• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009
    I'm still waiting for Anthony to post the results of his Leonard Nimoy interview.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    I have an interview with Desplat tomorrow. Very short, only 10 minutes, since he's very busy. I still have to come up with questions, so anyone who's willing, shoot!

This 'Fantastic Mr Fox', what the **** is that all about!?

or

My mate Erik Woods has listened to The Golden Compass 1,327 times and doesn't get it....any tips?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There are very few things I want to ask any composer. Is that odd?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    I'm still waiting for Anthony to post the results of his Leonard Nimoy interview.

He said Evangeline Lilly belonged to me. Sorry. wink

Also less of a question, more of a comment - can Desplat please start writing some louder music as I desperately want another big action score from him.
  1. What's so weird about FOX? People make things like GRINDHOUSE, THE GOOD GERMAN, deliberately retro live action films. Wes Anderson has made a deliberately retro animation film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Bregt wrote
    I have an interview with Desplat tomorrow. Very short, only 10 minutes, since he's very busy. I still have to come up with questions, so anyone who's willing, shoot!

Can you please tell him that it's almost next to impossible to get a lot of his older French scores, and we'd love it if they could be re-issued. Don't know if he can do anything about it but at least it won't hurt to try.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    What's so weird about FOX? People make things like GRINDHOUSE, THE GOOD GERMAN, deliberately retro live action films. Wes Anderson has made a deliberately retro animation film.

Just because other people make weird films doesn't make this film any less weird. Not only does it look shit, but it looks creepy.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Just because other people make weird films doesn't make this film any less weird. Not only does it look shit, but it looks creepy.

And not only does it looks creepy, it looks shit.
  2. Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    What's so weird about FOX? People make things like GRINDHOUSE, THE GOOD GERMAN, deliberately retro live action films. Wes Anderson has made a deliberately retro animation film.

What's next?! People criticising clay-mation because computer-based animation has made it redundant? Or anime because the representation isn't natural enough? wink
    It just looks like a kids stop motion animation from the 80s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote

Is it deliberately retro? I honestly didn't know. Most people in the cinema when I saw the trailer seemed to think it just looked rubbish, so if it was deliberately retro, I don't think the point came across too well!
  3. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Is it deliberately retro? I honestly didn't know. Most people in the cinema when I saw the trailer seemed to think it just looked rubbish, so if it was deliberately retro, I don't think the point came across too well!

There's a bit of a thing going on in the press at the moment about how the crew, who normally don't have to work with auteurs in doing their stop motion work, were very resistant to going back in time to more labour-intensive, artificial methods.

I'm not saying it's going to work for anyone. As we know, kids will watch anything that has a point (and it may not have one), and adults don't tend to like Wes Anderson films, so it could have a fairly narrow future ahead of it. Much as I like LIFE AQUATIC, it does seems like he may have squandered his opportunity to have a big friendly hit by making it too idiosyncratic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

What's next?! People criticising clay-mation because computer-based animation has made it redundant? Or anime because the representation isn't natural enough? wink
    It just looks like a kids stop motion animation from the 80s.

You're missing my point: I'm not criticising the fact that it's retro, I'm criticising the fact that it looks shit. Something like Wallace & Gromit doesn't look shit. This film looks shit. It's very simple!

At least with Aardman Animation, they take a lot of effort to make an old idea look as good as possible, and it works brilliantly. This film they've deliberately made to look shit!

dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    @ all of the above comments:

Coraline.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    BhelPuri wrote
    Bregt wrote

Can you please tell him that it's almost next to impossible to get a lot of his older French scores, and we'd love it if they could be re-issued. Don't know if he can do anything about it but at least it won't hurt to try.

What scores do you mean then?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Inquiétudes
    Toni
    Les péchés mortels
    La femme du cosmonaute
    Le château des singes
    Les portes de la gloire
  4. Steven wrote
    You're missing my point: I'm not criticising the fact that it's retro, I'm criticising the fact that it looks shit. Something like Wallace & Gromit doesn't look shit. This film looks shit. It's very simple!

dizzy

Retro did look like shit, in this case. Saying one thing does tend to imply the other, since all that sets this film apart is that they made it like they were back in 1982.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    More questions? dizzy

Perhaps something about Golden Compass. If he built the score with the idea that there would be sequels. How he developed the theming, etc?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    If I didn't already know the answer, I would want to ask him if we will ever get to hear what he was planning for the two sequels. I am deeply saddened that we do not get a continuation of that franchise, for both the films' and the scores' sakes.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Bregt wrote
    More questions? dizzy

Perhaps something about Golden Compass. If he built the score with the idea that there would be sequels. How he developed the theming, etc?

