• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010
    Cookie monster is God my friend! :cookie-monster:
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote
    Because you've heard it before... it's his New Moon theme.

-Erik-

Nope. Don't hear it there.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Seriously... right at the tail end of "Godric's Hollow Graveyard." Listen to it again and then play the New Moon theme at :33.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote
    Seriously... right at the tail end of "Godric's Hollow Graveyard." Listen to it again and then play the New Moon theme at :33.

-Erik-

I know what you're saying, I can hear definite New Moon influences (such as "Marry Me Bella") in it, but I don't hear the theme threatening to pop up. I can tell that Desplat lifted part of his Benjamin Button score for "The Will", though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It definitely has New moon influences, but it's a bit more raw and dark, at least sounds like it. Makes me happy, the influence wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010 edited
    Desplat goes epically orchestral and choiry!

However, halfway through the clips, and... I didn't spot any of Williams' themes? Not one of them? And Dobby has a new theme? Is any familiar material coming up? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Now THIS sounds awesome. Can't wait.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    BobdH wrote
    I didn't spot any of Williams' themes? Not one of them? And Dobby has a new theme? Is any familiar material coming up? confused

These are 30 second clips. Desplat said that he will use Hedwig's Theme more than what Hooper and Doyle did "if the footage and if the opportunity lets him" (not quoting verbatim). Conrad Pope can't talk specifics about the score until after November 19th, so no one will know until the movie and CD comes out.

Although I think with this score, I'd be very happy with it even without John Williams' signature theme.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    16. Godric's Hollow Graveyard is beautiful.....

Because you've heard it before... it's his New Moon theme.

-Erik-

Ok. I know that theme as well as anyone (because it's the rare time he could have been accused of being a bit Zimmerish in his writing). But I hear little beyond a harmonic resemblance to one track on NEW MOON ('Edward Leaves' or something, from memory).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Are you really sure you want to defend a Potter score composed by Desplat against Erik? His opinion of Desplat is almost as well known as his love for Williams, so there you go. I won´t even try. See, I am capable of learning. wink

For me, it all sounds great; I´m missing some thematic material here, but after all, these are clips, and I´m sure we´ll get a couple.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bah! It's there... you just don't want to admit it! The first thing that popped into my mind when that 30 second sample ended was New Moon! Anyway, most of what I heard was underwhelming.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Are you really sure you want to defend a Potter score composed by Desplat against Erik? His opinion of Desplat is almost as well known as his love for Williams, so there you go.

Ok... let's hear it.

EDIT - It's been almost 3 months since you have posted anything around here and who's the first person you talk about... me. Now that's predictable. I'm flattered! biggrin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I´m so not doing this. You know your own posts. And we do, as well.
    What´s predictable was your opinion of Desplat´s score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No... please... enlighten me.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    We all have a right to an opinion. Why should you base it on sound clips?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I´m so not doing this. You know your own posts. And we do, as well.
    What´s predictable was your opinion of Desplat´s score.

Well, in all fairness, they were only 30 second clips so I can't judge the entire score based on just those samples... who does anyway... but I found only a few clips mildly interesting. But if you do know me and my true opinion of Desplat then you should know how I'm going to approach my first listen of the complete album when it arrives.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    By getting a bucket? wink

I believe you vomited at least once or twice in this topic ...

Listen, I didn´t criticize you or your opinion. I just said that you have one and that you are very comfortably settled in it which makes it more or less useless to try to convince you of the opposite, especially based on clips. So let´s not make more of this as it is. If, by any chance, you like the album, I´m sure you´ll let us know. And if, by any chance, Williams will do Part 2, I´m sure we´ll hear your outburst of happiness, too.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I still don't understand what you are trying to get at, Ralph. Seriously. You say you and the rest of the world know my opinion concerning Desplat... I want to know what you think you know about me because you might be shocked to know that I'm not that close-minded about the man as you think.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    And if, by any chance, Williams will do Part 2, I´m sure we´ll hear your outburst of happiness, too.

There... that's wrong. I'm absolutely NOT in favour of Williams returning to score Part II.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I think I know you well enough to know that you give each score a fair chance... it´s just incredibly hard for any composer to follow up after Williams; sometimes, even Williams himself can´t do it. biggrin And you are one of those guys who will be less forgiving than others. Can we settle at that?

And regarding Desplat: If I remember correctly, one of the things you wrote was that you try, but don´t get any feelings from most of his stuff. Which is like a death sentence for a score composer.

Erik Woods wrote
    I'm absolutely NOT in favour of Williams returning to score Part II.

