• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2008
    Matt C wrote
    I USED the search function before I posted the thread, but the search results yielded nada. crazy

Don't beat yourself up man, easy mistake smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2008 edited
    Antineutrino wrote
    Finally, a release of Basil's last score:

THE LEGEND OF BUTCH AND SUNDANCE
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8558

The clips sound much more infectious than Quigley Down Under or Lonesome Dove, for that matter. Of course, Poledouris had a much smaller ensemble than those scores had but I think that works to the score's advantage.

I think I better preorder a CD before it sells out completely.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008
    Lonesome Dove great, Free Willy very good, The Blue Lagoon good, Hunt for Red October very good.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2008
    MovieScore Media presents
    THE LEGEND OF BUTCH AND SUNDANCE
    Original Soundtrack

Music Composed by
    Basil Poledouris

Sound clips and more info:
    http://www.moviescoremedia.com/butch.html

Limited CD edition (1,500 copies) distributed by Screen Archives Entertainment:
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8558

Download album in 320kbit mp3 format here:
    http://www.filmmusicdownloads.com/WebFi … tm?id=6015

Download album on iTunes here (available on March 4):
    http://www.itunes.com

We are honored to announce the release of the legendary Basil Poledouris' final score, an inspiring and beautiful western score composed for the 2003 television movie The Legend of Butch and Sundance, which came out on DVD in the US on February 5. The film stars David Rogers and Ryan Browning, and was directed by Sergio Mimica-Gezzan, a protegé of Steven Spielberg who worked as first assistant director on Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan and Catch Me If You Can.

Basil Poledouris, who sadly passed away on November 8, 2006, was indeed one of the most popular and acclaimed composers of Hollywood film music: among his many strikingly original scores were RoboCop, The Hunt for Red October, Conan the Barbarian, Starship Troopers and Lonesome Dove (for which he wan an Emmy). The music for The Legend of Butch and Sundance was, as always, a rich one: it features a spirited main theme, rhythmic suspense and action music, Mexican-flavored tunes, and a beautiful love theme. The music was scored for an ensemble of solo instruments including guitar, mandolin, accordion, cello and violin, and made subtle use of sampled orchestral instruments.

CD EDITION LIMITED TO 1,500 COPIES.

MMS08004 DISCOVERY COLLECTION VOLUME 4
    THE LEGEND OF BUTCH AND SUNDANCE: Original Soundtrack
    Music Composed by BASIL POLEDOURIS
    Release date: February 26, 2007.

For a preview of our upcoming CD releases, please visit http://www.moviescoremedia.com/comingsoon.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2008
    Does anyone know if there exists piano SHEET MUSIC for the BLUE LAGOON? Thanks
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2008
    Ok, who can name the absolutely 5 Poledouris must-have scores, and why? Please? wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ok, who can name the absolutely 5 Poledouris must-have scores, and why? Please? wave

# 1 CONAN THE BARBARIAN

First foremost and beyond ALL others....in fact it's easily one of THE greatest score EVER written. It shouldn't need anymore explanations as it should be on every soundtrack collecters shelf.

As for another four I'll let someone else decide...I'm sure I'll agee whatever is chosen wink cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Apart from that wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    # 2 STARSHIP TROOPERS

What a HUGE sound and no need of a ruddy choir. Scores don't come much more muscular than this, it's big, ballsy and brassy with superb orchestrtions and just so damn melodic which is probably Basil's greatest talent, the man could definitely write THEMES!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008
    DISagree, actually. Sorry Tim shame

#2: ROBOCOP
    Poledouris at the zenith of his power. Aboslutely MAGNIFICENT theme, and the track Rock Shop blasts Starship Troopers (howver adrenalin-powered and beloved) completely out of the water.

#3 FLESH + BLOOD

Poledouris at his medieval best! Thematic material alternating lovely, lush, brilliantly romantic themes.
    GodDAMN. I *wish* someone would write stuff like this today.
    Honestly I miss Basil beyond belief. sad

#4 QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER
    Brilliant themes, brilliant compositions, brilliant scores. I wish Poledouris had done more westerns.
    Well.
    More scores.
    Period.

#5 STARSHIP TROOPERS
    Adrenalin country. Poledouris proves AGAIN that he is PRE-EMINENT at what he does.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Let me add "The Touch"; you can hear three or four cues on his site.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    #1: Lonesome Dove

Beautiful, almost Broughton-level western music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, well, like I said on the first page of this thread: it's very hard to make a top 5, and tomorrow might easily see a change with the thunderous and robust The Hunt For Red October or the beautiful and emotional The Touch or the epic and dramatic Les Miserables take over any place in the top 5.

