• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2010
    Desplat goes up in my admiration?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    He's a Harry Potter fan? Damn, another composer admiration gone to hell.

At least he's not a Twilight fan
  2. DemonStar wrote
    lol

yonythemoony - Agreed about the themes. I think it's remarkable how subtly Desplat developed them throughout the score. I almost missed Hedwig's Theme the first time I heard Sky Battle! Though restraint is not going to work for Part II and he really needs to go all-out for the final battle. I sure pray so!

Me too. Desplat was very subtle with the themes. It takes a while to notice them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    yonythemoony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, he did the world's greatest impersonation of a Twilight fan when he wrote the score for New Moon! beer
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yonythemoony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

...you sure? freezing
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

...you sure? freezing

Yes.

Speaking of Harry Potter and film composers, David Arnold watched Deathly Hallows today and this is what he said:

"Saw harold potter and the deathly hellos this morning.I haven't read the book so don't know much about it,but now I have to see part 2"

About Desplat's score:

"All looked and sounded lovely...the potter films have been a huge part of British cinema for ten years and something to be proud of. Even though they didn't ask me to score one..........*sniff*".
  4. Matt C wrote
    Official: Desplat is scoring Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part Two, as confirmed on the official Harry Potter site. Click on 'About the Movie' and click on Desplat's profile, it confirms his involvement at the end of the article.

Whoo hoo. biggrin biggrin biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    he likes gay glitter ?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010
    "harold potter and the deathly hellos" biggrin

Speaking of the last part, I would've loved to hear Arnold's take on Potter too. At least we do have Narnia coming from him!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    he likes gay glitter ?

Cripes!!! I thought you said Gary Glitter for a moment there!? shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Sound clips from THE KING'S SPEECH:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kings-Speech-Alex … B00474AB7W

Just going on a couple of the clips -- sounds like Desplat may be interpolating Beethoven's Emperor Piano Concerto (included also as a track at the end of the disc), which could be a really nice touch to the score. (His arrangements of the music of others - from the string quintet of Delerue's Contempt to the recent 12-flute Spartacus love theme, are generally pretty exemplary. I also think film composers could make more use of some of the great public domain works of the past, in fresh settings.)

'My Kingdom, my rules' - gorgeous.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010
    ...and I had completely missed that Desplat was doing Harry Potter! Have I been living under a rock?

It will be a sure purchase for me though since I have all the other six scores - the completist vein speaks strongly to me in this matter. smile
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010
    The special relationship

Review

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=881
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2010
    How much additional music will be on the special edition of The Deathly Hallows?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2010
    The official site of the soundtrack shows the tracklisting of the bonus disc, which contains a whopping extra of... 6 tracks. Yay.

http://www.deathlyhallowssoundtrack.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2010 edited
    BobdH wrote
    The official site of the soundtrack shows the tracklisting of the bonus disc, which contains a whopping extra of... 6 tracks. Yay.

http://www.deathlyhallowssoundtrack.com/

Bonus Disc (no track lengths)

1. Voldemort
    2. Grimmauld Place
    3. The Dumbledores
    4. The Tale Of The Three Brothers
    5. Bellatrix
    6. My Love Is Always Here

And looking at the bonus tracks that you can buy from iTunes:

27. Voldemort (4:18)
    28. The Dumbledores (2:09)
    29. Bellatrix (2:11)

So the "Bonus CD" contains only 3 "extra" cues if the doubled tracks are the same on the CD as are currently available on iTunes?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010
    I saw the film yesterday (loved it) and I think Desplat's score works quite well in there. It's quite restrained, but seeing that that seems to be the musical preference of the director, I think he did a great job (especially in a certain tragic scene at the end). The action pieces fit in great with their scenes too.

There doesn't seem to be any particularly noteworthy unreleased music on the regular CD either, except "Bellatrix" from the bonus cues.
  6. DemonStar wrote
    I saw the film yesterday (loved it) and I think Desplat's score works quite well in there. It's quite restrained, but seeing that that seems to be the musical preference of the director, I think he did a great job (especially in a certain tragic scene at the end). The action pieces fit in great with their scenes too.

There doesn't seem to be any particularly noteworthy unreleased music on the regular CD either, except "Bellatrix" from the bonus cues.

I agree. But it doesn't seems too restrained like Hooper's scores. Desplat made a score much more thematic and orchestral. Yeah, doesn't have too many Williams themes, but at least Desplat makes a homage to his style, and the style of the other Potter composers. I'm still enjoying this score.

PD: The Special Relationship is very good. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010
    yonythemoony wrote
    I agree. But it doesn't seems too restrained like Hooper's scores. Desplat made a score much more thematic and orchestral. Yeah, doesn't have too many Williams themes, but at least Desplat makes a homage to his style, and the style of the other Potter composers. I'm still enjoying this score.

Indeed. IMO in both the previous movies there have been instances where the music fell way short of what was required to emphasize the visuals, but I didn't notice anything of that sort this time. The score was very precise and gave every scene what was needed. I've been humming the theme from "Ministry Of Magic" quite a lot too!
  7. DemonStar wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

Indeed. IMO in both the previous movies there have been instances where the music fell way short of what was required to emphasize the visuals, but I didn't notice anything of that sort this time. The score was very precise and gave every scene what was needed. I've been humming the theme from "Ministry Of Magic" quite a lot too!

Yeah, I love that one. There's two themes which I can't stop humming. The Obliviate theme and the Lovegood family theme. I hope Desplat uses those two themes in Part 2.

I would be happy if he uses the Lovegoods's theme for the scenes with Luna. [spoiler]Especially for thoses two great scenes with Luna helping Harry to find Ravenclaw Diadem and then, saving him from the Dementors in the Battle of Hogwarts[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'll be appearing in a national radio program with Alexandre Desplat on Friday!!

It's half-hour special on the music for HARRY POTTER films with myself, the host and the French composer (via telephone). It's part of a new collaboration project that we in montages are doing with them (I refer to them in my upcoming article, they refer to us).

Should be cool! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Great news!

And say hello from me.

wave
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow, neat!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Nice. What are you going to ask?
  9. When is the C&C release of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows out? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    When is the C&C release of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows out? wink

You'll probably have to wait for Erik & Thor's huge petition for release.
  10. Well done thor - that's quite an opportunity. And you have something in common - neither you or Desplat listen much to his music. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010
    Will you let Williams ghost write Part II?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Well done thor - that's quite an opportunity. And you have something in common - neither you or Desplat listen much to his music. wink

biggrin

I've tried to sample his work through Spotify recently, though.

As I said earlier, I have no idea how it is going to conducted...I think the host is going to ask him most questions; I'm just the "local expert", if you could call it that.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Will you let Williams ghost write Part II?

-Erik-

biggrin