How come? And even more important: Who would you prefer? Please tell me it´s not Doyle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I think I know you well enough to know that you give each score a fair chance... it´s just incredibly hard for any composer to follow up after Williams; sometimes, even Williams himself can´t do it. biggrin And you are one of those guys who will be less forgiving than others. Can we settle at that?

I think you find that a good majority of people out there think the same way. I would hate to be a composer trying to out do John Williams. However, if John Williams had only written Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone then Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire would be my favorite Harry Potter score.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    And regarding Desplat: If I remember correctly, one of the things you wrote was that you try, but don´t get any feelings from most of his stuff. Which is like a death sentence for a score composer.

I don't think that's an invalid opinion but I've never closed the door on the man. For instance, did you know that Coco Avant Chanel was one of my Top 10 scores of 2009. The New Moon was very close to making the list as well. Scores like Hostage and Birth get regular spins in my home. And The Ghost Writer, I think, it one of the strongest scores written this year. So since you like to dwell on the negative did you know about all of the positive comments I've made about the man and his work?

Look, I give Desplat more oppourtunities to impress me then any other composer. I've gone back to... let's say... The Golden Compass... 6 time trying to find that hook that will change my mind but alas I can't and have been told my others to give up. wink I would never do that with someone like Djawadi or Jablonsky.

Most around here also know... and I've repeated this ad nauseam... that Desplat is my great film music curiosity. The man has talent. I'm just waiting for him to REALLY open up and show us what he's got.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

How come? And even more important: Who would you prefer? Please tell me it´s not Doyle.

Desplat... let him finish what he started. Deathly Hallows is ONE film separated into two parts. It's like having Williams score the first half of Star Wars and then have Goldsmith finish the rest.

-Erik-
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    However, if John Williams had only written Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone then Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire would be my favorite Harry Potter score.

You would rate Doyle´s approach higher than Philosopher´s Stone? shocked
    I´m really curious now. I think Williams´ approach was a bit too Disney-like, but after all, the first movie is pure Disney, so I thoght it was okay, and it had some beautiful themes, some great suspense and mystery stuff, and good enough action scoring. Doyle, however... wow. Why would you rate it higher?

For instance, did you know that Coco Avant Chanel was one of my Top 10 scores of 2009. The New Moon was very close to making the list as well. Scores like Hostage and Birth get regular spins in my home. And The Ghost Writer, I think, it one of the strongest scores written this year. So since you like to dwell on the negative did you know about all of the positive comments I've made about the man and his work?

No, I didn´t. I only remember your negative comments. It´s probably your image. You should talk to your public relations office. ^^ Okay, honestly, no, I really didn´t. I only remember the most recent stuff you wrote. May be that I read it last year and forgot. I don´t know. You have my apology. But you have a way to rub your negative views in. Most of the time it has to do with the vomit smilie.

Look, I give Desplat more oppourtunities to impress me then any other composer. I've gone back to... let's say... The Golden Compass... 6 time trying to find that hook that will change my mind but alas I can't and have been told my others to give up. wink

Great to hear that you tried so hard. A shame that it didn´t work. Compass especially is a big achievement.

Most around here also know... and I've repeated this ad nauseam... that Desplat is my great film music curiosity. The man has talent. I'm just waiting for him to REALLY open up and show us what he's got.

THAT I remember. The problem is, I think he already did show us, you just don´t realize it (or have other preferences, hence my opinion of your opinion of Desplat). On the other hand, if you really liked some of his scores, what exactly are you waiting for him to show us? Can you name a specific... any kind of score you would like to get from him? Compared to anything that comes to your mind?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Desplat... let him finish what he started. Deathly Hallows is ONE film separated into two parts. It's like having Williams score the first half of Star Wars and then have Goldsmith finish the rest.

-Erik-

Wow, for once we really share an opinion. Let´s mark that day for all eternity. ^^
    On the other hand, I think as the story goes, both films might come across slightly different regarding to their general mood, so it would be possible. But I do prefer to have Desplat on both.

I have to leave now, but I´ll come back to you tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not too hot on Desplat either, but I couldn't be happier if the HARRY POTTER score was the one to finally bowl me over. Like Shore finally did with LOTR.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Ladies - Ralph and Erik - can't you go duke it out in Christopher Gordon's thread, and at least in that way draw attention to an overlooked composer. wink

EDIT - Oh, I see you found some common ground.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
    Desplat is the reason i am for once interested in the Harry crapper franchise :0
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    You're still not interested in the franchise itself, you're just interested in his music which happens to be for it....right? wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap smile
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Christodoulides wrote
    Desplat is the reason i am for once interested in the Harry crapper franchise :0

*brings out the whips and chains*
  4. Based off of those 30-second clips, I think it sounds great...but that surprises no one here, right? wink