• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010
    There can never be enough Desplat; his smaller scores are wholly different universes than his large scores; the tamara dave (?) thingy was quite charming btw, this here, and went completely under the radar. Every score he writes has small differences each time, and certainly - character.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    the tamara dave (?) thingy was quite charming btw, this here, and went completely under the radar.

It hasn't gone under the radar for me, it just took Amazon a month to ship it to me, I will be listening to it soon.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    There can never be enough Desplat; his smaller scores are wholly different universes than his large scores; the tamara dave (?) thingy was quite charming btw, this here, and went completely under the radar. Every score he writes has small differences each time, and certainly - character.

Tamara Drewe, one of the increasingly few scores from him I've yet to listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010
    THE SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP

Sound clips

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/ … hip/Detail
  2. I visited that site two weeks ago...nice jazzy score. Sort of reminds me of Danny Elfman's work on Milk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Er...jazzy? *trembles* I bought it blind because it was like, limited and Desplat-y and stuff... slant
  3. Who buys blind when there are sound clips?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    People who hate sound clips?

I'm afraid that listening to them will ruin my experience of the score, because when I listen to the full score the parts from the clips will disrupt the listening experience due to my brain going "hey, that's the part from the clip!"

But this discussion has happened before and I know I'm like, the only one who feels that way. *shrug*
  4. Fair enough. But I wouldn't worry too much - the score as heard in the film isn't terribly jazzy. There are a few pieces that reminded me a little the big American sound in classical music in mid-twentieth century, but beyond that, wouldn't say jazz was the first thing that came to mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    A bit off topic but....
    Normally I hate jazz, or at least I have a belief that I do, but I actually really like the big-band style of tracks like "Wizard Wheezes" and "The Weasley Stop" in Nicholas Hooper's last Harry Potter score. So, where exactly does one draw the line between "jazz" and "big band" styles...or is there a line...or am I suffering from a case of genre misidentification syndrome?
  5. Scribe wrote
    People who hate sound clips?

I'm afraid that listening to them will ruin my experience of the score, because when I listen to the full score the parts from the clips will disrupt the listening experience due to my brain going "hey, that's the part from the clip!"

But this discussion has happened before and I know I'm like, the only one who feels that way. *shrug*

No, you´re not alone. If I am really interested in a score, I happen to play the sound clips over and over, and yes, the listening experience of the actual album is a bit strange then, exactly what you wrote, "oh, I know that part", and, if the clips are well selected, quite often get a feeling as if the actual album had nothing new to offer. So I shy away from them, too, most of the time, but I can´t help myself with scores I am really waiting for OR for scores from composers where I really don´t know what to expect or where I just wouldn´t care and know I´d probably listen to the clips once or twice only.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I wish i could spare money for blind buys smile
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Samples for DEATHLY HALLOWS:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00494M52O/

Sounds amazing.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  6. Sounds promising. I'll wait to hear a bit more before getting excited. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, those ostinati are brilliant. Has some Elfman-ish qualities to it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Ostinati?? lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, on the low strings. Trademarked Desplat, like in the opening cue for instance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    WANT!

Apart fron the low strings trademarked Desplat the clear use of the piano! wink
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010 edited
    So you're getting the vinyl babe?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I don't know yet! I would surely like that but it's not sure. I'm definately getting the score though!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sounds gorgeous, even at sample level. There's the trademark Desplat sounds like woodwinds, low strings,, a gorgeous piano and some potentially great action music too. This is gonna be great! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeap, on the low strings. Trademarked Desplat, like in the opening cue for instance.

If I hadn't known that I was listen to a Harry Potter score I would have sworn that cue was from The Talented Mr. Ripley.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    I don't know yet! I would surely like that but it's not sure. I'm definately getting the score though!

Well decide and let me know sweety wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Alexandre Desplat: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hall

Soundtrack [Box set, Collector's Edition, Colour, Limited Edition]
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/imag … mp;s=music

:drool:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundtrack-Alex … B0047VEE0U
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    16. Godric's Hollow Graveyard is beautiful.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    16. Godric's Hollow Graveyard is beautiful.....

Because you've heard it before... it's his New Moon theme.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Νο, it's Desplat wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Good for yooooooou! Here's a cookie!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, how kind of you! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Before I clicked the link I was hoping it was a cookie monster video! TWO BIG THUMBS UP!!!

Cooooooookieeeeeeeeeee!

-Erik-