• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2008
    As I'm sure a few of you know, I've recently got a new PC, meaning I've had to transfer all my music over to it. I've actually re-organised it all so all the folders are different too.

I've added everything back into iTunes but when I sync my iPod, it puts all the tracks in some random order. The only way I can get them to play in order is to set up a playlist. I don't really want to have to do this again, as I've got over 300 scores to add (I would have saved my previous settings, but as I said, I re-organised everything).

Is there a program or script that will create a playlist for all the different albums I've got on iTunes? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't.use.iTunes.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    What do you use then, out of interest?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Don't.use.iTunes.

Ignore Demetris.

Anthony... get on MSN messenger and we can go over this in real time. I'm having a hard time understanding what your problem is. I will PM you with my MSN accont info and we can get started.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Winamp. Small, too easy to use, effective, has everything you need innit and a great equalizer, VERY easy on the computer's resources, trouble-free.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I don't want to use iTunes. I freakin' HATE iTunes. I hate everything with ''i'' infront of it. I just received an iPod as a gift and as it was better than my previous MP3 player I chose to use it. iTunes is one of the worst programs ever made. The only reason I do use it is because I can't find a single custom program that works properly.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Don't.use.iTunes.

Ignore Demetris.

Anthony... get on MSN messenger and we can go over this in real time. I'm having a hard time understanding what your problem is. I will PM you with my MSN accont info and we can get started.

-Erik-

I was sure Erik was working for friggin APPLE.

And Debney.

And Giacchino.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Winamp. Small, too easy to use, effective, has everything you need innit and a great equalizer, VERY easy on the computer's resources, trouble-free.

I use Winamp on my PC, but you can't sync an iPod with it! slant sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    I don't want to use iTunes. I freakin' HATE iTunes. I hate everything with ''i'' infront of it. I just received an iPod as a gift and as it was better than my previous MP3 player I chose to use it. iTunes is one of the worst programs ever made. The only reason I do use it is because I can't find a single custom program that works properly.

Now you'll hate the iCraps even more mate, once you start dealing with the you'll see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Don't.use.iTunes.

Ignore Demetris.

-Erik-

And Debney.

And Giacchino.

Actually, I'm a PC person but I do all of my video editing on a Mac. As for iTunes, I've never had a problem with it. Do I wish that I could go back and use something with less memory consumption like Winamp... sure... but I've used iTunes for years now and haven't had one problem.

As for the iPod... I've owned three... Gen 1, Gen 3 and the iPod Video. All three work like a charm and ALL three are still working to this day. The Gen 1 I gave to a friend when I purchased a Gen 3 and now my brother owns my Gen 3 when I got my latest one FREE from my former employer. And now my wife is the HAPPY owner of a brand spanking new 4GB iPod Nano and she loves the shit out of it! A great product.

-Erik-

PS - Anthony - Winamp supports the iPod.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

What the fudge?! shocked

Can you sync it and everything?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've had my aluminum 8GB Nano for ages, haven't had one fault. It's brilliant! Battery lasts for ages, it's easy to control without looking at it which is handy for cycling and it's hardly noticeable in your pocket. Couldn't ask for more!

I bought a 16GB iPod Touch, but I rarely use it because it's just not as practical as the Nano - clever though it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Don't.use.iTunes.

Ignore Demetris.

-Erik-

And Debney.

And Giacchino.

Actually, I'm a PC person but I do all of my video editing on a Mac. As for iTunes, I've never had a problem with it. Do I wish that I could go back and use something with less memory consumption like Winamp... sure... but I've used iTunes for years now and haven't had one problem.

As for the iPod... I've owned three... Gen 1, Gen 3 and the iPod Video. All three work like a charm and ALL three are still working to this day. The Gen 1 I gave to a friend when I purchased a Gen 3 and now my brother owns my Gen 3 when I got my latest one FREE from my former employer. And now my wife is the HAPPY owner of a brand spanking new 4GB iPod Nano and she loves the shit out of it! A great product.

-Erik-

Fair enough.

Now explain to me working for Debney and Giacchino. tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    From what I remember from Ubeda, Debney has one hot assistant! tongue biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

What the fudge?! shocked

Can you sync it and everything?

As far as I know. Just do a Google search for Winamp and iPod and you will find instructions on how to do it. It's pretty simple from the look of things.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2008 edited

lol

"Wroooong. This is the I-Rack as we intended. Mission acomplished"
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2008
    I've had no problems with iTunes so far, BUT -and I stress this is a Jennifer Lopez sized but- I haven't used my iPod with two different machines yet.
    That, I think, is where iTunes fails grossly: its sync function isn't a synchronization AT ALL.
    Synchronizing implies a TWO-WAY update.
    In fact, iTunes just updates. I have not been able to manage my iPod from a different machine that does not have the exact same access (path direction and naming convention included) to my physical MP3 store.

