• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009
    Honestly I am in two minds now.
    I should look into a proper migration option of any alternative, as I've tweaked iTunes so immensely it's not all that easy to do all over again.

But it's a program that annyos the beejesus out of me: on a PC it's SUCH a memory hog it extremely frustrating.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Songbird could be an iTunes alternative soon. It's a Mozilla open source project for playing music, videos, playlists, libraries, add-ons, built-in LAST.fm, ...
    http://getsongbird.com/

Songbird does already support a small range of iPods:
    http://wiki.songbirdnest.com/Docs/Devic … ce_Support

Thanks for that Bregt; i need such a software; will check it out!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    This is how I manage my music: one directory per cd, properly tagged and with an m3u (playlist) file. For my old iPod, I just drag & dropped those m3u files into the left column of iTunes, by which it added the tracks and the playlists. But now my iPhone has better navigation by album, so I don't need playlists anymore.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Rian wrote
    iPhone has better navigation by album

Something that is severely, severely lacking in iTunes. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    Rian wrote
    This is how I manage my music: one directory per cd, properly tagged and with an m3u (playlist) file.

This is how i do it too; as for iPods and such, i don't own one nor do i plan too; earphones and their sound quality compared to proper systems, aren't my thing. And i always prefer being aware of my surroundings instead of isolating myself via mp3's. Truth to be told i usually drive and i don't use public transport so much these days and i don't run or cycle either, as i do those things in the gym these days where there already is too loud music but generally speaking, I ant my music listening experiences to be proper and undisturbed by external factors.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I've just updated iTunes to 11.1.2.31 and the updating process seemed to go okay.

But there's one thing that seems to have messed up my smart playlists and that's iTunes seems to have added all the iCloud tracks that I have bought but not added to iTunes.

What I tend to do is to use iTunes as a way of playing my favourite tracks: I buy an album from iTunes, keep the tracks I want to hear again and then transfer the whole album to external hard drive. But my smart lists know that there are tracks "missing" from my library and include them in the playlist anyway. Is there a way of not having these appear in these smartlists? I thought that I had managed to get around this by adding a rule to the smartlist that restricts the tracks to those located on my PC. But when I do that, I only get a fraction of the tracks that I know are on my PC. Where are the others? And does iTunes define "located on the PC" as those that are in the iTunes Media folder (I have a couple of other folders that I use to add to my playlists)?

At the moment I have had to make my own playlist of the tracks I know I want to listen to (excludes all the iCloud tracks) but it is only really a workaround.

Also, if these iCloud tracks are in a playlist, will they play via streaming or (worse still) download automatically?

Cheers for any help!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've just updated iTunes to 11.1.2.31 and the updating process seemed to go okay.

But there's one thing that seems to have messed up my smart playlists and that's iTunes seems to have added all the iCloud tracks that I have bought but not added to iTunes.

What I tend to do is to use iTunes as a way of playing my favourite tracks: I buy an album from iTunes, keep the tracks I want to hear again and then transfer the whole album to external hard drive. But my smart lists know that there are tracks "missing" from my library and include them in the playlist anyway. Is there a way of not having these appear in these smartlists? I thought that I had managed to get around this by adding a rule to the smartlist that restricts the tracks to those located on my PC. But when I do that, I only get a fraction of the tracks that I know are on my PC. Where are the others? And does iTunes define "located on the PC" as those that are in the iTunes Media folder (I have a couple of other folders that I use to add to my playlists)?

At the moment I have had to make my own playlist of the tracks I know I want to listen to (excludes all the iCloud tracks) but it is only really a workaround.

Also, if these iCloud tracks are in a playlist, will they play via streaming or (worse still) download automatically?

Cheers for any help!

Sorted (I think).

I had to go into Edit > Preferences > Store and uncheck the "Show iTunes on the Cloud Purchases".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2013 edited
    Alan, I can't help really with iTunes-purchased items or iCloud: I never use those.

But the smartlist option intrigues me: it should work the way you want it to.
    Could you share the "rules"you have set up to find the right tracks?
    And additionally: where are your purchased iTunes tracks downloaded on your PC? What's the location?

EDIT: ah, apparently you have sorted it out already. smile
  3. Thanks Martijn for your thoughts on how to get around this problem I had.

It is a bit baffling. When I buy albums or rip CDs I always set the genre as "soundtrack". This laptop I use is where I just keep my "favourite" tracks rather than whole albums (those are on an external drive that's used in the desktop), so I am forever selecting tracks as "favourites" and then moving the albums off the laptop to the external drive. So the smart playlist "Soundtracks" has a rule to play anything with the genre as "soundtracks". Simple. But the new iTunes adds the "missing" tracks to this playlist (but marks them as being downloadable from the iCloud since they are not on the computer). It seems that the smart playlist gathers the list from the total purchases as well as those tracks on the computer.

I thought that I could get around this by defining another rule to include only those tracks on "this location" - which I thought would be a way of excluding the ethereal iCloud tracks. It did but it also removed a portion of tracks that were on the computer. Why I don't know. I used to use MediaMonkey before iTunes and so there are 3 locations that I have for my library: two that I have defined (both with a folder structure including "mp3 backup (soundtrack) " as well as the iTunes-defined "iTunesiTunes MediaMusic" path. I thought that the location chosen by iTunes would be this latter folder since it's its own preferred location. But no. The number of tracks in this preferred folder doesn't correspond with the number of tracks in the location-ruled smart playlist!!

I eventually sorted it out using the method I listed above. But, it wasn't an easy find.