• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008 edited
    Thor wrote
    How do you define "better" or "worse" anyway?

Obviously that always translates to personal preference anyway.
    Unless there's clear and -above all- measurable levels of craft and intricacy involved.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Thor wrote
    I've always been struck by the use of "better" or "worse" in comparing composers, especially on a general basis. How do you define "better" or "worse" anyway?

Thankyou Thor for repeating a realisation that common sense had brought us to several posts before. You must be an academic! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008 edited
    #1 - Conan The Barbarian
    I don't think there's a single "slack" track on this (expanded) CD. The action music is so much "in-your-face" and this music is beautifully balanced by the more touching/emotional cues. Anyone who does not have the expanded version should hunt it out now.

#2 - RoboCop
    Much like Conan - and on another day this could be #1. Full of great action set pieces but Poledouris' music for the anguished Murphy is what stands out for me on this one.

#3 - Starship Troopers
    Full of more action set pieces this one that are just so memorable. And it's these great action cues alone that get it in my Top 5.

#4 - The Touch
    I'm a sucker for Asian-influenced scores that are full of emotion and this is a good example of what makes a good emotion-packed score. The main theme for this is such a beautiful piece - even the song!

#5 - Conan The Destroyer
    Not such a powerhouse as the original Conan but the recurring themes heard here from the original (no matter how large the orchestra may be) are enough to put this above everything else (IMO).

BTW, these are my "favourites".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Oh, yes, I must name my favourite Basil Poledouris scores.

#1 - Lonesome Dove

#2 - Conan the Barbarian

#3 - Flesh and Blood

#4 - Farewell to the King or Amerika

#5 - It's My Party

It was very hard not to put Les Miserables on the list.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    #1 - Conan The Barbarian
    I don't think there's a single "slack" track on this (expanded) CD. The action music is so much "in-your-face" and this music is beautifully balanced by the more touching/emotional cues. Anyone who does not have the expanded version should hunt it out now.

#2 - RoboCop
    Much like Conan - and on another day this could be #1. Full of great action set pieces but Poledouris' music for the anguished Murphy is what stands out for me on this one.

#3 - Starship Troopers
    Full of more action set pieces this one that are just so memorable. And it's these great action cues alone that get it in my Top 5.

#4 - The Touch
    I'm a sucker for Asian-influenced scores that are full of emotion and this is a good example of what makes a good emotion-packed score. The main theme for this is such a beautiful piece - even the song!

#5 - Conan The Destroyer
    Not such a powerhouse as the original Conan but the recurring themes heard here from the original (no matter how large the orchestra may be) are enough to put this above everything else (IMO).

BTW, these are my "favourites".

beer

Good to see 'Destroyer' there! Very underated in my opinion.....and brilliant picks ALL! punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Very nice lists. I'm glad to see at least one person mention Amerika! wave

I haven't heard Flesh & Blood and Farewell to the King in their entirety so my list for now is-

1 Conan The Barbarian
    2 Lonesome Dove
    3 Amerika
    4 Les Miserables
    5 Quigley Down Under
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote

I haven't heard Flesh & Blood and Farewell to the King in their entirety so my list for now is-

1 Conan The Barbarian
    2 Lonesome Dove
    3 Amerika
    4 Les Miserables
    5 Quigley Down Under

Can't find fault with any choices cool

Wasn't it a shame that Poledouris never got to score a Star Trek film!? slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

1 Conan The Barbarian
    2 Lonesome Dove
    3 Amerika
    4 Les Miserables
    5 Quigley Down Under

Don't say things like that, it hurts.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

1 Conan The Barbarian
    2 Lonesome Dove
    3 Amerika
    4 Les Miserables
    5 Quigley Down Under

Sometimes the truth hurts sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

1 Conan The Barbarian
    2 Lonesome Dove
    3 Amerika
    4 Les Miserables
    5 Quigley Down Under

Sometimes the truth hurts sad

La la la la la not listening la la la la la la.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Are you trying to tempt me into giving you that Jack Nicholson speech? wink
  3. Timmer wrote

Not THAT Jack Nicholson speech, please!!

BTW, WHAT Jack Nicholson speech? shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Not THAT Jack Nicholson speech, please!!