*sigh*

I miss the man.
    Terribly.
    sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote

Quigley and Dove blow anything Broughton's ever done out of any water found on any planet in any dimension. By several lightyears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Quigley and Dove blow anything Broughton's ever done out of any water found on any planet in any dimension. By several lightyears.

Naaah, not a chance. Wouldn't make Broughton's top twenty. But they are good. Very good indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008 edited
    shocked Are you MAD?
    Seriously?

Broughton's never ever done anything that could even begin to touch the raw emotive power of even Poledouris lowliest scores!

Damn, I know I should know better than to get bogged down in these tedious and pointless "composer A is better than composer B" arguments, but honestly this is like comparing Jan Hammer to John Williams!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    shocked Are you MAD?
    Seriously?

Broughton's never ever done anything that could even begin to touch the raw emotive power of even Poledouris lowliest scores!

Damn, I know I should know better than to get bogged down in these tedious and pointless "composer A is better than composer B" arguments, but honestly this is like comparing Jan Hammer to John Williams!

Oh come off it, of course it isn't. It's comparing one really good film composer with another. I just happen to think Broughton's better, but that is no slight against Poledouris. I think Broughton's better than all but ten or so film composers of the last twenty or thirty years, so it's hardly a massive slight. I would take Silverado or Tombstone or several other Broughtons over most film music composed since then. I would still take Conan or Lonesome Dove over most of the rest.
  2. No, it's more like comparing John Debney to Jerry Goldsmith.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    DISagree, actually. Sorry Tim shame

#2: ROBOCOP
    Poledouris at the zenith of his power. Aboslutely MAGNIFICENT theme, and the track Rock Shop blasts Starship Troopers (howver adrenalin-powered and beloved) completely out of the water.

#3 FLESH + BLOOD

Poledouris at his medieval best! Thematic material alternating lovely, lush, brilliantly romantic themes.
    GodDAMN. I *wish* someone would write stuff like this today.
    Honestly I miss Basil beyond belief. sad

#4 QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER
    Brilliant themes, brilliant compositions, brilliant scores. I wish Poledouris had done more westerns.
    Well.
    More scores.
    Period.

#5 STARSHIP TROOPERS
    Adrenalin country. Poledouris proves AGAIN that he is PRE-EMINENT at what he does.

Would it surprise you to know that I have no argument with you disagreeing? cool beer

After # 1 I could quite easily change my mind on a top 4 line up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    shocked Are you MAD?
    Seriously?

Oh come off it, of course it isn't. It's comparing one really good film composer with another. I just happen to think Broughton's better, but that is no slight against Poledouris. I think Broughton's better than all but ten or so film composers of the last twenty or thirty years, so it's hardly a massive slight. I would take Silverado or Tombstone or several other Broughtons over most film music composed since then. I would still take Conan or Lonesome Dove over most of the rest.

I agree. Poledouris was a fine a composer, but then so is Broughton. It's more like comparing John Williams to Jerry Goldsmith (Broughton being Williams, and Poledouris being Goldsmith).

Also, I've heard some of Poledouris's 'lowliest' scores and they're not very good. Are you trying to tell me that something like Breakdown is better than Lost in Space?

Anyway, my top five would look like this:

1) Starship Troopers
    2) Conan
    3) The Hunt for Red October
    4) Flesh+Blood
    5) Robocop
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Oh come off it, of course it isn't. It's comparing one really good film composer with another.

Yeah, I may have expressed myself a tad too strongly, being under the influence of far too much champagne (having just returned from my half-brother's fiftieth birthday christmas_drunk )), and my love for Poledouris knowing no bounds I felt compelled to defend him against a perceived slight (especially as I never really understood Broughton's appeal).
    So sorry to go slightly off the handle here. shame
  3. Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Naaah, not a chance. Wouldn't make Broughton's top twenty. But they are good. Very good indeed.

Has Broughton even done 20 westerns?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Has Broughton even done 20 westerns?

I get it! *raises hand*
  4. Goodness, and I didn't even have to wink.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Goodness, and I didn't even have to wink.

Shame. cos Steven loves a good wink. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I'm glad your "computer" didn't make a typo there. shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I'm glad your "computer" didn't make a typo there. shocked

It was very tempted! devil wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No smutty innuendo in Basil's thread! angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've always been struck by the use of "better" or "worse" in comparing composers, especially on a general basis. How do you define "better" or "worse" anyway?
    I am extremely serious.