• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Tom, the reason I called mine the 'first review' is because that's exactly what it is. Yours, by your own words, was a "first listen" - therefore, by definition, not a review. It's like me claiming to have the 'first orange', and then you being offended because you already had an apple. I'm not sure why you chose see that as a personal attack on you.

To clear things up for anyone who may be wondering - our 'falling out', as you delicately put it, was absolutely nothing to do with your stroke. I'm sorry it happened to you, but in all my interactions with you I have intentionally made it NOT an issue, because in my experience with others who have gone through similar health problems, they prefer to be treated as equals and not as invalids who require mollycoddling and kid-gloves treatment.

Since you seem to have no qualms about airing dirty laundry in public, and to ensure that I am not accused of insensitivity, from my point of view our 'falling out' was more to do with your totally unneccesary and selfish e-harassing of me to instantly jump to action whenever you sent me a review if I didn't spring up and post it on MMUK immediately, with no regard for what other issues or priorities I may have had in my personal life on any given day.

So that's it. Everyone go listen to The Golden Compass. Tom and I agree - it's excellent smile
  2. Nautilus wrote
    Sometimes It's hard to understand your posts guys...perhaps you sould learn English! vomit

Would you like to us to point out the multiple times you FAIL at english yourself? I'll do so for the rest of the month. Let's see how you feel then.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    Justin, i think that was a joke.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Perhaps I was just expecting too much, but The Golden Compass just didn't appeal to me. There's really isn't anything awful in the score, it's just a bit bland. I'll reserve my final judgment until I see the film of course, but as of now, I'm disappointed.

Desplat is still my favorite modern composer, and I can't fault him for one misstep. It happens to everyone -- big project or little.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There is a compulsive behavior associated with brain injuries. Over time this situation has improved for me. Everyone and I mean everyone has said to me that their behavior toward me has nothing to do with the stroke at all. My partner of 20+ years leaving me had nothing to do with the stroke. My former employer said me not being able to come back had nothing to do with the stroke. People can say what they wish but in my opinion I think otherwise.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    sdtom wrote
    There is a compulsive behavior associated with brain injuries. Over time this situation has improved for me. Everyone and I mean everyone has said to me that their behavior toward me has nothing to do with the stroke at all. My partner of 20+ years leaving me had nothing to do with the stroke. My former employer said me not being able to come back had nothing to do with the stroke. People can say what they wish but in my opinion I think otherwise.

In that case, Tom, if you're fully aware of this unfortunate medical side effect, you should be pro-active enough to let the people you interact with KNOW about it, so they don't confuse something over which you have no control, and which can be worked around, with a negative and damaging personality trait.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David wrote
    Perhaps I was just expecting too much, but The Golden Compass just didn't appeal to me. There's really isn't anything awful in the score, it's just a bit bland. I'll reserve my final judgment until I see the film of course, but as of now, I'm disappointed.

Desplat is still my favorite modern composer, and I can't fault him for one misstep. It happens to everyone -- big project or little.

For the time being i agree with you David.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Agree Jon! It is something I have worked on. At the time I had little idea how demanding I was. There are too few of us not to be friends on the three forums.
    tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    Agree Jon! It is something I have worked on. At the time I had little idea how demanding I was. There are too few of us not to be friends on the three forums.
    tom

Having had many chats with people working as councillors and help to people with brain injuries stemming from illness or accidents (non-congenital, in other words), I can only offer my deepest sympathy and wishes for strength, Tom. It is, without exception, a very arduous road for everyone involved.
    It feels (and is) deeply unfair.
    But it's the cards that were dealt.
    All anyone can do is try and make the best of it, however hard or poor at times that may be.
    But you're absolutely right: it does change things irrevocably. However hard anyone may protest the opposite.
    sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    smile I am grateful on a daily basis that I have recovered as much as I have. And as you said it is the cards we're dealt. I went to a brain injury talk and was told that 98% of the people that go thru a serious injury lose someone or thing close to them so I'm not surprised at all. As you said "it's the cards that were dealt" and you make the best of what you have.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    I have to admit, after giving The Golden Compass three really dedicated listens, it's grown on me. I think it was the fact that I was expecting something completely different that threw me when hearing it the first few times. The subtlety in melody and orchestration really shines when paying close attention to the music. I admit that I rarely listen to scores away from distractions. I'm usually so busy that I'll listen when doing homework, surfing the net, editing photos, etc. Sometimes however, it takes a dedicated listen to fully appreciate a score.