BTW, WHAT Jack Nicholson speech? shame

It's from A Few Good Men, Big Jack to Tom Cruise "The truth? You can't handle the truth!"

Ring any bells? wink
  4. Timmer wrote

Funny, there was a time when I listened to Cherry 2000 a lot, and somehow, during that great action track, the image of Kirk & Co. stealing the Enterprise from the drydock (ST III) kept returning to my inner eye again and again.
  5. Timmer wrote
    It's from A Few Good Men, Big Jack to Tom Cruise "The truth? You can't handle the truth!"

Ring any bells? wink

I've seem snippets from that speech but not seen it all the way through - I've not seen the movie.
  6. You can't handle the truth. No truth-handler, you. Bah! I deride your truth-handling abilities!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. justin boggan wrote
    You can't handle the truth. No truth-handler, you. Bah! I deride your truth-handling abilities!

biggrin
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2008
    IRON EAGLE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    tjguitar wrote
    IRON EAGLE!

For anyone who doesn't know, it's the title of the new Varese Sarabande Club release. wink
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    tjguitar wrote
    IRON EAGLE!

For anyone who doesn't know, it's the title of the new Varese Sarabande Club release. wink

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2008 edited
    As an Homage to Basil Poledouris (who attended the Conference in 2006) there will be a performance of "The Hunt for the Red October" in the main concert of this year´s Úbeda Conference. Sweet!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    As an Homage to Basil Poledouris (who attended the Conference in 2006) there will be a performance of "The Hunt for the Red October" in the main concert of this year´s Úbeda Conference. Sweet!

And here it is, for everyone who wasn't there, to enjoy... a little bit.
    Can't imagine what it must have been like to be there, pretty awesome I guess!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdL9Ku6J … re=related

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008
    I've been listening to a lot of Poledouris the last two days and I was thinking of my favourites. There are some scores that need a re-listen like Flesh + Blood and Farewell to the King for instance before I can make a final list but for now I'd say:

1. Starship Troopers. Man, it's like every note is a Poledourism. I love it. Every second.

2. Conan, speaks for itself.

3. Les Miserables. This one has always been high on my list.

4. Hunt for Red October, although I'm not too happy with the action tracks at all... but the good stuff makes up for it.

5. I'll keep that one open and as soon as I've listened to some more I'll come back and change my list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008
    Flesh+Blood is VERY high up on my list. I love that score.
  8. BhelPuri wrote

1 Conan The Barbarian
    2 Lonesome Dove
    3 Amerika
    4 Les Miserables
    5 Quigley Down Under

Finally, a list with Amerika in it, even though Farewell to the King is even better smile

My list would be however something like this:

1: Farewell to the King
    2: Conan the Barbarian
    3: Les Miserables
    4: Amerika
    5: Starship Troopers

Allrightythen punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Flesh+Blood is VERY high up on my list. I love that score.

Hm, I'll take another listen then! Since you have also put Starship Troopers at 1.

By the way I also listened to Robocop again but was a bit disappointed with it so I don't understand why some people put that one high on the list...?

Question: has anyone ever taken the time to turn the suites from Les Miserables into seperate tracks? Last night I was listening and thinking that it shouldn't be too hard because there are already spaces within the suites and it sounds like seperate tracks one after another anyway. So I'm guessing someone took the time once to do it? I'd be curious to know where you cut the suites. Thanks in advance!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008
    OK, I found the bootleg tracklist. Never mind! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    I am listening to CHERRY 2000 now for the first time and i am immensely loving it; i am pleasantly surprised by PHILIP GLASS influences that can be found scarcely throughout the score, of course in a very own special way to Poledouris. But still it's quite interesting, in tracks like - say "Magneto". I am wondering who influenced who wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am listening to CHERRY 2000 now for the first time and i am immensely loving it; i am pleasantly surprised by PHILIP GLASS influences that can be found scarcely throughout the score, of course in a very own special way to Poledouris. But still it's quite interesting, in tracks like - say "Magneto". I am wondering who influenced who wink

Never realy thought about any Glass influence in this score before? I'll have a listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    confused confusedconfusedconfusedconfused
    shocked

vomit
    spin
    moon
    angry
    explode
    kill
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn