• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Here's another rather detailed review of the soundtrack that I wrote a few weeks ago. As I'm an Australian, I haven't seen the film yet, but am looking forward to in the next couple of days.

http://www.flyupload.com/?fid=9245384

Just two notes:
    (i) What Desplat has described as 'Billy's theme' in interviews is what I call the 'Children at Play / Children in Distress' theme - I wasn't aware of his term when I described it;
    (ii) What I call Serafina's theme is probably just a heroic theme for Lyra in general.

Hope it's a satisfying read.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Oh my f***ing God!!! Are you mad? This must be the perfect accompanying piece to the LOTR annotated booklets, just for Golden Compass.

You can be SURE I will read this stuff while listening to the score. But this may need some time. For now, let me say I´m deeply impressed by your efforts...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007
    franz_conrad wrote
    Here's another rather detailed review of the soundtrack that I wrote a few weeks ago. As I'm an Australian, I haven't seen the film yet, but am looking forward to in the next couple of days.

What?!?! There's a new film out that you HAVEN'T seen?!?! shocked wink
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Drink less, Thor. Watch more films! Who needs furniture? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007
    Easy for you to say, who practically LIVE in the cinema complex! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I wrote this a few weeks ago. Now having seen the film and a few interviews with Desplat, I wouldn't mind rewriting it a bit, but I hope what was a fairly exhaustive look at the music for a film I hadn't seen is a worthwhile read:
    http://www.cinemusic.net/2007/12/27/the-golden-compass/

Thanks for Ryan for getting the mammoth thing online.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2008 edited
    Was wondering if anyone heard and / or can comment on MICHOU D’AUBER, music by Alexandre Desplat (2007). Thanks wave

p.s. same goes for his 2007 score to THE VALET
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008
    Btw, what are his projects for this year?
  5. The only one I know of is LARGO WINCH.

I imagine as the year gets going, attachments at New Line Cinema or Focus Features might appear.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    Btw Franz, It seems that The Golden Monkey (track 13) and Riding Iorek (track 14) are going together. Are you sure that your chronological track order is correct?
  6. Yeah, quite sure. That's an album segue. 'The Golden Monkey' cue comes quite early in the film before Lyra flees Mrs Coulter. The 'Riding Iorek' cue comes well after she's reached the North and met Iorek. I think I do mention in the notes that album segues make a chronological ordering not quite flow properly.

The two other segues which don't exist in the film are:
    - 'Serafina Pekkala' doesn't segue into track 10 - 'Lee Scoresby's Airship Adventure', because those scenes came from different parts of the film (and the latter isn't even in the film)
    - 'The Ice Bridge' shouldn't directly segue into 'Rescuing the Children' the way it does. Those cues do follow each other in the film, but there's a few minutes in between them.
  7. New project for Alexandre Desplat:

Afterwards

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … wards.html
  8. Good good. Drama is one area where Alexandre Desplat can be relied upon to come up with the good. Sounds like an interesting film - between this and DISGRACE, Malkovitch has some interesting roles coming up.

Time for Florent Siri to make another American thriller, I think. A hyperbolic ridiculous piece like HOSTAGE, calling for a similarly over-the-top score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008
    Indeed, looking forward for this new Desplat!
  9. The latest Film Score Daily over at FSM lists two other projects for Desplat:

- The Meryl Streep- starring film by Nora Ephron JULIE AND JULIA. Given Ephron's involvement, this is presumably a comedy of sorts.
    - The Will Smith-starring film by Gabriele Mucchino (PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS) called SEVEN POUNDS.

Strange that the FSD article doesn't mention either LARGO WINCH or AFTERWARDS, the two other forthcoming projects. Both the above would be fairly small scale projects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2008
    Nora Ephron... didn't think I'd see the day.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    "On March 13, 2008, The Golden Compass Producer Deborah Forte expressed optimism that sequels could be made, and said that she intends to see them realized" - Wikipedia

I'd love for him to make sequel scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Me too. Aside from John Williams suddenly announcing a load of new film scores on the way, that would be my dream film music news at the moment.
  10. Jerry Goldsmith had somehow managed to come back from the dead, but when he read your post James, he cried out - 'Arrrrggggh! They still like Johnny more!' and dropped dead again on the spot.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Me too. Aside from John Williams suddenly announcing a load of new film scores on the way, that would be my dream film music news at the moment.

What has happenned to Williams? Is he planning retirement? We haven't had any new scores for 2 years. cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    The latest Film Score Daily over at FSM lists two other projects for Desplat:

- The Will Smith-starring film by Gabriele Mucchino (PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS) called SEVEN POUNDS.

Nooooo! As much as I like Desplat, I can't believe that Muccino is not going with Andrea Guerra or Paolo Buonvino. Is this confirmed? I did see it on FSM but didn't see it anywhere else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Southall wrote

What has happenned to Williams? Is he planning retirement? We haven't had any new scores for 2 years. cry

Errrr....Indiana something or other is coming soon.....or so I heard? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    The latest Film Score Daily over at FSM lists two other projects for Desplat:

Nooooo! As much as I like Desplat, I can't believe that Muccino is not going with Andrea Guerra or Paolo Buonvino. Is this confirmed? I did see it on FSM but didn't see it anywhere else.

Why would you prefer those 2 over Desplat? at ANY case?! confused
  11. True. I find it hard to believe Desplat will tiptoe to the temp track like Guerra did in PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS.

Personally, I'd prefer to see Desplat on a French drama for Jacques Audiard, or a superhero film by Florent Siri (director of Hostage and L'Ennemi Intime), but I'll take what I can get.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    True. I find it hard to believe Desplat will tiptoe to the temp track like Guerra did in PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS.

Personally, I'd prefer to see Desplat on a French drama for Jacques Audiard, or a superhero film by Florent Siri (director of Hostage and L'Ennemi Intime), but I'll take what I can get.

Of course, Desplat is a better choice than Guerra any day. But it's just that if the Italian directors don't work with Guerra on their Hollywood projects then it's hard for Guerra to get the bigger projects (yes, speaking as a fan of his work!). Desplat can do the other projects but for Guerra anything like this would be super awesome.

Yeah, I was a little disappointed with the temp track influence in Pursuit of Happyness but I'd rather think he was forced to do so. His Italian scores are much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008 edited
    A new very exciting scoring assignment for Alexandre:

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON

This is David Fincher's new film about a man who ages backwards dizzy

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … se-of.html

mc
  12. YAY! (The only thing that could excite me more than David Shire getting this opportunity.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    YAY! (The only thing that could excite me more than David Shire getting this opportunity.)

Indeed! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. .
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    Excellent news!