• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012
    Obviously.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Crikey. This is a must.
  1. [Thor]I am not interested in this watermelon and I am satisfied with the shorter editions not in stereo. It will sell a ton[/Thor]

Me? I want this fucking watermelon.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    face-palm-mt
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012
    Steven wrote
    Crikey. This is a must.

Oh yesssssssssssss!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Okay, pardon the ignorance of a film music fan who is embarrassingly unfamiliar with such a classic score, but as I've never purchased any version of this one, I'm wondering what to do. I've wanted to purchase the Tadlow rerecording ever since I heard it on Erik's show - it sounded fantastic. I was going to buy it pretty soon, but now this thing is coming out. I don't want to buy both. Which one should I go for, and why?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    Okay, pardon the ignorance of a film music fan who is embarrassingly unfamiliar with such a classic score, but as I've never purchased any version of this one, I'm wondering what to do. I've wanted to purchase the Tadlow rerecording ever since I heard it on Erik's show - it sounded fantastic. I was going to buy it pretty soon, but now this thing is coming out. I don't want to buy both. Which one should I go for, and why?

Question........too hard......... explode
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    Okay, pardon the ignorance of a film music fan who is embarrassingly unfamiliar with such a classic score, but as I've never purchased any version of this one, I'm wondering what to do. I've wanted to purchase the Tadlow rerecording ever since I heard it on Erik's show - it sounded fantastic. I was going to buy it pretty soon, but now this thing is coming out. I don't want to buy both. Which one should I go for, and why?

Question........too hard......... explode

It is a hard question.

I'd say that, for a pristine recreation of this excellent score I would go for the Tadlow release. However...and here's the crunch for me...the original soundtrack has such a life of its own that the Tadlow could not recreate (very specific sounds on the OST that aren't quite recreated on the rerecording, the "quirks" of the recording) that the original and the rerecording can be seen as separate listening experiences. And because of this I would recommend both as well.

(For me, at least, many of Herrmann's scores fall into this dilemma: the rerecordings of his scores (Vertigo, Psycho, North By Northwest to name a few) are great recreations but there's something else (maybe undefinable) that makes the original Herrmann-conducted originals great companions for the rerecordings (and visa versa).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Alan has nailed it! When push comes to shove I'd say get the upcoming Intrada release, I think you'll love it so much that you'll then want to buy the Tadlow.
  4. christopher wrote

Intrada's will offer more stuff that's NOT on the re-recording; interestingalternates, music not used in the film, some pieces missing from the Tadlow version, and for those who give a crap -- a bonus trakc with narration.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Thanks for the advice, boys.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    RE: CONAN THE BARBARIAN

From the Intrada Forum

"Hear ye, one and all. Nothing to lose sleep over. EVERY piece of music in the movie appears on our 3-disc set, all delivered under Poledouris' baton in a reading of raw intensity and primitive fury unmatched in any other performance. We're talking some 110 minutes or so of actual soundtrack music, newly-mixed from the complete 2" 24-track session masters PLUS numerous cues deleted from the re-recording such as: the striking tam-tam, low piano and percussion pieces ("Freedom Council" where Conan is turned loose from captivity, "Warpaint" where he prepares for battle), the drinking music before he's summoned to Osric ("Indulgence/Mettle") and the fire music prior to meeting the "Wolf Witch". You'll also find both Basil's original unused music for the snake fight, based on his gladiator "Pit Fights" music and Milius' preferred film version of "Las Cantigas De Santa Maria" that was used instead.

If that's not enough you'll find an early unused "Prologue", three different percussion loops written as alternates for the council meeting, a rejected and strikingly different "Anvil Of Crom" with trumpets doubling the horns in extremely high registers, an alternate "Battle Of The Mounds", unused versions of the entire "Children Of Doom" sequence written for mezzo-soprano with chamber orchestra as well as for female choir with harp (including a gorgeous, never-before-heard bridge passage for woodwinds), a complete re-construction from Universal's paperwork of the film-edited version of the kitchen battle ("The Defilers") and the similarly edited "End Title" music, the complete original Poledouris album assembly for MCA Records...

AND...

An "extra" of the complete "Prologue/Anvil Of Crom" sequence featuring our beloved Mako speaking that immortal opening, "When the oceans drank Atlantis... ." We wouldn't dream of leaving that off. You dear listeners get to have your cake and eat it, too.