While I'm quite happy with iTunes so far, I will probably in the very near future switch to Floola, an iTunes alternative that manages your MP3s on the iPod proper rather than through your central MP3 store.

Incidentally, Anthony, I can personally vouch for Erik's prowess and didactive gifts concerning iTunes: I'm not at all sure I could have started so easily with my machine without his invaluable help (thanks again, Erik! kiss )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2008 edited
    Exactly. It copies EVERYTHING over unless you specify it not to. At first, on my smaller iPod, I put all the music I wanted to into playlists. When I wanted to take music off, I'd just delete the playlist, but I didn't realise for ages that it was still copying all the music accross (even the stuff that I couldn't see as I had no playlist for it). Hence, the space on it kept getting smaller and smaller until I figured it out.

And I will inspect this Floola thing (I still need to talk to you Erik on MSN to!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yah, that's a problem as well (being able to ADD music through playlists, but not REMOVE it: you have to do that through the main library).

I can see the logic behind it though: I have many songs now that appear in multiple playlists, so it makes sense that any truly proper update is done through the main repository. But it IS something you need to be aware of, as it isn't very intuitive, as far as I'm concerned.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Yah, that's a problem as well (being able to ADD music through playlists, but not REMOVE it: you have to do that through the main library).

Nope. Wrong.

You can use playlists to add and take off music from your iPod. Using my method you can MANUALLY update your iPod while at the same time using the the iPod's sync function, which will ELIMATE duplicate tracks and save space but give you full control of what you want or don't want on your iPod

I think I did this with you Martijn... but I'm not sure.

1) Create a playlist called MANUAL UPDATE. This is where you will throw all your albums that you want to add to the iPod. (NOTE - you can still add other playlists to your iPod as well.)

2). When you are done throwing all that you want on your iPod into that folder, plug in your iPod.

3) Once the iPod loads, click your on your iPod in iTunes (IE - Martijn's iPod) and go the the SUMMARY tab. Make sure that OPEN iTUNES WHEN THIS iPOD IS CONNECTED is checked. You can check ENABLE DISK USE if you want but make sure that SYNC ONLY CHECKED SONGS and MANUALLY MANAGE MUSIC is UNCHECKED.

4)Now, go to the MUSIC tab which is in between the SUMMARY and MOVIES tab. Make sure that SYNC MUSIC and SELECTED PLAYLISTS are checked. Now make sure the MANUAL UPDATE playlist is checked (if not then check it) and check any other playlists you want to add to your iPod.

5) Now hit the SYNC button at the bottom right hand of the iTunes screen and your iPod will begin to update.

Now, in order for you to update your iPod all you have to do is add music to the MANUAL UPDATE playlist or delete music from that PLAYLIST and re-sync. Your iPod will now mirror everything that is in ONLY the playlists you selected and NOT your entire iTunes library. Plus, if you make any changes to your ID Tags while your iPod isn't connected, the next time your iPod is plugged in your iPod and iTunes will talk to each other to make sure that any changes that you made in iTunes are made on the iPod. For instance, if you add art work to an album that doesn't have art work on your iPod, the next time you sync, the album on the iPod will now have art work.

Make sense?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, I remember us doing a similar ecercise, but I think it was to illustrate another question I had, so this particular option never registered with me.

I get it, and yes, this should definitely work!
  1. I have a general question about creating playlists - not really specific to iPods.

I understand that when you make a playlist you are making a link to a specific track and adding to a list of tracks that make up the playlist. I assume that after you make a playlist, if you move some (or all) of the tracks to another location these tracks will no longer be played in the playlist since the link has been broken.

What I'm interested in is what peoples' experiences are with making a playlist for a portable player (iPod or mp3 player)?

When making a playlist, do you have to link to the location within the player (if you have a mirror of the player's files on your PC)? And, if you make a playlist from PC-located tracks and sync with your player, are the tracks carried over with the playlist?

I have loads more questions but I'll keep those for later.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I have a general question about creating playlists - not really specific to iPods.

I understand that when you make a playlist you are making a link to a specific track and adding to a list of tracks that make up the playlist. I assume that after you make a playlist, if you move some (or all) of the tracks to another location these tracks will no longer be played in the playlist since the link has been broken.

Nope. The tracks stay in that playlist. All you are doing is creating a new reference track in the new playlist. The only way to delete a track from a playlist is to DELETE it from the playlist.
    NOTE - This is based on my experience with iTunes ONLY!

