• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I find that I go through phases of listening to CDs for a while and then preferring to listen to "best bits" - usually on my mp3 player. At the moment (and it's been like this for a while now) I'm mainly listening to my favourite cues from all my scores.

What's peoples' preferences at the moment? Whole scores or "cherry-picking"?

NP: "Renton Thurston" - Psalms of Planets: Eureka seveN - Naoki Sato
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2008 edited
    Funny... at home, while I'm working, I listen to complete albums... but on the road I'm currently listen to my "My Favorites" playlist.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. I make playlists all the time and listen to them these days. I used to 'edit' suites of 70 minute score cds using the best 30 minutes on the album. Just as often however I find myself listening to complete albums. If there's a whole bunch of alternate cues or source cues at the end of an album, I'll usually avoid those.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2008
    Depends on my mood. I use winamp and tend to mark my favorite pieces from each score with an asterisk so if i'm in the mood for REALLY good stuff i like, then i set up winamp playlists of the asterisk tracks from each score. Usually deeply melodic, moving, touching stuff or extremely dark dissonant stuff a la Goldenthal or Giacchino and sometimes hellish-loud action music when i'm in for that.

But when i'm on the pc, working or studying something light (otherwise i can't have music along) then i am always in for the full listening experience as it was intended, apart of course (almost with no exceptions) songs, heavy mickey mousing, screaming sopranos, TOO irish / celtic kind of tracks that get tossed immediately out of my playlists from the very first listens of each score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    For me 95% of the time I will listen to the whole score as it appears on the album. Just once in a while I skip the songs or other tracks that are not from the composer, like classical pieces that appear in the movie etc. I have quite a bunch of 70+ minutes albums so I fully devote my time to absorb them, from the first to the last minute, while I'm on my PC doing other things I can do while playing music (that doesn't include gaming, which just distracts me). And when I feel like it, I will take selected tracks only, but that happens only rarely.

I once listened to Cutthroat Island 2 times in a row, I just enjoyed the first listen so much, I had to immediately repeat that musical high, needless to say I was a little exhausted afterwards.

Same for the Star Wars Special Editions: I try to listen to 'em in one go. Doing otherwise I would consider blasphemy!! Though I don't always enjoy the source music.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Usually whole albums though I'll often skip tracks I don't like.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    Generally I listen to scores the whole way through, but I do like to make compliation CD's of some of my favorite tracks to listen to in the car... They both have their place in my world.
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I run at night and found myself making a CD every few days. It was always fun to change things up.

Now I have myself a good cheap MP3 player to run with. Yes! punk

Now I have more blockbuster and gas money. cool

Are gas prices rising everywhere in the world? I'm sure it is, cause the price of oil is the same for everybody.
    Or am I misinformed???? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I usually listen to the entire score on the CD player, and rarely also make my own compilation CDs, especially for scores where there are more songs and less score, like Alan Menken's Disney classics.

But on my iPod I generally keep only those tracks from albums that I listen to a lot, in order to save space. Of course, for great albums where every track is worthy of a listen, I keep 'em all wink

omaha wrote
    Are gas prices rising everywhere in the world? I'm sure it is, cause the price of oil is the same for everybody.
    Or am I misinformed???? confused

No, you're not, mate. Out here in India it's considered a miracle if oil/gas prices decrease by a single rupee these days. They're growing like every two weeks or so slant
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It depends what I'm doing. If I'm specifically listening to music for listening to music's sake, I'll only listen to the best bits (and I'll be switching between scores every few cues).

If I'm travelling then it will be either an entire album or a playlist of my favourite cues. Just browsing the net, doing my site and stuff like that I'll have my entire collection on random (I'm really surprised how much stuff I have that I don't know sometimes!).

And if I'm studying or doing something important, it will either be no music or something that's really a drone i.e Michael Clayton, United 93... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Please, for the love of God, DO NOT compare stuff like MICHAEL CLAYTON with UNITED 93, never, never again; Please.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    When did I compare them? dizzy wink They're both drone scores, hence why I listen to them when I'm studying... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm a complete albums man myself, the exception being when I'm in the car and I listen to my compilations (including, in my new car, MP3 CDs - so I now have a five-hour Goldsmith compilation which I can stick on random play - great fun)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Mostly complete listens. It kills me when I have to quit an album earlier because I have to leave. Anyway, I have these moments of just random selecting various tracks, mostly from more recent scores, or from the classics.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The worst thing is when you actually make time to listen to an entire album (it's a big thing for me!) and something gets in the way about half way through, crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Southall wrote
    I'm a complete albums man myself, the exception being when I'm in the car and I listen to my compilations (including, in my new car, MP3 CDs - so I now have a five-hour Goldsmith compilation which I can stick on random play - great fun)

You make me wish I had a MP3 too in my car. Just randomize and hit the road! Would be sweet... punk

Anthony wrote
    The worst thing is when you actually make time to listen to an entire album (it's a big thing for me!) and something gets in the way about half way through, crazy

Even worse is when it's during one of those tracks you really enjoy, one that builds up to glorious crescendo, all of a sudden you have to push pause because people need you, you return only to find you're completely taken out of the experience. I hate that... crazy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote

Even worse is when it's during one of those tracks you really enjoy, one that builds up to glorious crescendo, all of a sudden you have to push pause because people need you, you return only to find you're completely taken out of the experience. I hate that... crazy

Oh man, I had to stop Cutthroat Island on the last cue about 15 seconds from the end once (this was just the OST, not the complete). explode
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Oh man, I had to stop Cutthroat Island on the last cue about 15 seconds from the end once (this was just the OST, not the complete). explode

Man, doesn't life just kick you in the teeth sometimes!

(15 seconds...get a life )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Exactly, 15 seconds! 15 seconds left before a convenient time for me to be interrupted! biggrin It happens a lot when you've got music on the car stereo and you arrive wherever you're going and the person turns the engine off. You think ''damn, why couldn't you just let that finish?'' tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2008 edited
    I almost always listen to complete soundtrack ALBUMS in one sitting (time and listening stamina permitted). I just don't necessarily need the SCORES to be complete on those albums. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2008
    Thor wrote
    I almost always listen to complete soundtrack ALBUMS in one sitting (time and listening stamina permitted). I just don't necessarily need the SCORES to be complete on those albums. smile

Spoken like a true Thor!

I was going to put this icon after that > rolleyes

But I know you too well so it's this > beer

wink cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I'm a cherry-picker. I use itunes, and rate the music I hear from 1 to 5 stars. I have a playlist that includes all the tracks I've rated 3, 4 and 5, and I play that list most of the time. Currently there are almost 4000 tracks in it. I've only rated about a 1/5th of my collection so far so this playlist will become much bigger in time.

When I give something 3 stars it's either because I like it or because I think I might come to like it in the future, so I end up getting to know my collection alot better when I play this playlist on shuffle.

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm going to have the fun of setting up all my playlists again tonight. This will use up valuable Crysis time! sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I use my star system as a code:
    one star means a song/album is going off on the next sync.
    Two stars that I need MP3gain to adjust the tracks (there's a lot of two stars on my machine right now. sad )
    Three that I need to add a particular track to a particular playlist (still need to remember which one though sad )
    ...and I had something for four and five stars as well...but I can't remember what, so now there are three or four orphaned tracks out there... sad

I'm having a lot of fun creating playlists.
    I just created a HUGE Western one, a TITANIC Adrenalin one (loads of Arnold, Zimmer and Powell there biggrin ) and am currently starting on a Melancholy, a Chill and a Sci-Fi one.
    My life is SO rich and full! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    angry I use way rolleyes too many emoticons biggrin these days. explode
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And I just do it by album. biggrin

I've never thought of doing different ''moods'' before. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That's because you're not completely and utterly sad, probably.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good one!
    a "complete and utterly sad" playlist.
    Wonder what I should put in there? Probably all my "music from and inspired by..." albums...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    If I ever made a playlist like that, it would certainly be an ''action tracks that are longer than 4 minutes long'' one. I hate listening to loads of short cues. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thus Herrmann is not your thing Anthony! I think he had more cues per soundtrack than anyone.
    listen to more classical music!