(Oh, and yes, you get Arnold on the cover.)
    --Doug

P.S. And patience, please, as we dot the 'i's" and cross the "t's" in our packaging. We're as anxious as you to play this beauty. (Ok, yes, we can play it now... but we want you to be able to play it, too.)"

Indeed Justin. Worth bumping this post for.
  6. christopher wrote
    Thanks for the advice, boys.

I'm a man, man! tongue
  7. justin boggan wrote
    ...a bonus track with narration.

There seems to be a whole lot of love for this piece with Mako's narration. Can't understand it myself. rolleyes
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Me neither. The first time I heard Conan the Barbarian, I actually hated the score and years later I got back to it, listening to it together with a friend and this time we picked the Varese over the Milan.

The lack of Mako's narration made me approach the whole thing differently and I LOVED the score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2012
    Hear three clips from Intrada's new Conan The Barbarian 3CD release.

http://www.underscores.fr/index.php/201 … cklisting/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Kind of funny putting clips up of that classic. I think this may be one of the scores I could probably write out the full orchestration of by heart. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Kind of funny putting clips up of that classic. I think this may be one of the scores I could probably write out the full orchestration of by heart. smile

biggrin

I have no qualms about buying this one punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Should I buy this when I have that rerecording and the original Milan cd?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    YES!
  9. Oooh, original Conan The Barbarian!

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7716/.f

No surprise but great listening to the clips in anticipation of the 3-CD set!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2012
    I don't think I will ever listen to the Conan The Barbarian re-recording again once I get Intrada's new 3CD set. On the other hand... Conan The Destroyer... that's another story. The re-recording is sooooooooooo good!

-Erik-
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    I don't think I will ever listen to the Conan The Barbarian re-recording again once I get Intrada's new 3CD set. On the other hand... Conan The Destroyer... that's another story. The re-recording is sooooooooooo good!

I'm looking forward to hearing how both versions of Conan The Barbarian sound side-by-side and seeing how I feel then. And I'll also give the Varese CD a spin too to see how IT compares with the new Intrada set - to hear just what we've had to put up with over the years!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    From the press release: "Poledouris didn't write music for kitchen battle sequence as scene was scored editorially from other cues. For Conan purists, we have recreated entire sequence (including awkward edits) for this segment as well as for closing "End Credits", also created editorially in picture itself."

Absolute joke. They've combined both of those non-composed, non-musical tracks with real Poledouris compositions - they're not even bonus tracks. Perhaps this will rival The Wind and the Lion as the most nonsensical combination of cues that don't need to be combined in soundtrack releasing history.

Ah well, I bought it anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    And the fact that "awkward edits" is proudly announced as something to get excited by tells you all you need to know about who these things are aimed at (it ain't people who are in it for the music).
  11. Southall wrote
    And the fact that "awkward edits" is proudly announced as something to get excited by tells you all you need to know about who these things are aimed at (it ain't people who are in it for the music).

You're making me feel dirty!

It did seem a bit at odds with what you would expect.
  12. I'm taken back to THE PHANTOM MENACE ULTIMATE EDITION -- (although I think that release's terrible edits weren't so much a labour of love as a sign of expediency).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2012 edited
    Southall wrote

They did this for Robocop as well. The end credits weren't actually written but edited together. Intrada's avoiding a shit storm here. purists want this stuff. Let them have it. if you don't like it then SKIP over it!

BTW, didn't Tadlow do the same for their re-recording? They assembled the cues together as edited in the picture and performed it that way. The "Orgy Fight" track, right?

Now, I could see people getting upset if this was another "The Desert Chase" problem - using the shitty album edit instead of the complete track on the Indy box set but it isn't.

-Erik-
  13. The recreation in the Tadlow recording probably wasn't as awkward! wink

But yeah, they've definitely picked the niche market over the broad one.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2012 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    The recreation in the Tadlow recording probably wasn't as awkward! wink

Listen to "Orgy Fight" and tell me that ain't awkward at the 1:32 mark.

EDIT - Now that I really pay more attention to that track from the re-recording I think THAT is an edit, too! Those are two tracks from that recording sessions edited together. "Anvil of Crom" and "Riddle Of Steel / Riders Of Doom" without chorus.

-Erik-