• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    Sure, James. It's the WORLD that is wrong...not YOU...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    BSX finally sent me my signed Cherry 2000 booklet today...I hope its a genuine signature smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    I am listening to CHERRY 2000 now for the first time and i am immensely loving it; i am pleasantly surprised by PHILIP GLASS influences that can be found scarcely throughout the score, of course in a very own special way to Poledouris. But still it's quite interesting, in tracks like - say "Magneto". I am wondering who influenced who wink

Well the Glass sound was already well and truly established by the mid-80s, so I don't think there would be a question of which way the influence ran, if any. But if it's something like arpeggiations or repeated rhythms, it could have easily come via Reich or Herrmann, to be honest.

Poledouris has said that his three reference points on CHERRY 2000 were the 3 'M's: Moroder, Mozart and Morricone, which made sense to me.

It's interesting that this isn't the first time I've heard Glass and Poledouris compared. Some film music reviewer reviewed Glass's Symphony 8 a couple of years ago, a very impressive work incidentally. The reviewer remarked that fans of Basil Poledouris's action music would probably enjoy movement 1. I can't say that ever felt like more than a superficial comparison - as I heard nothing of Poledouris in that movement. The few moments in Poledouris where I do hear a hint of Glass - there's a moment in STARSHIP TROOPERS, for example, and another in LES MISERABLES - don't remind me at all of SYMPHONY 8. It's usually something more basic like - as I said before - a simple device whose importance has been exaggerated.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Don't forget Free Willy too, wonderful main theme.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. I need some help with identifying the subtracks which play in the suites of the album 'Les Misérables'. This album has 4 long suites, each containing 4-5 smaller cues. If anyone can identify those for me with the exact time they start at that would be helpful. I tried using Filmtracks' bootleg listing but to no avail, it confuses me ever more.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    I need some help with identifying the subtracks which play in the suites of the album 'Les Misérables'. This album has 4 long suites, each containing 4-5 smaller cues. If anyone can identify those for me with the exact time they start at that would be helpful. I tried using Filmtracks' bootleg listing but to no avail, it confuses me ever more.

good luck, considering their cover is one of the most hilarious (aka frustrating) things I've witnessed yet.

But what a brilliant score punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    I need some help with identifying the subtracks which play in the suites of the album 'Les Misérables'. This album has 4 long suites, each containing 4-5 smaller cues. If anyone can identify those for me with the exact time they start at that would be helpful. I tried using Filmtracks' bootleg listing but to no avail, it confuses me ever more.

Here is the way I separated them...

1. Theme from Les Miserables (2:41)
    2. The Bishop / Javert (2:12)
    3. The Quarry (1:17)
    4. Javert Suspects (2:26)
    5. Caring For Fantine / Valjean's Confession (4:18)
    6. The Death of Fantine (2:33)
    7. Flight from Vigau (9:45)
    8. Valjean and Cosette (3:01)
    9. The Wall (1:56)
    10. Outside (1:05)
    11. Marius and Cosette (5:16)
    12. Valjean Remembers (1:30)
    13. Funeral Attack (2:58)
    14. Valjean Saves Marius (2:58)
    15. Farewell (2:08)
    16. Javert's Suicide (3:09)

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I'm still hoping that some day there will be an official release of the 'complete' Conan the barbarian music . Maybe wishful thinking , I know ... but this is one of my all time favourite soundtracks ...
    I'm happy with the Varèse & Milan releases but I want more ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    I'm still hoping that some day there will be an official release of the 'complete' Conan the barbarian music . Maybe wishful thinking , I know ... but this is one of my all time favourite soundtracks ...
    I'm happy with the Varèse & Milan releases but I want more ... wink

ME TOO BY CROM!!!! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. If CROM and KRULL had a baby it'd be called CROLL. and KRUM if it was boy.

Haha couldn't help myself.

beer

Thanks for the track list Erik. I'll see to put it to good use.

And Martijn has already helped me a little in this respect as well. So kudos to you two gentlemen!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009
    A TRIBUTE TO BASIL POLEDOURIS "Live In Concert at Úbeda Film Festival"

The Film Music Festival of Úbeda and the BSOSpirit Association, in collaboration with SINGULAR SOUNDTRACK present one of the biggest events in the world of film music: the only live concert of Basil Poledouris, focused on a Masterpiece on film music: "Conan the Barbarian".

This DVD includes the entire concert of Basil Poledouris, with almost 50 minutes of "CONAN THE SYMPHONY", mixed and mastered in Dolby Digital 5.1 for the occasion. In addition, the DVD includes two exclusive documentaries:

"REMEMBERING BASIL". Over 40 minutes of exclusive interviews with family members (his wife Bobbie and hisdaughters Zoe and Alexis) and close friends of Basil as Paul Verhoeven, Randal Kleiser, Richard Kraft, Eric Colvin, etc. Made after his death.

"THE TALE OF CONAN", where Basil himself explains how he composed this masterpiece, in addition to the pre-concert rehersals and the prize-giving of the GoldSpirit at the Festival. It also includes an emotional photo editing ("BASIL AT ÚBEDA") and an exhaustive interview conducted by professionals from BSOSpirit and his complete filmography. Almost two hours of tribute to one of the most famous composers in the history of cinema. Done in English with subtitles in Spanish

LIMITED EDITION OF 1200 COPIES.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hola! When will it be available?
    Kazoo
  6. I will buy!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    WHERE will it be available?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009 edited
    That very same question crossed my mind. I´ll certainly consider buying it if the price is right.

So tell us all about it, by Crom!

And if you do not listen, then to hell with you!!!

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    AND ... who's paying it for me.
    Kazoo
  7. Ehm ... yeah. That one too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If it's like the footage i've seen from that event, i won't be buying.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. ola cool
    another DVD punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Christodoulides wrote

What exactly is it lacking?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    WHERE will it be available?

To be sold during the Festival and soon after, in specialized shops.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Dommage. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

IF it's the one i've seen on one draft dvd i was sent a couple of years back, it's very amateurish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

IF it's the one i've seen on one draft dvd i was sent a couple of years back, it's very amateurish.

I think it is the same version (not sure, but almost) but with an improved sound (5.1). I´ll let you know once i´ve watched it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, what kind of improved sound is that? I mean if they didn't record it ON LOCATION using many properly placed microphones in surround recording technique-set up, they properly made it afterward through 2 channel stereo matrix procedure which isn't proper surround.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Honestly, I don´t know the details. I just copied / pasted what they published in the web. Let´s see what it is all about once I put my hands on it.
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    ...they properly made it afterward through 2 channel stereo matrix procedure which isn't proper surround.

But to the ordinary punter does it sound the same?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009 edited
    hi guys, for those who might be interested... i am selling 'the touch' score on dvd:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Touch-OST-by-Ba … 1|294%3A50
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...they properly made it afterward through 2 channel stereo matrix procedure which isn't proper surround.

But to the ordinary punter does it sound the same?

Properly recorded and edited surround has nothing to do with stereo matrix pseudo-surround. Now if it sounds the same or not to one's ears, is anyone's job to decide for theirselves. I am glad that i know the difference smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009
    How can you?
    Do you actually hear it (and if so, what is it you hear), or do you need equipment (sound/spectrum analyzers) to ascertain the source?

Just curious.