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Martijn wrote
    And no amount of cobbling your own wax bread is going to make me... Wait, What? Franz got banned??

No, not banned, I was the banner. In a rare indulgence of kneejerk prohibitionary impulses, I banned the use of certain rhetorical devices in the context of a familiar conversation about the role and duties of album producer. This was about as effective as mowing my lawn with grandmother's false teeth.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011 edited
    Come on, analogies rule! One of the most entertaining rhetorical figures there is. Your one about the grandmother's teeth is example thereof.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Spouting analogies is like wasting time in that I'm doing both now.

(humble respects to http://xkcd.com/762/ )
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011 edited
    So Thor got banned from FSM?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Franz got banned because of analogies?

Where's the analogy with other bans?

Should I ban you here too, because analogously, this is a film music forum too.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    So Thor got banned from FSM?

No. Not yet, anyway. The day I get banned for voicing an opinion, albeit unpopular and with regular intervals, is a day of pride for me.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    ... albeit unpopular and with regular intervals...

The statistician in me feels to point out that these two qualities are not observationally independent. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    what what what?! what happened here?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Everyone died and we are now trapped in the message board waiting for the call "home."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011
    New from INTRADA

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7116/.f
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Aw MAN! crazy
    I'd love to hear House Of God, but I'm NOT buying Cherry 2000 for the THIRD time.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm afraid that is how I feel too buddy slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I will NOT rest until Cherry 2000 is released for a fourth time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011
    CONAN THE BARBARIAN AND DESTROYER COMING FROM INTRADA

ROGER HAD THIS TO SAY ON THE INTRADA MESSAGE BOARD

Okay, I know rumors started on this. Not sure where it started (AICN perhaps?), but given the number of requests we get for clarity, I thought I would do one posting for my own sanity. Yes, we are restoring and releasing both CONAN THE BARBARIAN and CONAN THE DESTROYER. Yes, the rumors that the masters were missing were false. They were there...24-track and 4-track units in pristine condition and complete, sitting right where we expected them to be at Universal. We transferred everything...the sound is stunning. Simply stunning. Going back to the 24-track is going to reveal a detail and ferocity on both scores you just haven't heard before. Basil often went for a muscular, powerhouse over the top performance to match unrivaled visuals and got it in a way no big orchestral score had quite achieved up to that point. Remember the feeling when you heard these scores for the first time? You'll feel it again! Fans of these scores should be ready to have their socks knocked off.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. It's not CHERRY 2000, that's for sure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    It's not CHERRY 2000, that's for sure.

Timmer awards 1000 kudos points to Michael for gross understatement of the year.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh, and...

punk fireworks bhangra chicken bhangra fireworks punk
  6. Of course they turn up, how surprising...
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    quote]Timmer wrote
    Here's James Fitzpatrick's reply to someone from the CONAN thread at the FSM board.....

[startquote][startquote][startquote]And those people from Tadlow went through all that trouble to do a rerecording?[/endquote]

Rather a kick in the teeth for them, eh whot? :D[/endquote]

Not really a kick in the teeth for anyone ...as I am sure the world can survive with 2 Destroyers because it will be nice to have the original in remixed sound but it will not alter the following points....

Now having gone through the complete newly prepared score with a toothcomb today and compared it against the performances on the original album and the double CD bootleg it amazes me that

1. How many wrong notes where on Basil original scores

2. How so few of them were corrected on the Italian sessions

3. How bad generally the orchestra was but in particular the woodwind who fluffed many a solo ... plus the brass splits and poor string intonation.

4. Because Basil was only given a relatively small string section of 36 for such a large score, a good deal of the time 2 synths doubled the strings lines. (the new recording will have 54 string)

5. These 2 synths also often played (or failed to play) the Cimbalom, Harpsichord, Tuba and Bass lines...

6. Quite a bit of the percussion listed on each cue seems to have either been taceted or missed their entries or came in early

7. Some cues the 2 harps obviously could not play what was written

8. And finally, the Main Title as composed was never performed correctly ... so the main titles, end credits etc.. are edits of different cues

No Wonder Basil was so Unhappy!!!

I am sure the Intrada remix will be a marked improvement ... but no amount of remixing can correct wrong notes and poor intonation?

I am sure we can do a bit better for Basil and for his family who are supporting this venture[/endquote]
  7. I already have the Milan, Varese and the Re-recording but who am I kidding, i'll definitely be picking up this new Intrada. I might skip the Intrada Destroyer though and go straight for the re-recoding of that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2011
    Is there such a thing as CONAN overload?

Probably not to most, but I'm still perfectly content with my Milan of BARBARIAN. Had DESTROYER once, but it didn't do much for me, and certainly didn't grab me the way the first film did.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2011 edited
    I talked to James Fitzpatrick in Úbeda (he signed Conan for me) and he told me what Timmer posted about: Intrada can't change the wrong notes. I'll happily buy the rerecording, because one piece was played during the symphonic concert the day before. I hadn't heard anything of that score before, and it was really cool. More jiggy, less dark than the first film I think?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2011
    It's a MUST HAVE Bregt, you'll not be disappointed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2011
    This from James Fitzpatrick in an FSM post regarding the new recording of CONAN THE DESTROYER

Now that all the BIG cues are "in the can" .... the more lyrical cues being recorded in about 30 minutes time.... I now know why when I met Basil he was so disappointed with the original recording! Now hearing these cues played by a full 87 piece symphony orchestra makes the whole thing sound much more powerful and heroic than the cut-down, close-miked, TV size orchestra, Basil was forced use in Italy? Even the choir in one of the final cues never seems to have been recorded....until now....

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ooooooooo......must have! MUST HAVE!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Ooooooooo......must have! MUST HAVE!

biggrin

The opening lines of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfLD-7bCtME say it all for me!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011 edited
    I thought I'd put this request from James Fitzpatrick in this thread just in case anyone here can help him.

Just finished editing/mxing the new recording of CONAN THE DESTROYER. I am now on the urgent lookout for any photos of Basil as have exhausted the ones I got from Ubeda and the Poledouris family. Does anyone out there have any high quality photos of Basil?

Please reply to tadlowmusic@hotmail.com