• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Bora could stop him.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010
    That's one helluva hooter the Prof has got! dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Haven't managed to finish the album yet. But I'm sure I'd like the action stuff.

You should. Desplat's score actually makes New Moon somewhat watchable, it's that good. I'm surprised you haven't liked the main theme.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    jeezus, another Desplat, this guy is impossible to stop smile

Better him than the one Justin doesn't stop dissing.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010
    Should be mentioned here that FSM has reported that Desplat has signed on to do the final Harry Potter. While I'm disappointed Williams isn't back, I can't think of anyone better in his absence. Exciting news!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Desplat? Blimey, how did he land that gig? confused

Good choice though. Not that I care about the Harry Potter series in the least, but I am glad that the final is in the hands of a capable composer. This is the kind of Desplat score I can look forward to!
  2. On the basis of Golden Compass, I guess?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Should be mentioned here that FSM has reported that Desplat has signed on to do the final Harry Potter. While I'm disappointed Williams isn't back, I can't think of anyone better in his absence. Exciting news!

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh shit! suicide

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Well, I will be looking forward to this one. If I was born 10 years earlier, I guess my favorite composer would be Desplat!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Broughton, Holdridge, McNeely, Lennertz, Gordon, ... but no, let's go with the emotionless and forever restrained Desplat. angry Please baby Jesus bring back Williams for Part II.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. He's not emotionless, though he is a perfectionist.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Broughton, Holdridge, McNeely, Lennertz, Gordon, ... but no, let's go with the emotionless and forever restrained Desplat. angry Please baby Jesus bring back Williams for Part II.

-Erik-

Don't forget the IMHO, Erik. Or people are likely to think that what you say is correct! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Don't forget the IMHO, Erik. Or people are likely to think that what you say is correct! wink

lol

Well, I will say that ANYONE (except Zimmer) is better than Hooper.

-Erik-
  6. Well... I guess we'll be hearing another Hogwarts waltz!

It would be interesting to see how people would receive a Desplat score for HP. I suspect he would, as he did for NEW MOON, mostly ignore what had gone before in the series.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    That is one of my only fears. I think he is a great choice, but as long as he uses some established themes.
  7. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I would prefer Williams, and would love Gordon to get the gig too. Fenton would also be nice. Will be interesting to see how HP fans greet Desplat's sound.
    There's no mistaking it though, this guy has absolutely taken the castle by charm. Five years ago, hardly anyone knew him. Seven years ago, noone outside of France knew him terribly well.

One of the nice things about the latest FSM Top 40 countdown list is to see 3 new composers have to very close to the top over the course of six years. John Powell, Desplat and Giacchino weren't up there in the top 10 even 3 years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Well, well... if it wasn't John Williams, I was truly hoping for JNH to take up the baton. I don't know how Desplat will score all those high octane battle sequences, but certainly he'll do ages better than anything Hooper did, and he's more than capable of scoring the emotional sequences brilliantly. Bring it on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I would prefer Williams, and would love Gordon to get the gig too. Fenton would also be nice. Will be interesting to see how HP fans greet Desplat's sound.
    There's no mistaking it though, this guy has absolutely taken the castle by charm. Five years ago, hardly anyone knew him. Seven years ago, noone outside of France knew him terribly well.

I have to admit that the fanboy in me came out in the comment above. I'm actually very happy for the man. You're right... the guy pretty much came out of no where (in Hollywood's eyes), has now worked on some very big projects in the past few years, has made a lot of new fans and has really garnered the respect of his peers. Desplat will ALWAYS be a curiosity with me. While I rarely enjoy his scores I do appreciate the fact that the man does have talent, can write some striking music and at times completely blow my socks off with simple, yet affective, incredibly tight and detailed orchestrations.

-Erik-
  8. Things will probably get to the stage where there's too much of a good thing...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm rather indifferent to Desplat myself (as I also am to the other fan favourite, Giacchino), but if he will reference Williams' style and perhaps even themes, this might turn out to be my first full Desplat soundtrack.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    I'm rather indifferent to Desplat myself (as I also am to the other fan favourite, Giacchino)....

Normally you're not slow to embrace new figures and new approaches in film scoring. Why do you think these two have so far failed to get your interest? (I only ask because you normally have an answer for these things! wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I don't know what Thor's answer is, but as for Giacchino, I have seen many movies scored by him and I can't and couldn't recall a single note of the music. The man has the ability to compose utterly indifferent music to my ears.
    I love Desplat, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    I'm rather indifferent to Desplat myself (as I also am to the other fan favourite, Giacchino)....

Normally you're not slow to embrace new figures and new approaches in film scoring. Why do you think these two have so far failed to get your interest? (I only ask because you normally have an answer for these things! wink )

Good question. In the case of Giacchino, it's mostly because I fail to find much an identity in the music (I'm sure it's there, but it's too hidden for me....it's not a Goldenthal or Elfman that LEAPS out at ya). It's "pretty orchestral music", as I sometimes derogatorily calls it, but it's very "Hollywood" and too much of a fan pleaser (other composers in the same category include Broughton, McNeely, Debney, to a certain extent David Newman...). Desplat has a clearer identity, but in his case I assume it has more to do with the harmonic writing. I can hear it soar and swoon, but - as with John Barry - it's not my favourite type of "swooning". I desire more melancholy, perhaps, I don't know.

As far as contemporary film music is concerned, I find that my interest is less in orchestral music (at least traditional neoclassical music) and MORE in alternative approaches (whether electronic, rock, pop and so on).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matt C wrote

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    jeezus, another Desplat, this guy is impossible to stop smile

Better him than the one Justin doesn't stop dissing.

You sure find creative ways from which Jordi can borrow, that altogether manage to imply but avoid directly quoting the name of that German composer. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Desplat? Blimey, how did he land that gig? confused

Good choice though. Not that I care about the Harry Potter series in the least, but I am glad that the final is in the hands of a capable composer. This is the kind of Desplat score I can look forward to!

It's you whom i thought of when i first heard these news. It's definitely the kind of Desplat score you'll love! Boy, this is exciting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    I desire more melancholy, perhaps, I don't know.

Not even Birth, Afterwards and The painted veil, Un prophète and Lust, caution don't satisfy you? Especially Un prophète, Birth and Afterwards, are very dark, melancholic listens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    Well, well... if it wasn't John Williams, I was truly hoping for JNH to take up the baton. I don't know how Desplat will score all those high octane battle sequences, but certainly he'll do ages better than anything Hooper did, and he's more than capable of scoring the emotional sequences brilliantly. Bring it on!

I'd love to hear JNH too (where is he btw? He's been rather "off" the scene for a while...) but i think Desplat will most possibly result in something more original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    On the basis of Golden Compass, I guess?

And Firewall, and Hostage. And parts of Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    I desire more melancholy, perhaps, I don't know.

Not even Birth, Afterwards and The painted veil, Un prophète and Lust, caution don't satisfy you? Especially Un prophète, Birth and Afterwards, are very dark, melancholic listens.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with any of those. Perhaps there's something I like there, who knows?
    I am extremely serious.
  10. One problem that a lot of people do tend to have with Desplat - from Doug Adams wishing he would 'cut loose' through to Erik describing him as overly-restrained - is that the music holds its feelings in check. There's a strong sense of austerity to it. While there are definitely Romantic flourishes (and plenty of them, in my opinion), the sense of reserve is stronger. This makes him great for scoring more complex dramatic situations than say, James Horner seems to be able to do right now, because he doesn't (mind the pun) score points off shoving the viewer so strongly into a new mood. It does sometimes make the music a bit adonyne for the listener though, or those who prefer a more genre-friendly kind of scoring.