I never thought I would learn to enjoy L'Ennemi Intime, so I suppose anything is possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007
    I just saw a pre-screening of Golden Compass, and am now listening to the score.
    My thoughts: Desplat was the perfect choice for scoring this film, because he is to stereotypical film composing what The Golden Compass is to fantasy literature. If you've read the book, that statement should make sense.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    How is the film in comparison to the book?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The film is actually one of the most solid book adaptions I've seen. They moved the book's ending to the beginning of the potential second film, but I knew that already so I was expecting it. It now ends on the same sort of "the real adventure is just beginning" note that the Fellowship of the Ring film ended on. Apart from that, all the major elements from the book were there and done well. All the characters were presented pretty much exactly like I imagined them (Scoresby and Iorek in particular, not to mention Lyra was just fantastic).
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    Review of Desplat's The Golden Compass from ifmagazine:

http://www.ifmagazine.com/review.asp?article=2184
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2007
    Im in Desplat mood.

Something to recomend me in the same line of Painted veil, Lust Caution or Birth? Im not interested in this kind of Firewall, Hostage thing....Or not in the luzen defence...

thanks (demetris tongue )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Syriana
    The upside of Anger
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Syriana
    The upside of Anger

Syriana....I don't think its in the same way of Lust Caution..Eh? it's more like Spy game with nothing interesting....

Something more in the line I said? beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Although i disagree with that, there's a long suite from De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté (the beat my heart skipped) which is one of the most gorgeous pieces by Desplat you'll ever hear.

Also, have you heard GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING? And SYRIANA, in fact?
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Although i disagree with that, there's a long suite from De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté (the beat my heart skipped) which is one of the most gorgeous pieces by Desplat you'll ever hear.

Agreed. That's one intense piece.
    READ MY LIPS, which is three six minute tracks, is another one of his intense French scores.

(I very much like SYRIANA too, though I understand why some people find it a bit cold as a listening experience.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know mate but i honestly can't understand how one can listen to "Syriana" (piano and orchestral versions) and not melt; instantly.
  4. Hey, I like the abrasive electronic stuff like 'The Commute'. Search me. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007 edited
    @ Golden Compass: I´ve no interest in restarting this discussion, I just wanted to add my thoughts. I don´t have the CD, but I saw the movie last night and thought I could at least say that I found the score to be quite good. I consider it to be more along the usual standards of a movie like this, as they were ten years or so ago; it´s a more classical approach to blockbuster fantasy than, for example, the MV guys would have come up with (though there was that Batman begins rhythm again here and there, and I like its apperance very much, though I know it was a bit different here and certainly not invented for Batman begins, but I´ve come to love it massively since then). During the movie, the score was most noticable during all those journey scenes; at times, it was just a bit too pompous and "spectacular" for my taste, because the movie was a bit more challenging than your usual "fantasy journey" movie. However, the music during that massive battle sequence at the end was nothing but amazing and worked brilliantly.

We stayed for the whole end credits suite, and it was only then that I had the opportunity to listen to and enjoy the more quiet things (a lot), but even the louder parts were better here then as during the actual film. So I think, as a score during the movie it was a so-so thing, but as a stand-alone album I would guess that this score needs a lot of listenings but then will blossom inside your mind and show you what it is worth. I think I´ll give it those listenings as soon as I come up with the money for that CD...

Overall, I´d give it **** stars for now, possibly more after I experienced the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007 edited
    I just discovered that amazon.de has one-minute-long sound samples from every track of the score. That´s nearly half an hour of Desplat´s music I can listen to on continuos repeat! And I´m really enjoying what I hear. It is a damn fine score with many subtleties to like, very different themes to get aquainted to, and certainly my kind of music. With all those discussions about themes and rip-offs and chaotic action, this is quite nice to listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2007
    Interview with Desplat about The Golden Compass
    http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/sotw.asp?ID=104
    Kazoo
  5. the first note you hear on the CD is an electric cello performing a harmonic glissando and that blends with a tuvan throat singer

That man has a knack for texture.

I wish they'd hurry up and get my review online. It's been about two weeks since I sent it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I wonder if Desplat will be upset if the sequels don't get made and all extra thematic planning goes to waste. It doesn't look good for the sequels at this point.
  6. It particularly isn't good for the sequels that those HOBBIT movies are now in production. I can't see a non-major like New Line financing two multi-hundred million dollar fantasy projects in tandem.

I wonder if that flute idea from 'Iorek Byrnison' is the beginning of Lee Scoresby's theme?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    franz_conrad wrote
    I wish they'd hurry up and get my review online. It's been about two weeks since I sent it.

You could have sent it to me, to put it up on maintitles. tongue
    Kazoo
  7. Indeed. I wonder now if I should have. It was a bit more impressive when it was impossible that I'd had the music for more than a week.