FalkirkBairn wrote
    When making a playlist, do you have to link to the location within the player (if you have a mirror of the player's files on your PC)? And, if you make a playlist from PC-located tracks and sync with your player, are the tracks carried over with the playlist?

Not certain what you mean here. When I make a playlist, I create a new playlist within iTunes and then drag and drop the track(s) from my main library (within iTunes) to that playlist. The tracks are carried over to the iPod when I sync it up with iTunes.

-Erik-
  2. Thanks for the reply, Erik. They were helpful.

What I was really concerned about was whether I'd have duplicate tracks on my player when I created and transferred over a playlist using the Creative (inferior) equivalent to iTunes.

It seemed to me that duplicate tracks would result in making a playlist of tracks stored on my PC and then carry over the playlist to my player.

I managed to work out how to create a playlist directly using my player to build a playlist and then save all the tracks that I selected.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    What I was really concerned about was whether I'd have duplicate tracks on my player when I created and transferred over a playlist using the Creative (inferior) equivalent to iTunes.

You have me a bit confused there. As far as I know, no device is compatible with iTunes except for the iPod/iPhone, and that device is not compatible with any other software [except with specific iTunes replacements like yamiPod, or plugins for Winamp etc].

When it concerns iTunes (i'm not really familiar with any other software that allows syncing), a playlist is nothing more than references to music your library. (And by library I mean the list of imported songs into the management program, i.e. iTunes.) When synchronization occurs, the whole library is copied over along with the playlists you have created. This means that multiple playlists can point at the same single file on your player's library. It's basically a 1:1 copy, and a song/track will not be duplicated unless it's twice (physically) on your hard disk as well.

This can differ however when you've chosen to manually manage the music on your device (as opposed to complete automatic syncing). For example, I have been playing around with a Winamp plugin for old-generation iPods, and this allowed me to copy from/to the device. Since my device was synced with another pc, this technically allowed me to put duplicates on it (haven't tried it yet).

edit:
    Oh, and be warned. Some software will create a copy of your music if it can't handle the file format your music is in. For example, iTunes will convert wma tracks to mp3 or m4a (aac) automatically.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  3. Rian wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

You have me a bit confused there. As far as I know, no device is compatible with iTunes except for the iPod/iPhone, and that device is not compatible with any other software [except with specific iTunes replacements like yamiPod, or plugins for Winamp etc].

shame

By equivalent I meant something similar to iTunes but for non-Apple based players that can be used for organising music, etc.

As far as this playlisting and syncing, I'm still confused. I'll just go and experiment...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009
    Ahhhh, well, the thing is that no other music organization software works quite like iTunes, so I'm afraid all the hints and tips above aren't really suited to your purpose.

But then it's pretty hard to make any generic comment at all, as most programs will work in their own fashion!

As I only use iTunes (and am only aware of Floola as an alternative -I know there are more, but this is the only one I've checked and tested-), I'm afraid I am of little help either.

But I'm not sure I understand your requirement in the first place!

As to playlists: in Winamp and iTunes when I create a playlist and subsequently move the actual files the playlist entries point towards, the playlist will be "broken" as it no longer can find the file in the place it was first created from.

I have not found any playlist manager that does an automated update (something I think is impossible anyway: it would require real-time monitoring of your ENTIRE system).
    DDon't forget: a playlist entry is just a reference to a file. A "shortcut" if you will. Nothing more.

The simple and very unhelpful answer: completely depends on the MP3 player, the software you're using and your own preferences.

The slightly more generically useful answer: I would always create playlists off the player (if you can) and sync any creations or changes to your mp3 player. It makes for easier housekeeping, especially if you keep your music files on your PC as well!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Martijn wrote
    As to playlists: in Winamp and iTunes when I create a playlist and subsequently move the actual files the playlist entries point towards, the playlist will be "broken" as it no longer can find the file in the place it was first created from.

I have not found any playlist manager that does an automated update (something I think is impossible anyway: it would require real-time monitoring of your ENTIRE system).

iTunes can do that... it can find the file unless it was moved within the same hard disk.
    (I'm using mac so win version may be different)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Really?
    Hmmm... never worked for me. It just comes up with the little exclamation mark saying the file is gone and whether I want to go and look for it? But it's never been able to find it for me.
    Maybe that IS a Mac thing.
    I don't know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Songbird could be an iTunes alternative soon. It's a Mozilla open source project for playing music, videos, playlists, libraries, add-ons, built-in LAST.fm, ...
    http://getsongbird.com/

Songbird does already support a small range of iPods:
    http://wiki.songbirdnest.com/Docs/Devic … ce_Support
    Kazoo