• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. There aren't concert suite arrangements, if that's what you mean. The description above is probably the most I can say about it. If I had to describe the score in four words, those would be: RHYTHM, TEXTURE, ECLECTIC INSTRUMENTATION.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. franz_conrad wrote
    ...RHYTHM, TEXTURE, ECLECTIC INSTRUMENTATION.

Sounds good!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Admittedly, this electicism sadly does not extend to the kazoo. wink
  4. I'm actually a little disappointed that there aren't any new waltzes; fantasy films tend to be perfect showcases of that.
  5. From the sound of the album, perhaps a waltz along the lines of John Williams' THE FURY would have been appropriate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    From the sound of the album, perhaps a waltz along the lines of John Williams' THE FURY would have been appropriate.

I thought the same thing!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Thor wrote
    Does it have any thematic "showpieces" or centerpieces, like "Harry in Winter", "Fawkes theme", "Window to the Past" etc.?

I think that the closed thing of that it's Snape To Malfoy Manor and Lovegood. Thoses are the only theme-driven cues of the score.
  7. I wouldn't quite say that. A lot of tracks have melody to them. I don't think anything is a concert arrangement in the Williams-sense though.
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    - I'm surprised there's not more Willliams references in it. Maybe Yates vetoed it, or maybe Desplat just didn't want to go there? Or maybe there's less on the album to save paying royalties?

I must be the only one who has notice a variation of Williams's Voldemort theme in Sky Battle, at 2:15.
  9. I'm not quite sure what you're saying there.
  10. franz_conrad wrote
    I wouldn't quite say that. A lot of tracks have melody to them. I don't think anything is a concert arrangement in the Williams-sense though.

Yeah, me too.
  11. franz_conrad wrote
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying there.

In Sky Battle at 2:15 mark, there's a melody played in the flutes, which sounds a lot like the original Voldemort's theme, written by Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    For those that don't follow the Cinematic Sound thread I've updated my radio show with a 16 minute suite of music from Deathly Hollows!

http://www.cinematicsound.net

Enjoy!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  12. A 16 minute suite would be a good way to take in this score.

yonythemoony wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

In Sky Battle at 2:15 mark, there's a melody played in the flutes, which sounds a lot like the original Voldemort's theme, written by Williams.

For sure, there are subtle touches, and there may be more of them in the score we haven't seen, or very subtle ones in the score we do see. But I was just surprised there weren't more.
  13. franz_conrad wrote
    A 16 minute suite would be a good way to take in this score.

yonythemoony wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

For sure, there are subtle touches, and there may be more of them in the score we haven't seen, or very subtle ones in the score we do see. But I was just surprised there weren't more.

Me too, but that one I didn't expect it. The only way we can be sure it's when the movie is released.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Alexandre Desplat to score The Gardener

Alexandre Desplat has been hired to score the upcoming drama The Gardener. In the movie, a gardener in East L.A. struggles to keep his son away from gangs and immigration agents while traveling across town to perform landscaping work for the city’s wealthy landowners. The Gardener is directed by Chris Weitz who previously worked with Desplat on The Golden Compass and The Twilight Saga: New Moon. The indie drama stars Demian Bichir. No release date has been set yet for the Summit Entertainment movie.

More here:
    http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … -gardener/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  14. Christodoulides wrote

Alexandre Desplat has been hired to score the upcoming drama The Gardener. In the movie, a gardener in East L.A. struggles to keep his son away from gangs and immigration agents while traveling across town to perform landscaping work for the city’s wealthy landowners. The Gardener is directed by Chris Weitz who previously worked with Desplat on The Golden Compass and The Twilight Saga: New Moon. The indie drama stars Demian Bichir. No release date has been set yet for the Summit Entertainment movie.

More here:

shocked This guy never takes a break? I mean, he scored seven films the last year. And in this one six. Amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And they're all amazing too wink
  15. Christodoulides wrote
    And they're all amazing too wink

I only listened to The Ghost Writer and Julie & Julia, I loved both. And I loved a few tracks of The Special Relationship I heard in Youtube.
  16. Christodoulides wrote

More here:

If he gives this a waltz, I will faint.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    *waits for The Burma Conspiracy*
  17. First Deathly Hallows clip. With Desplat's music. You can hear Oblivate's four notes motif in the cellos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0tn0aS8Pcw
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010
    Official: Desplat is scoring Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part Two, as confirmed on the official Harry Potter site. Click on 'About the Movie' and click on Desplat's profile, it confirms his involvement at the end of the article.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I love Williams I really do but for me these are good news! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  18. Stavroula wrote
    I love Williams I really do but for me these are good news! smile

Me too. At least the finale of the saga it's going to have some musical continuity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I would've loved (I mean LOVED) JW to be back to score the finale, but honestly, I'm not disappointed at this. Although I wish it was thematically stronger, I loved the Part I score and Mr. Desplat has clearly demonstrated that he can do great action music (Sky Battle, Bathilda Bagshot), I'm looking forward to see what he does in the end. At least DH should have some proper musical continuity at last. smile
  19. DemonStar wrote
    I would've loved (I mean LOVED) JW to be back to score the finale, but honestly, I'm not disappointed at this. Although I wish it was thematically stronger, I loved the Part I score and Mr. Desplat has clearly demonstrated that he can do great action music (Sky Battle, Bathilda Bagshot), I'm looking forward to see what he does in the end. At least DH should have some proper musical continuity at last. smile

Exactly! I also wanted that Williams comeback but Desplat is good. Besides, he's a Harry Potter fan. Who's best for the job than a Harry Potter fan?

I think that Desplat's themes can be much more developed. Like the four notes motif, that little theme for Dumbledore (which sounds in The Will), the Lovegood family theme (perfect for the Luna Lovegood scenes in Part 2), the dark Voldemort/Death Eaters theme.

Also, the first reviews of Deathly Hallows are showing up, and they're praising Desplat's score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He's a Harry Potter fan? Damn, another composer admiration gone to hell.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    He's a Harry Potter fan? Damn, another composer admiration gone to hell.

Oh dear, Desplat's gone down in my admiration too now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    lol

yonythemoony - Agreed about the themes. I think it's remarkable how subtly Desplat developed them throughout the score. I almost missed Hedwig's Theme the first time I heard Sky Battle! Though restraint is not going to work for Part II and he really needs to go all-out for the final battle. I sure pray so!