• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2009
    Bregt wrote
    It's three years ago that Basil passed away. Main Title of the Week is a suite of some of his themes, from YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/v/Me8jrklLK7A

sad
    Upsetting to this very day.

Nice tribute, Bregt. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed. sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Wow , has it been three years already ?!
    One of my all time favourite composers who's sorely missed ... sad
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  1. He is my least played A-list composer, that's for sure. That's because I don't have too much of him. But I'd like to have more.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    He is my least played A-list composer, that's for sure. That's because I don't have too much of him. But I'd like to have more.

Unfortunately for such a huge talent Basil only rarely hit into A-list territory, he was mostly a b-list composer, shocking really, the man had far more talent than some of the 'so called' A-list working then and now.

And yes Gilles, discover more Basil, you will be rewarded.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. What would you guys recommend? I'd like to stay in the style of his more bombastic, melodic scores.

I have:
    Conan The Barbarian
    Robocop
    The Hunt For Red October
    Starship Troopers
    Les Misérables
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    What would you guys recommend? I'd like to stay in the style of his more bombastic, melodic scores.

Based on your preferences here is what I would recommend.

Conan The Destroyer
    The Jungle Book
    Flesh + Blood
    Lovesome Dove
    Quigley Down Under
    The Touch
    For The Love Of The Game

You'll find plenty of bombast and melody in those scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    What would you guys recommend? I'd like to stay in the style of his more bombastic, melodic scores.

Based on your preferences here is what I would recommend.

Conan The Destroyer
    The Jungle Book
    Flesh + Blood
    Lovesome Dove
    Quigley Down Under
    The Touch
    For The Love Of The Game

You'll find plenty of bombast and melody in those scores.

-Erik-

A superb selection of recommendations from Erik, to that I would add his gorgeous score for Farewell To The King.
  3. Some of those I've already heard through Thomas. But I agree I should check all of those out more, I remember liking them anyway, but never got around to actually buying 'em. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There's hardly any bombast in FAREWELL TO THE KING and practically NOTHING in LONESOME DOVE. And not having heard either, is there really much in THE TOUCH or FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME?

However, there's also ROBOCOP 3. I think that qualifies.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. No Robocop 3 did nothing to me. Quite inferior to the first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    No Robocop 3 did nothing to me. Quite inferior to the first.

OK, but it couldn't be because it wasn't bombastic, because it surely was.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Lonesome Dove is a wonderful thematic score, by no means bombastic, but very melodic.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    There's hardly any bombast in FAREWELL TO THE KING and practically NOTHING in LONESOME DOVE. And not having heard either, is there really much in THE TOUCH or FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME?

Yeah... but there is plenty of lush, thick. memorable melodies which I think he will like. And there are some MONSTER cues in For The Love Of The Game... full orchestra and choir!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Yeah... but there is plenty of lush, thick. memorable melodies which I think he will like. And there are some MONSTER cues in For The Love Of The Game... full orchestra and choir!

-Erik-

True. I guess I thought he was only after the big bombastic stuff, but I see now that it's probably more like EITHER bombastic and melodic OR melodic.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    Some of those I've already heard through Thomas. But I agree I should check all of those out more, I remember liking them anyway, but never got around to actually buying 'em. beer

Indeed, I have The Touch, Quigley Down Under, Fore Love of the Game and a nice suite of Farewell to the King, I'll bring them over next time, because Poledouris is still a god if it comes down to quality A List music punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    'Poledouris is still a god if it comes down to quality A-list music'

Amen to that bro beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009
    Erik, thanks for the list!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BSX has released a new Poledouris twofer, Wind and A Whale for the Killing. I know Wind (and like it), never heard the other one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    shocked Really?

I don't have A Whale For The Killing and I've not heard it either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's mainstay Poledouris: an emotional theme, lyrical, wonderful orchestration.

Too bad I already own Wind (which wasn't cheap either angry )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

When did you buy it? I got it in its previous re-release (on Citadel) a few years ago. Don't remember it being at all expensive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bought it in 2006, and my database tells me my memory is wrong: while it is a limited edition (1500 pressings) it wasn't really all that expensive at $19.99 (I thought it was $40.00).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Bought it in 2006, and my database tells me my memory is wrong: while it is a limited edition (1500 pressings) it wasn't really all that expensive at $19.99 (I thought it was $40.00).

I can't even remember where I got my copy but it's the Japanese release and it was relatively cheap and I remember being surprised that I found it at a good price because I don't think it was that cheap from regular film stores I used to frequent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

Nice to read this description!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I've already ordered the rerelease.
    Hey. It's Poledouris. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I picked up Whale for the Killing (Aries release) just a few weeks ago .
    Pretty cheap as well , € 8 !
    Too bad the quality of the recording isn't the best .

Robocop 3 could also do with an expanded release IMO .
    I'm shure Basil has written more material then what innitially was released on the Varèse disc ?
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  7. The "complete" (don't know if that's true) boot runs 69:37, so there is more.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.