He will say that there was a theme for Lee Scoresby, which he planned to develop in the sequel. I assume it's a development of the little flute thing that appears whenever he does.

One thing I'd ask about GOLDEN COMPASS, is how the score originally ended. The original closing scenes of the film involved Daniel Craig's character opening up a doorway to another universe, with Lyra and Pan following after him. There was also a very dramatic final scene between Craig and Kidman. If this was scored, how was it scored, and was it disappointing to have that work thrown away when it was ultimately decided not to have the sequels?

Also, how would Lyra's theme have matured by the time - at the end of the trilogy - she realises she's not a child anymore. Would her theme have become intertwined with Will's (a character who is introduced in the second book)?
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I am personally very excited for Fantastic Mr. Fox and think the animation style is something to look forward to. It's unique and highly stylized, and the look is very much what the filmmaker's were going for, I'm sure.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Bregt wrote
    More questions? dizzy

Please ask him if he does get any sleep these days? smile
    What type of film he hasn't done yet that he would like to tackle? Science fiction movies or westerns interest him?
  6. A few years ago Desplat scored a French comedy-thriller entitled L'Enquête Corse.

Sounds like a James Bond-The Incredibles-Johnny English influenced piece. I'd be interested to know whether director Alain Berbérian suggested some sort of Bond homage. And...the score sounds fun and I'm wondering if the experience he had on this film was as enjoyable as his music sounds?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    @ all of the above comments:

Coraline.

Word. Was so stunned by the experience!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Bregt wrote

What scores do you mean then?

Very hard to see them released i am afraid and Desplat possibly doesn't have anything to do with the fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Panthera wrote
    I am personally very excited for Fantastic Mr. Fox and think the animation style is something to look forward to. It's unique and highly stylized, and the look is very much what the filmmaker's were going for, I'm sure.

Exactly! I'm astonished that people think it looks "shitty" or whatever, as if puppet films and animation should only be in ONE particular style?! Talk about lack of imagination and openness towards more original approaches. And yes, it DOES look retro. As I previously mentioned, I'm pretty sure they had an eye or two on Ivo Caprino's pioneering work when they made this. I'm looking forward to it very much.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote
    Panthera wrote

Exactly! I'm astonished that people think it looks "shitty" or whatever, as if puppet films and animation should only be in ONE particular style?! Talk about lack of imagination and opennes towards more original approaches. And yes, it DOES look retro. As I previously mentioned, I'm pretty sure they had an eye or two on Ivo Caprino's pioneering work when they made this.

Agreed. Not every animation film has to look like a Pixar one. Am I the only one a little bit tired of this "Pixar is the salvation of modern cinema" thing?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Am I the only one a little bit tired of this "Pixar is the salvation of modern cinema" thing?

Yes!

Actually, while I think what Pixar has done is wonderful, it's had a terrible effect on animated films more generally, because everyone else has tried to copy them, but has failed to realise that what makes Pixar films good isn't the fact that they are computer-animated (the medium is irrelevant) but that they have good scripts and are made with love. All the Dreamworks (and subsequently other studios') imitations seem to have been done under the mindset that just because it's CGI, everyone will love it.

I'm delighted to see Disney return to hand-drawn animation with The Princess and the Frog (they should never have moved away) and I get the impression that a lot of love has gone into creating it.

There's a room for all styles!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, What sets them apart aren't the graphics (i saw Monsters Vs Aliens last night which on the graphics-side is breathtaking but empty on all the other aspects) but their soul and heart. In this manner, yes they are one of the few spotlights of genuine beauty and heart in all things Hollywood these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

dizzy

Retro did look like shit, in this case. Saying one thing does tend to imply the other, since all that sets this film apart is that they made it like they were back in 1982.

Some retro things look good, some retro things don't. It depends on what is being revisited, not the fact that it's revisited in the first place. I liked the look of The Good German because I think there's a certain charm to an old looking live-action film. I don't like the look of Fantastic Mr. Fox because I think it looks cheap and creepy. Again, it's not the retro thing I'm against... it's the fact that it looks horrible. I can't explain it more simply than that. No amount of comparisons or arguing implications is going to change my mind about it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I kinda liked what i saw in the trailer btw shame